Why become a member? ×

Fender QC - curb your enthusiasm

Clarky

With so many people having good experiences with 09 Fender American Standard Ps and Js, I thought I would just add a (minor) cautionary note. I ordered an 09 Jazz (oly white, rosewood) this week having regretted my recent sale to Beedster (I know ...)

When the bass arrived I noticed the neck pocket didn't look good at all. The gap on the upper side between body and neck was really noticeable to the extent you could fold a sheet of paper over and slide it with no problems in and out. In fact it was virtually credit card sized. The lower gap was only marginally better. I have returned it, obviously deeply disappointed.

Full marks to SoundsLive for taking the bass back and being ready to refund.

Looks like I got the early Monday shift of the hungover guy in the Corona factory :)

Definitely not all of them, Martin, as the one I sold to Beedster was spot on, as was the 09 American Standard P I sold on to Deaver. And Musicman20 and Outtoplayjazz have been really chuffed with theirs.

Basically I think there are a few bad'uns that got pass the QC inspector and unfortunately I was on the wrong end ... as will be whoever gets the one in Dawsons :)

Just goes to show that (a) buying over the internet is always risky and (b ) Fender haven't completely got their act together

Edited by Clarky

That's a bummer.

As I mentioned in the other 08/09 model Fenders thread, I tried a new Jazz in PMT Southend with the same problem.

I have since been looking at pictures on the internet and have found [url="http://cachepe.samedaymusic.com/media/quality,85/brand,sameday/http://www.samedaymusic.com/0190662705v2_hi-546fc541f05654c44bdaaacd0903513c.jpg"]another example[/url].

Inspired by all the positive talk of this year's crop of Fenders, I took myself off to Dawsons in Manchester to play a few last weekend. It was quite a disappointment. Granted, the basses were reasonably well finished (but no better than you'd expect at the price point), fretwork was acceptable for a mass-produced instrument, and the improved hardware looked reasonably solid and functional. However, playability was generally poor (though a good set-up was required in some cases), 'feel' was chunky and uninviting, and the basses were tonally weak, ordinary or uninteresting. The Jazzers were going out at around £950 - it's a lot of money for a very ordinary bass and there's much better value to be had elsewhere (even Japanese and Mex Fenders). Maybe Dawsons are picking up a lot of under-par Fender 2008/9s. I'll have a look elsewhere and hope to find better basses in the new range.

One thing that mystifies me is why Fender can no longer make a bass with a sunburst finish using 2 pieces of wood for the body. I bought a US Deluxe Jazz 5 just over a year ago - alder body, 3 pieces. Now the joins were pretty clean but from the back it was obvious. Not great on a bass that now goes for £1300. I guessed that either they were doing it to save weight, or because of a lack of the best alder, but other manufacturers at the same price point can do it. Either don't offer see-through finishes or make them the way they used to! I'd also like them not to have massive routs under the pickguard, esp on a jazz bass as it often looks cool to go Jaco-esque and remove it. No chance on a current Fender. That said, the American Standard P 5 I've tried recently was awesomely good.

I have been tempted to order online ..and therefore sight unseen but have never gone through with it..and probably never will unless the returns policy is crystal-clear.

Any bass over a £1000 should be well made but it is still all about how it feels, plays and sounds once you get it in your lap...
Try before you buy is so relevant in something so subjective and personal..for me, anyway.

If you purchase something by phone or web, under the UK Distance Selling Regulations 2000 you have a period of 7 working days to cancel the contract and get a full refund of the purchase price. See [url="http://www.oft.gov.uk/advice_and_resources/resource_base/legal/distance-selling-regulations/"]http://www.oft.gov.uk/advice_and_resources...ng-regulations/[/url] . Some sellers try to weasel out of this requirement but it is mandatory AFAIK. You would be out-of-pocket for the return shipping cost, and they might play the "you damaged it" card. Best to ask for feedback here on experiences with the supplier before ordering.

• 1 month later...