Why become a member? ×

Siberian Khatru

molan

Just been listening to Planet Rock's review of 1972 and they played Siberian Khatru in its entirety (preceded by Watcher of the Skies - prog heaven!). It's a while since I listened to the studio version & I'd forgotten just what a great bass sound Squire has on this.

When I was an impressionable teenager this was always my least favourite track from Close to the Edge but I love it now :)

Couldn't find the studio version on YouTube anywhere so if anyone hasn't heard it & wants to hear Mr Squire's mastery of prog bass then Spotify is your friend. . .

If anyone does try out Spotify then have a listen to the studio run-through version of Khatru on the Expanded Close to the Edge.

Obviously lacks all the multi-part harmonies and smooth gloss of the final version but bass is therefore higher in the mix - and still sounding pretty damn impressive :)

As much as I love Squires sound on the earlier albums, my favourite sound of his has to be the Harmonised (via an Eventide Harmoniser) Rickenbacker used on the "Tormato" album. The sound on "Future times/Rejoice" & "On the silent wings of freedom" is just awesome, and I've never heard anything like it anywhere else.

[quote name='RhysP' post='571025' date='Aug 16 2009, 08:35 PM']As much as I love Squires sound on the earlier albums, my favourite sound of his has to be the Harmonised (via an Eventide Harmoniser) Rickenbacker used on the "Tormato" album. The sound on "Future times/Rejoice" & "On the silent wings of freedom" is just awesome, and I've never heard anything like it anywhere else.[/quote]

Checking it out right now :)

Ok - so I'm not 100% sure about Yes from this era. Sounds a bit over-processed to me & missing that classic Squire tone - probably need to listen a bit more though :rolleyes:

Don'tcha just love Spotify though :lol:

Edited by molan

[quote name='molan' post='571040' date='Aug 16 2009, 08:56 PM']Ok - so I'm not 100% sure about Yes from this era. Sounds a bit over-processed to me & missing that classic Squire tone - probably need to listen a bit more though :)[/quote]
It's not a generally well thought of album amongst hardcore Yes fans.
As far as that particular bass sound goes I think it's a love-it-or-hate-it thing. There's certainly a lot of processing going on there.

I think my favourite sound is possibly Long Distance Runaround, but it's all good! Tone doesn't get any better than his in my book (although there are obviously lots of places where that sort of tone wouldn't work). My all-time favourite player.

I used to love the weird phased sounds on Tormato, but I wouldn't want it to be his 'stock' sound, it'd be too much. I'd read somewhere he'd used a Mutron pedal on that album but maybe it wasn't responsible for that particular sound. As for an 'in yer face' up front gritty ric sound look no further than the Time and a Word album!

I loved Squire from Yes and Time and A Word right up to Drama but went elsewhere after that. I love his sound in all its guises but, more importantly, I love his pure creativity. He doesn't sound like anyone else at all and his playing is almost entirely unique. And all with e plectrum! Yes could not be Yes without him. He is one of the greatest British bass players in our history.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='571502' date='Aug 17 2009, 12:07 PM']I loved Squire from Yes and Time and A Word right up to Drama but went elsewhere after that. I love his sound in all its guises but, more importantly, I love his pure creativity. He doesn't sound like anyone else at all and his playing is almost entirely unique. And all with e plectrum! Yes could not be Yes without him. He is one of the greatest British bass players in our history.[/quote]

+1 to that!

I may have posted this before on the old forum but a good example of a 'Squier masterclass' is Yours Is No Disgrace. He gets to do a variety of styles and it all fits in with the rest of the music perfectly which is what proper bass playing is really all about. Here's a bloke who seems to have got it pretty much sorted out, wish I could get this close!
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsY3AM5rRRU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsY3AM5rRRU[/url]

Edited by KevB

Chris Squire is the definitive rock bassist as far as I'm concerned, he is unique not just by the way of his incredible bass playing but who else can sing like that and play bass pedals at the same time, and his compositions are always excellent (his solo FOOW album is testament to this). Awaken (Going for the One album) is my most favourite piece of music ever, it moves me literally to tears, its everything to me in terms of the dynamic power of music and its going to be played through a 20K PA system when I finally croak it! He's also a fantastic showman - he really is the centre of Yes music - ABWH was great but it was missing its heart, which should have been Squire.

Tonally, anything on Fragile to me is the definitive Squire tone but again, his constantly evolving style has produced many great bass sounds over the years, think Drama etc and even on Big Generator where his low tuned 5 string Tobias (tuned AEADG) produced some ground breaking stuff (literally tuned that low!).

Nick (fondly tickling his 4001CS!)

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='572353' date='Aug 17 2009, 11:13 PM']Awaken (Going for the One album) is my most favourite piece of music ever, it moves me literally to tears, its everything to me in terms of the dynamic power of music and its going to be played through a 20K PA system when I finally croak it![/quote]

If we both go at the same time we could save on PA hire.... :)

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='571502' date='Aug 17 2009, 12:07 PM']I loved Squire from Yes and Time and A Word right up to Drama but went elsewhere after that. I love his sound in all its guises but, more importantly, I love his pure creativity. He doesn't sound like anyone else at all and his playing is almost entirely unique. And all with e plectrum! Yes could not be Yes without him. He is one of the greatest British bass players in our history.[/quote]

Yep. I stopped listening to him around '76 but I think he's one of the greatest, without any question,. Incredibly melodic lines with an astonishing, fat, monstous, vibrating sound.