Why become a member? ×

Advice on PUPs & hardware for my new Ric

Beedster

Here's a pic of the Badass, fitted as far back to get the most surface to sit, under the perspex cover is a fillet of hardwood a few thou thicker than the depth of the routing and it just sits clamped under the front of the Badass, cover is just a dab of evostick no horrid screws and all reversable. Adjusting is simple.

[attachment=31589:IMG00266...826_1201.jpg][attachment=31591:IMG00268...826_1202.jpg]

[quote name='Clarky' post='581281' date='Aug 26 2009, 12:47 PM']Here is a pic of a Hipshot as compared with a stock Ric. Looks pretty similar to the original to my mind and anyone from ten paces would think the Hipshot was an actual Ric bridge

[attachment=31588:hip.jpg][attachment=31590:bridge.jpg][/quote]

Cheers Clarky, I guess the mutes are one significant advantage of the Ric over the Hipshot but I doubt I'd ever use them anyway. The Ric bridge has got a certain, almost Art Deco, appeal that the Hipshot hasn't. For sure, no-one in the crowd's ever gonna know, but there's also something about the feel of original parts to the player that's important to bear in mind (I've never really like Badass bridghes on Fenders TBH)?

Chris

Hipshot is THE best thing you could ever do to your RIC
They look great, adjustability is spot on.

Do not hesitate . . GET ONE NOW !
Wouldnt even worry if its Alu or Brass
Got mine from Allparts

[quote name='Beedster' post='581298' date='Aug 26 2009, 12:58 PM']Cheers Clarky, I guess the mutes are one significant advantage of the Ric over the Hipshot but I doubt I'd ever use them anyway. The Ric bridge has got a certain, almost Art Deco, appeal that the Hipshot hasn't. For sure, no-one in the crowd's ever gonna know, but there's also something about the feel of original parts to the player that's important to bear in mind (I've never really like Badass bridghes on Fenders TBH)?

Chris[/quote]
True you cannot beat a real Ric bridge for authenticity. Just comes down to whether you want a 'player's' version of a Ric or a straight Ric. Each has its merits

[quote name='SS73' post='581297' date='Aug 26 2009, 12:57 PM']Here's a pic of the Badass, fitted as far back to get the most surface to sit, under the perspex cover is a fillet of hardwood a few thou thicker than the depth of the routing and it just sits clamped under the front of the Badass, cover is just a dab of evostick no horrid screws and all reversable. Adjusting is simple.[/quote]

Thanks SS73, actually looks pretty good. I'm assuming from your previous post it was a significant improvement over the stock bridge?

[quote name='Clarky' post='581295' date='Aug 26 2009, 12:55 PM']Chris, it was me in a chicken outfit from my private collection[/quote]

Which probably doesn't look quite so good :)

[quote name='Adee' post='581301' date='Aug 26 2009, 12:59 PM']Hipshot is THE best thing you could ever do to your RIC
They look great, adjustability is spot on.

Do not hesitate . . GET ONE NOW !
Wouldnt even worry if its Alu or Brass
Got mine from Allparts[/quote]

Excellent, an uncompromising stance :)

Thanks Adee. Better tone-wise or mechanics-wise?

[quote name='4000' post='581004' date='Aug 26 2009, 09:25 AM']I didn't find the SDs sounded much like the pickups they replaced. I expected the SD bridge pickup to sound like a beefier version of the original, but it actually sounded more nasal to me. YMMV. The neck pickup was crisper (ceramic magnets I believe) but lacked the character.

BTW, I've played SS73s bass and it does sound excellent, and that with only the bridge pickup. Something he's done certainly works.

SS73, how did the Twin Valve work out? Nice to see you posting![/quote]

Hi man, never realized it was you :) , those Ric's just came on coming, maybe you should post the pic of the collection.
Twin Valve is great, gigged for a while then I got valve gas and bought a V8 :rolleyes:

[quote name='Clarky' post='581303' date='Aug 26 2009, 01:00 PM']True you cannot beat a real Ric bridge for authenticity. Just comes down to whether you want a 'player's' version of a Ric or a straight Ric. Each has its merits[/quote]

I'm leaning towards a player's version but don't want to go too far down that route only to find I should have stuck with Ric parts. If after-market parts give me a greater range of options, be these in terms of mechanics or tone, whilst still offering the tone authentic Ric parts would offer, then I'm happy. I guess I don't want to have the experience I had of putting a Badass II on a 70's Precision thinking it would increase tonal options only to find that improvements in sustain and harmonic content were offset substantially by a lack of middy thumpiness, when it was middy thumpiness that I wanted a Precision for :)

Does that make sense?

[quote name='Beedster' post='581326' date='Aug 26 2009, 01:14 PM']I'm leaning towards a player's version but don't want to go too far down that route only to find I should have stuck with Ric parts. If after-market parts give me a greater range of options, be these in terms of mechanics or tone, whilst still offering the tone authentic Ric parts would offer, then I'm happy. I guess I don't want to have the experience I had of putting a Badass II on a 70's Precision thinking it would increase tonal options only to find that improvements in sustain and harmonic content were offset substantially by a lack of middy thumpiness, when it was middy thumpiness that I wanted a Precision for :)

Does that make sense?[/quote]
IMHO you should go all-Ric apart from the bridge. The original Ric bridge really is an antiquated, poorly adjustable lump and the only thing going for it is its authentic! A Hipshot will give you individual string/saddle adjustment and almost certainly give you better action and playability.

[quote name='Beedster' post='581326' date='Aug 26 2009, 01:14 PM']I'm leaning towards a player's version but don't want to go too far down that route only to find I should have stuck with Ric parts. If after-market parts give me a greater range of options, be these in terms of mechanics or tone, whilst still offering the tone authentic Ric parts would offer, then I'm happy. I guess I don't want to have the experience I had of putting a Badass II on a 70's Precision thinking it would increase tonal options only to find that improvements in sustain and harmonic content were offset substantially by a lack of middy thumpiness, when it was middy thumpiness that I wanted a Precision for :)

Does that make sense?[/quote]

Yes it does, Badass 2 is real close in mass to Fender, but the Badass 2 is a much lighter bridge compared to the 1, in my side pic you can see how deep the thing is and its sat 3mm below the perspex too, its a very heavy piece.
The original Ric part is nowhere near the Badass and I haven't lost a thing only gained, I'm sure this will also be the case with the Hipshot, cost could be an issue, just got another B/1 from ebay US, $49.00, to the door was about £35-£40.

[quote name='SS73' post='581354' date='Aug 26 2009, 01:28 PM']Yes it does, Badass 2 is real close in mass to Fender, but the Badass 2 is a much lighter bridge compared to the 1, in my side pic you can see how deep the thing is and its sat 3mm below the perspex too, its a very heavy piece.
The original Ric part is nowhere near the Badass and I haven't lost a thing only gained, I'm sure this will also be the case with the Hipshot, cost could be an issue, just got another B/1 from ebay US, $49.00, to the door was about £35-£40.[/quote]

Thanks SS73, interesting stuff. I think, on the basis of what's been said above, and the lack of a need to mod the instrument, that I'm gonna go for the Hipshot. I like the idea of the lateral adjustment also.

I feel an 'Items Wanted' thread coming on :)

[quote name='SS73' post='581449' date='Aug 26 2009, 02:51 PM']Cool, what an amazing place this is, just over 24 hours and you know where you're going :)

Welcome to the Ric club, you do realize that we all want to hear your Ric when its ready :rolleyes:[/quote]

Agreed, great resource, and thanks for your help :lol:

Thanks for the welcome to the club. Re hearing it, I hope folks'll get the chance to play it as it'll be coming to bass bashes for years to come (asuming I don't sell it, which is always a possibility) :lol:

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='SS73' post='581316' date='Aug 26 2009, 01:08 PM']Hi man, never realized it was you :) , those Ric's just came on coming, maybe you should post the pic of the collection.
Twin Valve is great, gigged for a while then I got valve gas and bought a V8 :rolleyes:[/quote]

How are you doing?

Ah, unfortunately the collection has thinned somewhat. Got rid of the black 4000 as I needed the money and was annoyed with it after a bad gig, got rid of the CS because I again needed the money. Just got the '72 now with an incoming checkerbound '73 restoration.

A V8 eh? Nice! You should post a pic of your Ric (and rig).

Anyway, back on topic.....

Edited by 4000

[quote name='Beedster' post='580788' date='Aug 25 2009, 11:10 PM']And what difference did these mods make over the stock parts?[/quote]

i wired them in ignorance series...so the sound was softer and fuller
my friend who introduced me to rickenbacker said they sounded cool
but his sound was so clanky i think he meant...wimpy

i replaced them with the standard pups and was so amazed with the more focussed and tight sound of the ric

but i prefer 'cool' softish attack and the s-d's were humbuckers so were very quiet

hope that help big B..

ps i saw lemmy had them or an array of them on his rick at one time in 1991..thats when i put them on

cheers

[quote name='mrcrow' post='581792' date='Aug 26 2009, 07:33 PM']hope that help big B..[/quote]

All info is going into the mix mate, many thanks.

Anyone have any thoughts on my putting one of these in.....?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260464567748&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:X:RTQ:GB:1123[/url]

Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Adee' post='581301' date='Aug 26 2009, 12:59 PM'][/quote]

And here's mine - identical but with a Ric bridge. I think Hipshot had to change to a slightly different footprint so the two are not identical. Personally I've been happy with the stock Ric bridge - bit more chunky and gtraditional looking, although if you're fussy about adjustment, the Hipshot is worth a look.

[attachment=31611:ric.jpg]

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='Beedster' post='581814' date='Aug 26 2009, 07:55 PM']All info is going into the mix mate, many thanks.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260464567748&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:X:RTQ:GB:1123[/url]

Chris[/quote]
Check out the official Ric site forum, I can't find it, but it was a thread about the various diff in ''K'' of the pup's through the years and the diff in sounds, it was a real interesting read, sorry I can't link it.

[quote name='Beedster' post='581814' date='Aug 26 2009, 07:55 PM']All info is going into the mix mate, many thanks.

Chris[/quote]

The toasters, as I mentioned earlier, are my neck pickup of choice. I think there's also a guy on Rick Resource who swears by having toasters in both positions. The toasters are more transparent and clear, but not as thick and growly. FWIW I'd look around; I got my '73 toaster for just over £50 on ebay.

When I get my now surplus neck high-gain with my restored bass I'd be happy to let you have that for £50 if you wanted it.

[quote name='4000' post='581920' date='Aug 26 2009, 09:34 PM']When I get my now surplus neck high-gain with my restored bass I'd be happy to let you have that for £50 if you wanted it.[/quote]

Mate, thanks for the offer, which model is that exactly (skwirms with complete lack of Ric knowledge)?