Why become a member? ×

£edal boards

Al Heeley

Why are some pedal boards so dear? I wa shocked at the price of the Diago ones, £116 for a well-made wooden, hinged, lined box. Seems a bit steep. I'm presuming this doesn't even get you a daisy chain power supply built in?
I'm looking at putting one together myself that at least has a bit of a shelf for the rear pedals, and some nice tidy routing for the patch cables and power leads uinderneath. Boss have some neat features like the input, outputs and power socket integral to the case as well as a handy place to wedge your Boss tuner in at the back. Is velcro adhesive tape the best way to go for securing the pedals?
Anyone else bother incorporating integral jack plugs & power sockets into theirs?

I've said it before and I'll say it again but those Diago boards are a rip off in my opinion. They are made of chip board with cheap parts with a ridiculous mark up. Any board made 'specifically' for pedalboards seem to have an obscene mark up. Best bet I think is to get a small mixer case or turntable case or something and modify it slightly or if you don;t need a full flightcase type one built it yourself.

Alternatively, the Spider Engineering ones are well made and warrant their price I think.

[quote name='joegarcia' post='582607' date='Aug 27 2009, 04:31 PM']I've said it before and I'll say it again but those Diago boards are a rip off in my opinion. They are made of chip board with cheap parts with a ridiculous mark up. Any board made 'specifically' for pedalboards seem to have an obscene mark up. Best bet I think is to get a small mixer case or turntable case or something and modify it slightly or if you don;t need a full flightcase type one built it yourself.

Alternatively, the Spider Engineering ones are well made and warrant their price I think.[/quote]

Their power supplies are ridiculously marked up too... especially as you can get the identical unit from johnnyshreadfreak - they are just laptop power supplies at the end of the day...

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='582626' date='Aug 27 2009, 04:40 PM']Their power supplies are ridiculously marked up too... especially as you can get the identical unit from johnnyshreadfreak - they are just laptop power supplies at the end of the day...[/quote]

Johnnyshredfreak don't seem to have them listed on the site anymore. I bought one a while ago and was looking to get another one :)

They do sell some pedalboard attachment stuff that looks quite nifty though - [url="http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7&zenid=36fef4f68ac818bb3df08092e05198be"]http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/inde...df08092e05198be[/url]

and +1 for the bit of 12mm ply - I found my pedalboard in a skip.

Edited by lateralus462

One little niggle i have with my Diago (£45 2nd hand btw, not payin them prices!) is that the edges are raised quite high on the base section, forcing you to keep some of your pedals away from the edge (so you can plug them in) and losing valuable board space. I actually think a homemade board in a flightcase would be a better and more practical option

Edited by lemmywinks

Pedaltrain Jr / Mini etc is worth the cost I reckon. I got a Pedaltrain Jr with carry bag for £70 brand new (although they've gone up now), which is cheaper than most of my pedals. It's really light aluminium, and the design makes it really easy to route power and patch cables around. The Spider Engineering ones are great value - they are built like a tank, but they are just a flightcase with a plain old piece of plywood knocking about inside for your board. Worth getting if you don't mind the weight and need the extra protection they offer.

+1 on the Johnnyshreadfreak power supplies though, best bang for buck going. No noise from my setup, and plenty of power to run most people's boards.

Edited by dannybuoy

I had Diago make me up a short board 330x470mm back when they were first staring out, I think it only cost me about £30 or so, can't believe the price of them now :) despite them being really well made and robust.

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='joegarcia' post='582607' date='Aug 27 2009, 04:31 PM']I've said it before and I'll say it again but those Diago boards are a rip off in my opinion. They are made of chip board with cheap parts with a ridiculous mark up. Any board made 'specifically' for pedalboards seem to have an obscene mark up. Best bet I think is to get a small mixer case or turntable case or something and modify it slightly or if you don;t need a full flightcase type one built it yourself.

Alternatively, the Spider Engineering ones are well made and warrant their price I think.[/quote]

Seconded. I got a lovely small Spider board off the net. Solid as a rock and MILES cheaper than most makes.

[quote name='joegarcia' post='582607' date='Aug 27 2009, 04:31 PM']They are made of chip board[/quote]

Mine isn't. It's made of half-inch ply.

I priced up all the bits I'd need to make a board and it came to just under 50 quid. For that, I decided I'd rather not have the hassle and bought a second-hand one for around the same price.

[quote name='pete.young' post='583965' date='Aug 28 2009, 07:49 PM']Mine isn't. It's made of half-inch ply.

I priced up all the bits I'd need to make a board and it came to just under 50 quid. For that, I decided I'd rather not have the hassle and bought a second-hand one for around the same price.[/quote]

Fair enough, I'm not very good at identifying wood types. My friend's one began to splinter and fall apart after only a few gigs so guessed it was chip board. His hinges came loose too.

Edited by joegarcia

[quote name='pete.young' post='583965' date='Aug 28 2009, 07:49 PM']Mine isn't. It's made of half-inch ply.

I priced up all the bits I'd need to make a board and it came to just under 50 quid.[/quote]
Must be an expensive (or very large) bit of ply. Mine's cost me a few quid for some velcro tape and some patch leads. 2 bits of mdf board going spare in the garage left over from another project and 2 feet of plastic conduit. That's about it.