Why become a member? ×

Wat material strings?

XxBassMastaXx

[quote name='XxBassMastaXx' post='586329' date='Sep 1 2009, 12:47 PM']I want a deep sound and clear tone so what string should i use?[/quote]

I recommend Thomastik Jazz Flats. Are you using SS roundwounds now? If you want to stay with SS roundwound, DR Fat Beams, the Marcus Miller signatures work well for me. LaBella Slappers are also fantastic in many ways. (Think they have nickel AND SS)

I've found nickels give a slightly 'warmer' sound than SS. Try SS first.

Tho' nickel, I used to quite enjoy GHS Bass Boomers, before I switched to Elixirs, which I suspect wouldn't have enough zing for you.

Very much a subjective issue, so you may have to work your way through a few different mfrs / types, etc, before you get the sound you want. All good clean fun.

Unfortunately in the end only you can decide what are the right strings for your bass/amp combination with your playing style. You say you want a deep sound, but one person's deep is another's boomy.

Also you don't say what bass or amp/speakers you're using how you play (fingers pick slap?) and this all makes a difference.

The road to finding the right string for you can be long and expensive. I've found that pretty much every bass I have does best with different strings so I'm currently using strings form Overwater, Pedulla, LaBella, TI, SIT and Rotosound and a mixture of steels and nickels, rounds and flats.

My advice would be to start off by going to your local music store and buying as many different sets as you can afford. Include something average in there like the Rotos you pictured so you have a known starting point.

Also it takes more than 10 minutes for enough people to notice your post and reply.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='586383' date='Sep 1 2009, 11:32 AM']I used to have cat which ended up known as "Wat" - half cat, half-wit.

For that reason I suggest catgut.

Jon.[/quote]

+42

Gut is certainly a traditional string material, but volume could be an issue.