Why become a member? ×

Shipping basses with Parcel2go important read!

Sugden

Hi I know a number of people on here used to, and maybe still do send their basses with parcel2go and I would advise against it after reading the uninsurable list. Guitars (all)

"The following items (or any item similar in description or content) can only be carried on an uninsured basis on any service.
Any person sending such an item does so at their own risk:
Added 1/1/2007:"

[url="http://www.parcel2go.com/shipping-items.aspx#unins"]http://www.parcel2go.com/shipping-items.aspx#unins[/url]

Just thought I would post it up. I normaly send my basses with them but have had to go with UPS this time due to not been able to send the bass insured with parcel2go. Dont want anyone missing that bit of info loosing their bass or it getting damaged in the post and have nothing to show for it for a broken or lost bass :)

I have no affiliation whatsoever but I've been using [url="http://www.senditnow.com/"]http://www.senditnow.com/[/url]

They charge £11 with £150 insurance or £22 with £500 insurance and they ship anything up to 30kg, door to door in the UK.

It 'IS' actually ParcelForce! Not similar to or like ParcelForce but the one and the same.

Oddly they won't insure the case your bass is couriered in but they do insure what is in the case! Ironically if you send a case without a bass inside it will be covered.

Worth looking into.

I'd be very carefull about these parcelforce resellers. I've had to raise a small claims court action against one after a £500 item was lost, and they did absolutely F A about it. Never use one who has the parcel delivered to a third party prior to resending to the final destination - if there's any problem you have to rely on the third party to handle the courier claim.

That's a point I hadn't though about, BB2000...

I was browsing through eBay and one guy was saying that he's not using Parcelforce as they won't insure musical instruments for more than £150.

I've had a look at the small print, and it only applies if you use the case as the exterior packaging. Just put the case in a padded box and you can send as per normal.

I've used Parcelforce a few times with no problem at all...

[quote name='BB2000' post='4750' date='May 22 2007, 11:44 PM']I'd be very carefull about these parcelforce resellers. I've had to raise a small claims court action against one after a £500 item was lost, and they did absolutely f*** all about it. Never use one who has the parcel delivered to a third party prior to resending to the final destination - if there's any problem you have to rely on the third party to handle the courier claim.[/quote]

I often use www.postvan.com - I think they have the third party deely going on.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='4730' date='May 22 2007, 11:17 PM']I have no affiliation whatsoever but I've been using [url="http://www.senditnow.com/"]http://www.senditnow.com/[/url]

They charge £11 with £150 insurance or £22 with £500 insurance and they ship anything up to 30kg, door to door in the UK.

It 'IS' actually ParcelForce! Not similar to or like ParcelForce but the one and the same.

Oddly they won't insure the case your bass is couriered in but they do insure what is in the case! Ironically if you send a case without a bass inside it will be covered.

Worth looking into.[/quote]

aren't they them who used to be parcelnow?
i've used them a couple of times and yes they do appear to be a parcelforce reseller, but parcelforce do come and pickup the item, take it to a parcelforce depot and deliver to the recipient. All the tracking is done through the parcelforce website and on one occassion when I had booked a collection through parcelnow to send a guitar back to the biggest thick i have ever encountered, the address which i'd sent the parcel to was incorrectly supplied and i was miraculously able to track it and get it redirected all through parcelforce without having to deal with the reseller.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='4957' date='May 23 2007, 09:53 AM']aren't they them who used to be parcelnow?
i've used them a couple of times and yes they do appear to be a parcelforce reseller, but parcelforce do come and pickup the item, take it to a parcelforce depot and deliver to the recipient. All the tracking is done through the parcelforce website and on one occassion when I had booked a collection through parcelnow to send a guitar back to the biggest thick i have ever encountered, the address which i'd sent the parcel to was incorrectly supplied and i was miraculously able to track it and get it redirected all through parcelforce without having to deal with the reseller.[/quote]

I don't know anything about 'parcelnow' but the payment made to senditnow is the Royal Mail on my bank statement and the guy who collects around our way categorically state they are one and the same not a reseller.

Either way I've had good service from them and they are cheaper than most others considering they collect from the door and will handle cab sized parcels up to 30kg.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='5198' date='May 23 2007, 04:08 PM']I don't know anything about 'parcelnow' but the payment made to senditnow is the Royal Mail on my bank statement and the guy who collects around our way categorically state they are one and the same not a reseller.

Either way I've had good service from them and they are cheaper than most others considering they collect from the door and will handle cab sized parcels up to 30kg.[/quote]

Do they insure over a grand?

[quote name='paul, the' post='6236' date='May 25 2007, 02:29 AM']Do they insure over a grand?[/quote]

I sold and sent a Zon bass of that value with them (can't remember the cost exactly) but you choose the level of insurance and pay the premium accordingly. Check out the website and have a look.

• 4 months later...

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='4730' date='May 22 2007, 10:17 PM']I have no affiliation whatsoever but I've been using [url="http://www.senditnow.com/"]http://www.senditnow.com/[/url]

Worth looking into.[/quote]

That's odd ... I just asked senditnow.com if they have the Parcle Force £150 maximum for musical instrumenst and she said:

"Thank you for your e-mail enquiry. Yes that is the maximum allowed for
all musical instruments through Parcelforce Worldwide. As www.senditnow.com
operates under the Parcelforce Worldwide brand, which is a trading name
of Royal Mail Group Ltd, all parcels posted through these services are
governed by their Terms and Conditions including prices, delivery speeds
and maximum compensation offered. "

Where does it say up to £500?
... not that I want to take on the dear ol' Royal Mail again .. I just think these things should be made very clear...
and I have a need to ship another bass ...

Edited by OldGit

Just looked through their exclusion policy and here are 'senditnow's exclusions...

Goods excluded from parcel delivery compensation
Please be aware that the following goods are excluded from compensation.
Antiques (objects over 100 years old)
Any dangerous, hazardous or prohibited goods
Articles made largely or wholly of gold, silver or other precious metals
Ceramics such as ornamental and decorative china, resin and porcelain*
Diamonds and other precious stones
Eggs in the event of damage
Glassware* - items partially or wholly made of glass or containing glass, e.g. picture frames that contain glass
Human and animal remains including ashes, other than those being sent for medical research. Those which are sent for medical research should be packaged to ensure no contamination. Limits on the types of service available and categories of claim are the same as for perishable goods
Jewellery (except imitation)
Money - bankers drafts, current bank notes, currency notes or coins, credit cards, debit cards, uncrossed postal orders which do not state to whom they are to be paid, cheques or dividend warrants which are uncrossed and made payable to the bearer, bearer securities including share warrants, scrips or subscription certificates, bonds or relative coupons; unfranked postage or revenue stamps (except a revenue stamp embossed or impressed on an instrument which has been executed), coupons, vouchers, tokens, stamps, lottery tickets, scratch cards or similar items which can be exchanged by themselves or with any other item for money or goods or services, national insurance stamps, all tickets including travel and events
[b]Musical instrument hard cases and suitcases when used as external packaging [/b]
Negotiable documents
Real fur
Restricted goods, where the instructions have not been heeded
SIM cards
Stamps
Watches

It 'doesn't' cover the case but must cover the contents! As for increased compensation you have that option at a later stage in the process.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='65296' date='Sep 25 2007, 01:17 PM']Just looked through their exclusion policy and here are 'senditnow's exclusions...

[b]Musical instrument hard cases and suitcases when used as external packaging [/b]

It 'doesn't' cover the case but must cover the contents! As for increased compensation you have that option at a later stage in the process.[/quote]

Must? ha ha well I bet if a forklift runs over that bass you'd not get more than £150 back ...

Oh those crazy mixed up kids,

Still never shipping a bass via Royal Mail or any of its subsideries ever again ....

[quote name='OldGit' post='65304' date='Sep 25 2007, 01:26 PM']Must? ha ha well I bet if a forklift runs over that bass you'd not get more than £150 back ...

Oh those crazy mixed up kids,

Still never shipping a bass via Royal Mail or any of its subsideries ever again ....[/quote]

I have no axe to grind and nor do I have an affiliation with any courier but where does it say you won't get more than £150? I've used them and spoken to the main office explaining that I was sending a £1000 instrument and would be taking out the appropriate level of cover, was this acceptable, the answer... 'yes'! At the time I did get the name and full particulars of the person I spoke to and they were happy to do this.

It clearly states that the case when used as packaging is excluded... not the contents!

I accept that ANY courier will try to worm their way out of paying compensation but I've yet to here of a single courier that has a faultless record of paying for damages! I'm sure this has been debated on numerous occasions and as yet there appears to be no clear cut absolute perfect courier for sending our [b]prescious[/b]!

As has been said before the best thing is to meet up or deliver in person. I thought nothing of driving from Newcastle to Dundee or Newcastle to Birmingham for a collection. In fact I once drove to Cambridge to collect and turned round empty handed when the bass wasn't as described. However, if someone wants to buy from me and won't/can't collect then 'they pays their money and takes their chances'!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='65370' date='Sep 25 2007, 03:07 PM']I have no axe to grind and nor do I have an affiliation with any courier but where does it say you won't get more than £150? I've used them and spoken to the main office explaining that I was sending a £1000 instrument and would be taking out the appropriate level of cover, was this acceptable, the answer... 'yes'! At the time I did get the name and full particulars of the person I spoke to and they were happy to do this.[/quote]

I know they don't make it clear , and, believe me, even if 20 people from Royal Mail tell you "incorrect" information (as happened to me) you still have a real problem convincing them to pay out ...

So ... from the senditnow website

"www.senditnow.com operates under the Parcelforce Worldwide brand, which is a trading name of Royal Mail Group Ltd"

You are dealing with Parcel Force ...

FAQ, terms and conditions:
[url="http://www.senditnow.com/faq.html#terms"]http://www.senditnow.com/faq.html#terms[/url]

Claims for damaged stuff

"Senditnow.com uses Parcelforce Worldwide as their chosen parcels carrier, and the form has full details of where this needs to be sent.
Once this is received by Parcelforce Worldwide, they will acknowledge the claim within 7 days, but a full investigation and decision can take up to 8 weeks, so please do be patient while they look into this thoroughly for you. For damage claims, it is really important that you keep the contents and the original packaging as Parcelforce Worldwide will probably want to send out a qualified damage inspector to look at the parcel.
You must submit your claim within 30 days of delivery."

From the Parcel Force wrapping guidelines:
[url="http://www.parcelforce.com/portal/pw/content1?catId=25800694&mediaId=load105018"]http://www.parcelforce.com/portal/pw/conte...iaId=load105018[/url]

"Any instrument strings should be loosened. Musical instruments will only be covered up to £150 of compensation for loss or damage."

As I have discovered over the last 6 months the Royal Mail website is The Law according to Judge Dread and the Customer Services bit of Royal Mail.
If you don't play by the guidelines (published in a locked filing cabinet in the basement of the planning department of one of teh moons around Alpha Centuri for 10 of your earth years) you will have the devils own job to get your compensation (or pm me and I'll tell you who to call)

Simply put, use someone ese.

Must be serious if they won't even allow chocolate on the list! Even a watch!! Jeez........Basically then, give us your money and expect the worst and hope for the best.

[quote name='Sugden' post='4720' date='May 22 2007, 10:01 PM']Hi I know a number of people on here used to, and maybe still do send their basses with parcel2go and I would advise against it after reading the uninsurable list. Guitars (all)

"The following items (or any item similar in description or content) can only be carried on an uninsured basis on any service.
Any person sending such an item does so at their own risk:
Added 1/1/2007:"

[url="http://www.parcel2go.com/shipping-items.aspx#unins"]http://www.parcel2go.com/shipping-items.aspx#unins[/url]

Just thought I would post it up. I normaly send my basses with them but have had to go with UPS this time due to not been able to send the bass insured with parcel2go. Dont want anyone missing that bit of info loosing their bass or it getting damaged in the post and have nothing to show for it for a broken or lost bass :)[/quote]