Why become a member? ×

which sub-£400 bass?

4-string-thing

I'm looking for a versatile, modern looking (maybe) small bodied, lightweight, slim necked bass, for under £400. I'm thinking maybe a s/h Warwick Corvette, a Cort Curbow or a Yamaha RBX4 A2. I must admit, I have never played any of these, so have no idea what they play or sound like, I'm just going on looks at the mo. I play in a sleazy, punky rock 'n' roll band, so need something that suits that kind of thing. If anyone has tried or owned anything that fits the bill, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Mark Kinton.

warwick corvettes are very nice, they're very versatile and growly sounding and if you get an active one, the preamps are excellent. The necks are very skinny, about the same width as a jazz bass, but in profile, they're pretty fat, whereas a jazz neck would be skinny and flat, if you see what i mean. It's personal preference, but i find mine very comfortable.

Hope that helped :)

have you looked at the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz or Precision (but as you said slim neck then I'd go for the jazz) I have one and it's great, main bass that I use for all gigs. Had loads of people looking and afterwards tell me they were really impressed with it for a Squier and if you look around on here I don't think I've seen a bad word said about them

[quote name='Tait' post='570174' date='Aug 15 2009, 07:48 PM']ahh this is easy! ibanez SR500. no doubt about it.[/quote]

+ another 1. SR500 meets all your specs and is amazing value for money. Lightweight body, thin neck, Bartolini pickups. If you like thin necks, they're the best buy out there under £500 IMO.

Hi, thanks for the suggestions!

I did have a look at the Squier active Jazz, and 51 precision, but as I already own a 78 precision, I think I may want an alternative to a Fender.
The Ibanez didn't really do it for me, looks wise, sorry guys!
Nobody has mentioned the Cort, so I am still thinking Yamaha or Warwick/Rockbass.

Keep 'em coming though,

Mark.

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='570488' date='Aug 16 2009, 10:48 AM']Hi, thanks for the suggestions!

I did have a look at the Squier active Jazz, and 51 precision, but as I already own a 78 precision, I think I may want an alternative to a Fender.
Nobody has mentioned the Cort, so I am still thinking Yamaha or Warwick/Rockbass.

Keep 'em coming though,

Mark.[/quote]

I have an Ibanez, the EDB 550 to be precise.

Link: [url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/71870"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/71870[/url]

Under 400, and with those specs, worth evey penny. Nice slim neck, bit chunkier than the Soundgear but still an easy player and light. FWIW, Cort make all the 'lower end' Ibanez models, so quality is on par.

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='570488' date='Aug 16 2009, 10:48 AM']Hi, thanks for the suggestions!

Keep 'em coming though,

Mark.[/quote]

I bought a Cort Curbow recently (i'm selling it but it's a 5er). Dinky little body but still feels like a proper bass un the strap, very well made with great components and electrics. The bridge in particular is a recessed chunky unit. The slap switch is useful (this and the EQ gain can be attenuated with trim pots) so it's versatile, the 3 band Bart eq is good too

If it were my choice i'd get a Warwick Corvette. Mine is extremely well made