Why become a member? ×

The 'How high is your action?' thread - get involved!

wateroftyne

• 3 weeks later...

Somewhat late to the party- just found my ruler!
Now I'm wondering if I've screwed up my measurements- I always had my basses down as being medium/low action, as they always look to me like they could go lower, but I guess most people would class these as low. Maybe I can stop now with the compulsive setup tweaking. I'll need to see if I can't get a set of feeler gauges to get it a bit more accurate.

All measurements made on the E string.

Peavey Milestone III- EADG with light Elixirs
3rd: around 1mm
12th: about 1.5mm
17th: just under 2mm

Peavey DynaBass 5 fretted- BEADG with light Elixirs
3rd: 1mm
12th: 2mm
17th: 2mm

Peavey DynaBass 5 fretless- BEADG with light Elixirs
3rd: just over 1mm
12th: just under 2mm

Conklin Groove Tools 7 string- BEADGBE with light Elixirs:
12th: 1.5mm

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='592758' date='Sep 8 2009, 11:32 AM']Somewhat late to the party- just found my ruler!
Now I'm wondering if I've screwed up my measurements- I always had my basses down as being medium/low action, as they always look to me like they could go lower, but I guess most people would class these as low. Maybe I can stop now with the compulsive setup tweaking. I'll need to see if I can't get a set of feeler gauges to get it a bit more accurate.

Peavey Milestone III- EADG with light Elixirs
3rd: around 1mm
12th: about 1.5mm
17th: just under 2mm

Peavey DynaBass 5 fretted- BEADG with light Elixirs
12th: 2mm

Peavey DynaBass 5 fretless- BEADG with light Elixirs
3rd: just over 1mm
12th: just under 2mm

Conklin Groove Tools 7 string- BEADGBE with light Elixirs:
12th: 1.5mm
17th: 2mm[/quote]
That's probably the most consistent set we've seen so far, in terms of swapping between your different basses. But yeah, them's low!

[quote name='SteveO' post='593046' date='Sep 8 2009, 04:53 PM']Forgot about this until it was resurrected, but here I come to screw up your stats: :rolleyes: ...

JV Squier
3rd: 2mm
12th: 10mm
17th: 11mm

CY Squier
3rd: 1.5mm
12th: 7mm
17th: 8mm

Yamaha RBX375
3rd: 1.5mm
12th: 6mm
17th: 7mm[/quote]
:)

JV squier GAS has just plunged :lol:

Edited by Kev

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='593065' date='Sep 8 2009, 06:05 PM']What are you man, a gorilla? :lol:[/quote]
:)

my first bass (the CY Squier) was set up like that when bought, and not knowing any better I learnt to play high action. Now when I play it just doesn't feel right on anything less than 5mm.

The JV squier is on the last turn of the thread on the height adjuster, but to me it feels great. :rolleyes:

I think I have all of my basses set up at around 1mm, 3mm, 4mm or something around that. I'd consider it medium action.

I'm considering lowering the action on all my basses to make myself play lighter.

Edited by thedonutman

[quote name='Kev' post='574959' date='Aug 20 2009, 12:06 AM']dunno how some of you guys play with such low action, i cant play a bass without really digging in :)

Vintage icon v4, 45-105 standard tuning

1mm 3mm 3mm

Medium i would say, although my technique doesn't really accommodate for any lower[/quote]

Just strung on some status flats roughly the same guage. Made some adjustments so slightly different

1mm 2.5mm 2.5mm

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ped' post='569643' date='Aug 14 2009, 11:50 PM']Vigier Passion series 2, active

With feeler gauges
3rd 1.2mm
12th 1.5mm
17th 2mm

Pickups - between 2.5 and 4mm from strings
Elixir .40-.95 Tuned DADG

Low[/quote]

My Vigier has the lowest (best) action (and neck) of all my basses. Haven't had the feeler gauges out, but looks about the same as yours, to the eye.

• 1 year later...