Why become a member? ×

Hello from Scotland

Baxter

Hi Guys

My name is Baxter I play bass in The Laynes and in Berry Tweed and The Chasers

I play Ibanez AGB140 and ASB140 (ASB is an import - not sold in Uk) semi acoustic basses
Which are absolutley FAB if you go for long scale.
And A 51 reissue Pbass that I have modified just a wee bit - chrome and stuff.
Ashdown Mag300 combo and a extra cab

Glad to be here.

Edited by Baxter

In My opinion the AGB 140 is one of the best basses you can get - and not just for the money either.

I have a 51 reissue Pbass so I can compare it with that as the closest reference.

Downsides - or maybe not depending on your playing style !

The Ibanez is MUCH longer, you really need to reach for end of the neck and it is a bit neck heavy as with a lot of
semis. The action is fairly high too. I'm happy with this on all counts, It suits me fine.
There is not much in the way of tonal control - your jag will be coming down with that stuff - vol and tone controls only,
but they work fine and the tone variation is quite noticeable. They're not just as powerful as the Fender. Try and get one with a case, they are outsize and a gigbag is a waste of time - it sticks out the top. Got a case from Thomann for £60

Upsides

They sound truly excellent. I bought the AGB as a backup to my Rick 4003. I bought the ASB in the states (you cant get them here) a year later on the strength of my experience with the first one and sold the Rick! But as with most thing its a matter of preference on the sound. I play with flats and I'm looking for a 60s vibe, but they're versatile enough for anything.

It is pretty well put together, nice finish and the binding is well done on both my AGB and ASB.
I've been working them pretty hard too, the AGB for 5 years, the ASB for 4 with absolutely no quality control issues, not so much as as a loose nut or crackly pot. Always comes out the case in the same tuning as it went in, and will hold that for a hot gig.

Honestly give it a go - I guarantee you wont get a better instrument for the money

Check myspace www.myspace.com/thelaynesuk or myspace.com/berrytweedandthechasers

ALL the songs are played on the ASB, just with different tones od played with a pick rather than fingers, - but thats just a matter of preference - it sounds identical to the AGB. There are a couple of youtube vids as well. one of the Berry Tweed ones has a good bass sound on it, its the one about 8 min long.

Theres one on Gumtree Glasgow today for 150 quid - be a devil.

[quote name='Baxter' post='571781' date='Aug 17 2009, 05:00 PM']In My opinion the AGB 140 is one of the best basses you can get - and not just for the money either.

I have a 51 reissue Pbass so I can compare it with that as the closest reference.

Downsides - or maybe not depending on your playing style !

The Ibanez is MUCH longer, you really need to reach for end of the neck and it is a bit neck heavy as with a lot of
semis. The action is fairly high too. I'm happy with this on all counts, It suits me fine.
There is not much in the way of tonal control - your jag will be coming down with that stuff - vol and tone controls only,
but they work fine and the tone variation is quite noticeable. They're not just as powerful as the Fender. Try and get one with a case, they are outsize and a gigbag is a waste of time - it sticks out the top. Got a case from Thomann for £60

Upsides

They sound truly excellent. I bought the AGB as a backup to my Rick 4003. I bought the ASB in the states (you cant get them here) a year later on the strength of my experience with the first one and sold the Rick! But as with most thing its a matter of preference on the sound. I play with flats and I'm looking for a 60s vibe, but they're versatile enough for anything.

It is pretty well put together, nice finish and the binding is well done on both my AGB and ASB.
I've been working them pretty hard too, the AGB for 5 years, the ASB for 4 with absolutely no quality control issues, not so much as as a loose nut or crackly pot. Always comes out the case in the same tuning as it went in, and will hold that for a hot gig.

Honestly give it a go - I guarantee you wont get a better instrument for the money

Check myspace www.myspace.com/thelaynesuk or myspace.com/berrytweedandthechasers

ALL the songs are played on the ASB, just with different tones od played with a pick rather than fingers, - but thats just a matter of preference - it sounds identical to the AGB. There are a couple of youtube vids as well. one of the Berry Tweed ones has a good bass sound on it, its the one about 8 min long.

Theres one on Gumtree Glasgow today for 150 quid - be a devil.[/quote]

amazing bit of info, and funilly enough its the one on gumtree im interested in, I have a fender Jag and vintage 4string, so my wife wont be too happy with a new edition to my guitar family(i have a few 6strings too).

So I was kind ahoping the gu may take it down in price so i can really justify buying it.........aint marriage blisss

But aye its a lovely looking bass and I am very interested, thanks for the info matey.

Here's a big welcome from a fellow Buddie! (Buddie = someone from Paisley). I stay in Ralston, it would be too weird if you stayed round the corner. BTW is your sax player Damon Hill?

Edited by Hutton

[quote name='Hutton' post='576667' date='Aug 21 2009, 01:59 PM']Here's a big welcome from a fellow Buddie! (Buddie = someone from Paisley). I stay in Ralston, it would be too weird if you stayed round the corner. BTW is your sax player Damon Hill?[/quote]

Hi Hutton - I'm over on Underwood Road - not too far. The Sax players are Tony Finn, He's the guy with all the hair, and Alan Lewis who has nae hair!

I know Underwood Road well. I used to walk along there everyday when I was in primary school. If you're ever up in the town during the mornings come into The Wynd Centre (School Wynd) and ask for Hutton. I can offer a cup of coffee and a scone.

[quote name='Hutton' post='576799' date='Aug 21 2009, 03:57 PM']I know Underwood Road well. I used to walk along there everyday when I was in primary school. If you're ever up in the town during the mornings come into The Wynd Centre (School Wynd) and ask for Hutton. I can offer a cup of coffee and a scone.[/quote]

Thanks Hutton