Why become a member? ×

Status Graphite Buzzard

garethox

This is my only Status - A B1 once owned by the man himself. He used it on the AWDAR tour of Japan in 2001 (pur awdar in YT to see him play it) and it was also used for JE band gigs. I run it through a Digitech 2120 then through a TE rig - sounds phenomenal and playability is incredible - the bass is set up as John last set it, never been altered. The flightcase tells a story through it's transit stickers too.....
Anyway, pics below....... and if you want to hear it check out:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YChy_aSyUlU&feature=channel_page"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YChy_aSyUlU...re=channel_page[/url] MY GENERATION

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh1B_gj2lWo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh1B_gj2lWo[/url] SUCCESS STORY

Superb!

I got chance to play one of these on the Status stand back in 2000 AD - in fact Guitarist mag took a pic of me demoing it on the stand (I'd got bleached blonde hair at the time - looked like Heinz Burt!) - Rob and Roger Newell can be seen grinning in the background. Allegedly, Status are not allowed to even mention that they made these (we might have to change the name of the thread to Status B1) due to an injunction that Warwick took out just after John died. Rob had to destroy all the moulds etc. Why this happened I do not know but I think its really sad that it did - the B1 was one of the best basses Rob made - the circuit is incredible.

N

[quote name='4000' post='593434' date='Sep 8 2009, 11:21 PM']So is the action as low as everyone says he had it?[/quote]

Yep, there is almost no action to speak of - especially at the first fret. This is the most incredible instrument I have ever had the fortune of playing - let alone owning!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='593499' date='Sep 9 2009, 12:48 AM']Superb!

I got chance to play one of these on the Status stand back in 2000 AD - in fact Guitarist mag took a pic of me demoing it on the stand (I'd got bleached blonde hair at the time - looked like Heinz Burt!) - Rob and Roger Newell can be seen grinning in the background. Allegedly, Status are not allowed to even mention that they made these (we might have to change the name of the thread to Status B1) due to an injunction that Warwick took out just after John died. Rob had to destroy all the moulds etc. Why this happened I do not know but I think its really sad that it did - the B1 was one of the best basses Rob made - the circuit is incredible.

N[/quote]

You are right, the circuit board on the BUZZARD (sod the injunction!) is overwhelmingly good. Chris Entwistle sold the rights to Warwick so Status could not make them - and to have to destroy all that hard work must have been literally heartbreaking for Rob. He couldn't say much to me but he is happy that one of John's flock made it back to the UK and is being used for purpose rather than being stuck on a HRC wall!

[quote name='garethox' post='593510' date='Sep 9 2009, 01:14 AM']You are right, the circuit board on the BUZZARD (sod the injunction!) is overwhelmingly good. Chris Entwistle sold the rights to Warwick so Status could not make them - and to have to destroy all that hard work must have been literally heartbreaking for Rob. He couldn't say much to me but he is happy that one of John's flock made it back to the UK and is being used for purpose rather than being stuck on a HRC wall![/quote]

Can you describe what the circuit layout is, without getting into potential libel? :)

[quote name='acidbass' post='593513' date='Sep 9 2009, 01:18 AM']Can you describe what the circuit layout is, without getting into potential libel? :)[/quote]

Lol.
A lot of John's Buzzard's had 4 control knobs, one of which was a stacked treble/bass control. Mine is one with five knobs and he got it from Status in 1998.
So - there is a volume, mid range (with on/off switch), treble boost/cut, bass boost/cut and a pup pan. The other switch is for the red L.E.D's up the neck. The mid range control can be used as a volume boost or utilised to give a 'wah' effect as in the '5.15' RAH bass solo.
www.Buzzardbass.com has lots of really good info on the Buzzard.....

[quote name='garethox' post='593510' date='Sep 9 2009, 01:14 AM']You are right, the circuit board on the BUZZARD (sod the injunction!) is overwhelmingly good. Chris Entwistle sold the rights to Warwick so Status could not make them - and to have to destroy all that hard work must have been literally heartbreaking for Rob. He couldn't say much to me but he is happy that one of John's flock made it back to the UK and is being used for purpose rather than being stuck on a HRC wall![/quote]

Well done mate - the bass has come to a good home! Yes, I found it really weird when Rob and Dawn told me what had happened - at the end of the day, John had said that the Status Buzzard B-1 was the ultimate bass so why the rights went to Warwick seems very strange. John actually designed it originally, even though the early ones were made by Warwick. I think Status should do one called the NJS Vulture and bass (sic) it on the B-1!!! Now theres an idea!

[quote name='garethox' post='593515' date='Sep 9 2009, 01:24 AM']Lol.
A lot of John's Buzzard's had 4 control knobs, one of which was a stacked treble/bass control. Mine is one with five knobs and he got it from Status in 1998.
So - there is a volume, mid range (with on/off switch), treble boost/cut, bass boost/cut and a pup pan. The other switch is for the red L.E.D's up the neck. The mid range control can be used as a volume boost or utilised to give a 'wah' effect as in the '5.15' RAH bass solo.
www.Buzzardbass.com has lots of really good info on the Buzzard.....[/quote]

Cheers for the info mate! I'm a JE anorak myself, but have always concentrated my affections on his earlier days (the Moon era mostly). Have a few pics of me playing a replica of the Thunderbird-style bass he used at Shepperton Studios, the famous isolated bass tracks one, if you're interested in seeing them.

Danny

Here's that dodgy pic of me at the NEC demoing one of the Buzzards - can I point out that I'm no longer involved with E Basses as a business partner (actually I just sanded the body contours - Ian is now doing much better without me!!) and that my head is not that funny a shape - I was `moving' whilst it was being taken!!! Rob Green's head is sticking out above my right elbow! I did like the comment about the stunning display.....!!!

[quote name='acidbass' post='593520' date='Sep 9 2009, 01:33 AM']Cheers for the info mate! I'm a JE anorak myself, but have always concentrated my affections on his earlier days (the Moon era mostly). Have a few pics of me playing a replica of the Thunderbird-style bass he used at Shepperton Studios, the famous isolated bass tracks one, if you're interested in seeing them.

Danny[/quote]

I actually have an Alembic Exploiter as well Danny. An amazing bass guitar, but to be honest? In it's case since I got the Buzzard! The link below is me playing the 'RAH 5.15' bass solo on it on YT (in one of John's shirts!)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr_eOMEaMio&feature=channel_page"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr_eOMEaMio...re=channel_page[/url]

Would like to see your photo's!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='593524' date='Sep 9 2009, 01:45 AM']Here's that dodgy pic of me at the NEC demoing one of the Buzzards - can I point out that I'm no longer involved with E Basses as a business partner (actually I just sanded the body contours - Ian is now doing much better without me!!) and that my head is not that funny a shape - I was `moving' whilst it was being taken!!! Rob Green's head is sticking out above my right elbow! I did like the comment about the stunning display.....!!!

[/quote]

Cool pic Doc! :)

[quote name='garethox' post='593529' date='Sep 9 2009, 04:36 AM']Would like to see your photo's![/quote]

Here they are sir! Couple of years ago now, so excuse the youthful vigour.

Dummy XLR out, playing card inlays and everything - a painstaking replica! Sounded out of this world, think there was an 18V pre in there. It's still for sale in my local guitar shop!