Why become a member? ×

Eggle Milan bass

jmsjabb

There was one for sale near me recently (Bridgend Music) for £400 odd - it was OK in a worthy generic-MM kind of a way; nicely made, good fittings, and very well finished, but sounded a bit bland to me. Probably the shop amp and dud strings didn't do it justice though.

Are you asking about the original Milan range or the 'revived' one that's available again now?

I remember trying an original version and thought it was 'ok' but kinda felt like a bass made by a lead guitar company. Body shape and balance weren't great - for me anyway, and I was a bit underwhelmed by the sound.

Haven't tried the new ones though

[quote name='jmsjabb' post='585850' date='Aug 31 2009, 04:49 PM']I was thinking about the old ones.
Shaggy, do you think it is still there?[/quote]

Almost certainly went last Spring, but I'll check. It was one of the old ones, in a nice honeyburst. The main plus would be having something a bit out of the ordinary, but TBH if you're looking for a handbuilt UK bass I think there are better choices out there.

[quote name='Shaggy' post='585978' date='Aug 31 2009, 07:32 PM']Almost certainly went last Spring, but I'll check. It was one of the old ones, in a nice honeyburst. The main plus would be having something a bit out of the ordinary, but TBH if you're looking for a handbuilt UK bass I think there are better choices out there.[/quote]
Thank you.
I have the Berlin and Vienna 6 strings, and liked the look of the Milan, but have never played one / seen one in real life.
If you have 5 mins, what would you look at at the £400 - £500 mark. I have a Rock bass and like the feel, but hat the cheap finish. I was thinking about a proper corvette...

[quote name='jmsjabb' post='586041' date='Aug 31 2009, 08:32 PM']If you have 5 mins, what would you look at at the £400 - £500 mark. I have a Rock bass and like the feel, but hat the cheap finish. I was thinking about a proper corvette...[/quote]
You'll easily get a used Corvette for that money, Thoman have new ones for just over £500:

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_corvette_std_4_nat.htm"]Thoman[/url]

• 1 year later...

i have a milan iv which built before 2004. decent sound but nothing special.
It looks great with its amazing 1/4 sawn flame maple neck. 1piece mahogny body and 2pieces bookmatch lightly flame maple top. The thickness of top and back is half and half.
noiseless jazz pickups, passive electronics. oh...forget to metion sperzel tuners installed. originally eggle high mass bridge which i believe oemed by wilkinson/gotoh.
set in neck joint which is cool to me...never have a bass with this construction. a little bit worry about the stablity.
bloody expensive but i got mine from evil-bay....

me and Mr.Gordon Tilley at PEG booth,2004 Shanghai Music Expo.

Edited by warnan

I had an original one come my way for a set-up prior to sale by a (non-bassist) friend. It was okay, and played really well. It was, however, rather uninspiring in terms of tone.
They're well made and finished.

Some of the best guitard tone I've heard came from an Eggle thru-neck guitar via a Boss Overdrive, Orange head and 2x12 Marshall cab, so I agree with Molan's comment regarding them being basses made by a guitar company... And it's just as well that's not universally true otherwise we'd have no corking Fenders/Musicmen/Gibsons/Vigiers/Rickenbackers/Yamahas (okay...so they make lawnmowers, too :) )

Here's mine, I've owned it form new, got it in the 90's and it's been rock solid since. I take the point about the sound letting it down a bit, it's not a bad sounding bass, it just lacks a bit of versatility, so I had mine retro-fitted with a 3 band Kent Armstrong eq which transforms it sound wise at very reasonable cost. The standard pickups are Kent Armstrong soapbars so there is a good sound potential in there and they are extremely well made.

I would keep mine for good but I need to raise some funds for a self build "Blingray" so if anyone's interested...........

I excitedly picked up an Eggle Milan at a guitar show at the NEC a fair few years ago (possibly Music Live?), and then quickly put it back down feeling quite disappointed........

I guess I generally go for slim necks, and to me the neck on this Eggle felt like the fat end of a baseball bat! It was beautifully made, and I appreciate that this might have been made to a customer's specs, but I didn't even bother having a noodle 'cause it felt soooo mahoosive.

I've had the oportunity to have a rip on a few Eggle guitars over the years, and they're very nice.

agree with u guys. The stock pickup sounds just ok, not impress me a lot. So i decide to try more jazz pickups, maybe handwound armstrong, maybe villex. I am aslo a kent armstrong preamp user, i installed several of them on my preowned basses....
I like the feel of Milan's neck, pretty much close to the pbass neck feel which is my taste.

[quote name='warnan' post='1251004' date='May 31 2011, 12:58 AM']i have a milan iv which built before 2004. decent sound but nothing special.
It looks great with its amazing 1/4 sawn flame maple neck. 1piece mahogny body and 2pieces bookmatch lightly flame maple top. The thickness of top and back is half and half.
noiseless jazz pickups, passive electronics. oh...forget to metion sperzel tuners installed. originally eggle high mass bridge which i believe oemed by wilkinson/gotoh.
set in neck joint which is cool to me...never have a bass with this construction. a little bit worry about the stablity.
bloody expensive but i got mine from evil-bay....

me and Mr.Gordon Tilley at PEG booth,2004 Shanghai Music Expo.
[/quote]
never buy a guitar off a man that looks like that. even if you do have a drawn on face.

• 1 year later...