Why become a member? ×

Affordable 5 string sweetspot bass?

Doc B

I'm selling my Streamer STD just now and will be looking to get a 5 string with a budget of about £500 once the 'Wick goes.

There are loads of 5s out there for that money but I have some pretty strict requirements:

At least one humbucker pickup in the Musicman 'sweetspot' position
Active preamp preferred
Narrow string spacing about 16-17mm at the bridge
No solid colours - I like to see the wood my basses are made from
No basses with odd sized pickups (like the Ibanez ATK) - I like to swap pickups and electronics
Smaller body preferred

I'll consider new or used.

I've been doing some searching online and have found various options but none that I have actually been able to see or try in person. I've seen a used Warwick Fortress Masterman on Bass Direct's site but the electronics look too complicated to me.

Also has anyone tried any of these?

Dean Sledge Hammer or Rockbass Streamer STD Blackhawk 5 str?

Any other suggestions welcome.

Remember I don't have the cash right now if you try to pimp your bass to me!

[quote name='Doc B' post='567801' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:38 AM']I'm selling my Streamer STD just now and will be looking to get a 5 string with a budget of about £500 once the 'Wick goes.

There are loads of 5s out there for that money but I have some pretty strict requirements:

At least one humbucker pickup in the Musicman 'sweetspot' position
Active preamp preferred
Narrow string spacing about 16-17mm at the bridge
No solid colours - I like to see the wood my basses are made from
No basses with odd sized pickups (like the Ibanez ATK) - I like to swap pickups and electronics
Smaller body preferred

I'll consider new or used.

I've been doing some searching online and have found various options but none that I have actually been able to see or try in person. I've seen a used Warwick Fortress Masterman on Bass Direct's site but the electronics look too complicated to me.

Also has anyone tried any of these?

Dean Sledge Hammer or Rockbass Streamer STD Blackhawk 5 str?

Any other suggestions welcome.

Remember I don't have the cash right now if you try to pimp your bass to me![/quote]

Hey mate,
I reckon that Warwick Fortress would be your best bet.
It'd be a leap up in quality from your Streamer Std. too, rather than a sidestep which you would get with either the Dean or the Rockbass.

The EQ isn't that complex either, just a bass and treble control for each of the coils in the humbucking pickup, with a single volume and a blend between the two coils.
I'm sure you could swap out the current setup for a vol/bass/treble without too much bother, it just means you'd be running the humbucking pickup with both coils on the whole time, which would probably sound the best anyway.

The only other option I would consider would be keeping an eye out for a Musicman Sub Stingray 5 string.
It would meet all your requirements exactly.
They occasionally come on here or appear on ebay for about £500 odd, might be worth putting up a wanted add.
Annoyingly our keyboard player sold his recently for about that, if I'd had the cash myself I'd have taken it off his hands in a second... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=45399&hl=Sub"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=45399&hl=Sub[/url]

There's one here >> [url="http://guildford.gumtree.com/guildford/60/41284560.html"]http://guildford.gumtree.com/guildford/60/41284560.html[/url]
Just missed this one >> [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=52993&hl=Sub"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=52993&hl=Sub[/url]

Also, don't mean to dis the Dean or Rockbass basses, just the Warwick or the MM Sub are considered to be better quality basses.

Good luck mate,
Eude

Cheers EUDE, I'll add the MM SUB 5 to my list of possibles - seems obvious now!

BTW - My Streamer Standard is a German built Warwick as opposed to a Rockbass.

I've been on the Warwick forum and it seems that the 2010 Rockbasses will have a 'W' logo and 2 piece bridge and a version of the Corvette $$ is on the cards!

I'm not too worried about getting a less prestige bass: I sold my graphite necked Status Groove and bought a Squier VM jazz last year.

[quote name='Doc B' post='568021' date='Aug 13 2009, 02:44 PM']Cheers EUDE, I'll add the MM SUB 5 to my list of possibles - seems obvious now!

BTW - My Streamer Standard is a German built Warwick as opposed to a Rockbass.

I've been on the Warwick forum and it seems that the 2010 Rockbasses will have a 'W' logo and 2 piece bridge and a version of the Corvette $$ is on the cards!

I'm not too worried about getting a less prestige bass: I sold my graphite necked Status Groove and bought a Squier VM jazz last year.[/quote]

Nice one mate,
yeah I know not everyone is obsessed with Prestige basses, sorry about that.
I didn't know that about those changes to the Rockbasses, that'll really bring their game up :)

If you can stretch a little further, you could look at one of ACG's rather lovely Graft Basses >> [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=49604"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=49604[/url] - very nice basses and completely and made :rolleyes:

Best of luck dude!
Eude

[quote name='eude' post='568043' date='Aug 13 2009, 03:09 PM']yeah I know not everyone is obsessed with Prestige basses, sorry about that.[/quote]

No apology necessary - you were just stating a fact about the quality.

I know nothing about those Dean basses so that is a big minus from the off.

Be warned: It might be extremely hard to beat the sound of your Streamer. I have had dozens of basses over the years, some of them as expensive as 4000 euros, custom made, and none of them managed to beat my Rockbass Streamer Std 5 string. I know it sounds crazy such a cheap bass could be that good, but thats just the way it feels to me. Those MEC soapbars are a miracle, not to mention they are prized at 180 euros EACH, worth more than the whole bass. Again, I know that sounds crazy, but check MEC website if you dont believe me :)

I dont play it much live anymore because I have some serious back problems and I cant make it balance right when standing, so now I mostly use my Ibanez SR505 when gigging. This Ibanez is probably the best balanced and most comfortable bass I have ever tried (honorable exception of headless designs) and, even though its sound is very good, I still play my Streamer when recording bass tracks since I can play while sitting and my back isnt an issue then.

This, of course, is a totally subjective opinion, you might be looking for a sound that has nothing in common with the Streamer, but for me that particular bass is perfect tone-wise. If you would accept a recommendation, dont sell your Streamer until you have abused intensively of your new bass for a few months. There is always a chance you could regret it.

Edited by Fraktal

My Streamer is a 4 string and I want to move to a 5!

I had considered looking out for a single pup Warwick Streamer STD 5 to come up for sale and putting a preamp on it but the Streamer STD has a warm growly sound and I'd like more treble/high mid now. I've never tried the Rockbasses but I'm considered one of the new versions of the Corvette or Fortress - the maple necks and ash, or alder/maple bodies should provide a bit more high end clarity.

Rockbasses are seriously underrated basses. I had a Corvette that was simply brilliant. Had an MEC pre-amp and pickups. Presumably this is the same as used in the Warwicks. Had probably the nicest neck on a 5-string that I've ever played, small body, light and very comfortable to play. I may well be tempted when the new Rockbasses come out.

I had a rockbass once, it was very good but the pine body was a major drawback because it didn't have enough mass. I had problems getting enough warmth out of it, even after installing an EMG BTC preamp. Apart from that, superb finishing and fit, a great neck and it gave the stingray a good run for its money with warmth issues set aside. However I haven't heard very good things about their customer service and my own experience backs that up.

Er, aren't Rockbass Streamer STDs, and the original Warwick Streamer STDs like mine made of carolena and not pine?

Mine definitely isn't pine and I'd imagine you'd just get splinters/skelfs/spelks if you had a pine bass. Might smell nice though!

I got a G+L tribute 2500 a while ago and it sounds great, just like an expensive G+L!
Really well made with a nice neck got mine for 300 s/h but I'm sure they are pretty cheap new too.
I've owned a lot of basses over the years and it is one of the best.

[quote name='dub' post='573025' date='Aug 18 2009, 03:23 PM']I got a G+L tribute 2500 a while ago and it sounds great, just like an expensive G+L!
Really well made with a nice neck got mine for 300 s/h but I'm sure they are pretty cheap new too.
I've owned a lot of basses over the years and it is one of the best.[/quote]

Hadn't thought of that :)
Top basses those G&L Tributes by all accounts!

Eude

[quote name='Doc B' post='572857' date='Aug 18 2009, 02:51 PM']Er, aren't Rockbass Streamer STDs, and the original Warwick Streamer STDs like mine made of carolena and not pine?

Mine definitely isn't pine and I'd imagine you'd just get splinters/skelfs/spelks if you had a pine bass. Might smell nice though![/quote]

I might be wrong, but I did some research long ago since I had no clue what carolena is, and found out that carolena is actually a kind of pine, heh.

[quote name='eude' post='573041' date='Aug 18 2009, 03:30 PM']Hadn't thought of that :)
Top basses those G&L Tributes by all accounts!

Eude[/quote]

What's the string spacing like on those? I've realised recently that I prefer the narrower 16-17mm bridge spacing of some basses.

The G&L Tributes look good but I've never seen one up here in Scotland. I've always wanted one of the ASAT/Telecaster shaped ones like Cass Lewis had.

[quote name='Doc B' post='574052' date='Aug 19 2009, 12:57 PM']What's the string spacing like on those? I've realised recently that I prefer the narrower 16-17mm bridge spacing of some basses.

The G&L Tributes look good but I've never seen one up here in Scotland. I've always wanted one of the ASAT/Telecaster shaped ones like Cass Lewis had.[/quote]

[url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass/product/G&L/Tribute+L-2500/10/1"]http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...ute+L-2500/10/1[/url]

16mm according to this review? - Not sure I believe that though, 16.5mm more likely.
Can't find anything on the official website, but the concensus seems to be that it's narrow(ish).

Aha! - [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=435499"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=435499[/url] - from the official G&L Forum on Talkbass.com
I reckon it's going to be the same as a Musicman, seeing as they're of the same stock, 17.5mm

Eude

Cheers.

I see that there's one for sale on here as well. Shame I haven't sold the Warwick yet - it failed to reach the reserve I put on it (much lower than previously advertised!). I've had about half a dozen people tell me not to sell it as I'll regret it though! I've had it for 9 years so maybe I should keep it and do some choice mods instead. I still want a 5 string though!

[quote name='Wil' post='574149' date='Aug 19 2009, 01:44 PM']If it were me, I'd scour for a cheap 'ray. Nothing like a Stingray, love 'em or hate 'em. Can't get enough of that tone, though.[/quote]

Yeah there's a SUB 5 in the USA on eBay just now. Tempting, despite the nasty finishes of them!

[quote name='Doc B' post='574208' date='Aug 19 2009, 02:21 PM']Yeah there's a SUB 5 in the USA on eBay just now. Tempting, despite the nasty finishes of them![/quote]

Well the Sub Ray my mate sold sounded amazing!
You can always change the finish and buy a proper Stingray scratchplate for it too, I think somebody on here, possibly [b]Beedster[/b]? sanded the neck on his to reveal a very nice bit of wood!
They had to stop making them as they where making an enormous loss, plus the Sub Ray 5 string was getting a reputation for sounding more like a USA Stingray 4 string than the USA 5 string version...

Good luck mate, even if you can't move now, those Subs do come up from time to time.
Check out Talkbass.com 's classifieds too, there's plenty of European based folks on there as well as Americans.

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='Doc B' post='567801' date='Aug 13 2009, 12:38 PM']No basses with odd sized pickups (like the Ibanez ATK) - I like to swap pickups and electronics[/quote]

Are you sure the measurements of the ATK triplecoil are [i]that[/i] odd? A friend of mine replaced the triplecoil in his ATK300 fourstring with a Nordstrand MM4.4 MM-style humbucker without any trouble at all. I would say you shouldn't have much trouble with the 5-strings either. I can take measurements of the pickup in my ATK305 if you'd like.

Then again you're saying you prefer a smaller body. That pretty much leaves out the ATK too :)