Why become a member? ×

Epiphone Zenith (formerly Triumph)

EssentialTension

[quote name='BigRedX' post='652706' date='Nov 12 2009, 03:14 PM']There was also a [url="http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/LesPaulTriumph.php"]Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass[/url] that pre-dated anything that Warwick ever produced. I would have thought that the name change is to avoid confusion with this.[/quote]
Of course, I'd forgotten that one.

• 6 months later...

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='855469' date='Jun 2 2010, 10:08 PM']Soundclips sound really nice, especially the piezo sound. Still want the original Warwick Alien myself...[/quote]
The piezo, especially, does sound nice. I'd like to hear the fretless with the La Bella Black Nylons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='986190' date='Oct 12 2010, 08:27 PM']Now available in antique natural finish:

[/quote]
Hmmm ... not so sure about this now because the old finishes were 'trans black' and 'antique natural' but this pic certainly looks a much darker natural than what I had seen before.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Frango' post='1115231' date='Feb 4 2011, 01:25 PM']Just ordered the fretless one of these. 6-8weeks delivery time from GAK though :)[/quote]

DV247 have the fretless in stock [url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/epiphone-zenith-acoustic-bass-guitar-antique-natural--67327"]here[/url].

• 2 weeks later...

I am interested in the Casady or the Zenith, not sure which.

Thomann have some soundclips on the product pages [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_zenith_bass_an.htm"]Zenith[/url] and [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_jack_casady.htm"]Casady[/url].

I think I prefer the sounds of the Casady but the looks of the Zenith AN, confused. :)

I played a fretted Zenith today in GAK. I was disappointed.

Body finish looked nice but I was less keen on the feel of the neck - had a cheapish feel to it, whatever that means, but sort of reminded me of 60s and early 70s Japanese stuff.

I played through a Markbass combo and at first was suffering from some crackling/rattling - I wasn't sure whether it was the combo, the bass socket, or the lead but either way it didn't help - but seemed to right itself after a while.

The action wasn't bad but I think many people would want it a little lower which, with no bridge adjustment other than filing down the saddle, would probably mean a neck shim.

Sound was pleasant enough but the difference between the magnetic and piezo pickups was less than I'd hoped given that having those two options available would be my reason for buying the bass. The feel of the pots was feeble and I suspect the electronics are the real weak spot of the bass. The blend control seemed to run quite unsmoothly from piezo to mag and back.

I'll be going back to try out the fretless version when they have one but my experience moved me from 'maybe a fretless Zenith would be nice' to 'I doubt if I would buy a Zenith'.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

A bit late to the party, but having a go on one of these - fretless one with the La Bella Black Nylons. The sound is really interesting, sort of a combination of the woodiness of an upright but the sustain of a bass guitar. I agree that the pickups aren't tonally that different but they have a different feel, the nanomag having a softer attack and more bloom while the nanoflex is more punchy and detailed. I agree some of the aspects of the build seem a bit cheap but the top and instrument as a whole looks really nice. Overall I think it works well as a fretless.

I also play it with black nylons. I think these strings suit this bass.
Even with a fretted version (mine) the sound is both warn and precise.
I like the mix between the magnetic and "piezo" pickups.
After having put some lemon oil on the neck, fingerboard and rosewood bridge, the first cheap look has gone away.
I also had the neck "fixed" : the bridge is high (strings too far from the fingerboard) so my luthier added a piece in the neck pocket.

When i play this bass, there is often someone in the audience to ask "what is this instrument ?".

I play in a gypsy Jazz 4tet and it is a interesting alternative instrument to my "huge" double Bass. Especialy in small clubs :)