Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Boutique / High End Jazz Bass

Musicman20

Well…..Im in a bit of a muddle with my next bass. I won’t be getting it for quite a while, but I’d like to know roughly what type of price I am looking at.

I was all set for getting a £1000+ 5 string bass, whether it be a Jazz type (Lakland), secondhand Sadowsky, or a new EB Stingray 5/Sterling 5.

Im not sure….I need to test more 5 stringers to see if I really need it. I’ve had a 5 string, but it was literally 14 years ago, when I was about 14/15. I did not like it, but it was very cheap. Im going to the Bass Merchant soon to see how I feel with other types of 5 string….but for the moment I might just stick to what I feel comfy with.

So….if I opt not to go 5, I can look at a very nice 4 and a fretless.

Fretless….Ive already decided on a Tony Franklin….I just love how they sound. Simple as that. I won’t pull the trigger for a while, but its on my GAS list.

What I really want, no matter what, is another Jazz bass. Since hearing the tone when I was about 12, I loved it. I finally got my USA Fender Jazz this year and im glad I waited for these new Fenders; they are much better than the previous series.

So…..really it has to be a bit special. I was thinking Geddy Lee…but what about getting a proper 70s type Jazz or other high end Jazz/ That gives a few options:

1. Sadowsky UV Jazz - £1800+ new
2. Fender 75 Reissue - £1250 new
3. Or just stick with a Geddy Lee - £630-£699 new
4. Go for a different style of Jazz eg Daryl Jones Skyline Lakland - ?! £1000?
5. Save and save for an Alleva - £LOADS

What are your views on these type of Jazz basses?

Lakland? How do they hold up?

Thanks

[quote name='Musicman20' post='564537' date='Aug 9 2009, 10:26 PM']Hmm

Good point.

What kind of prices does he 'roughly' charge for tradtional basses?[/quote]

Prices here:

[url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/jspec.htm"]http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/jspec.htm[/url]

I guess you're looking at anything north of £835, depending on how much you want on it.

Edited by thedonutman

How will one stand up..?

It would be my expectation that a custom made bass by a good maker with a name will be much better than a bass from a shop.

The mark-up that the shop gets should go straight into the bass you are getting direct. If the maker could not promise/garauntee you a much better bass, then why bother.. ? and I'd say that that maker wasn't upto to much anyway...

I think the basses you mention should be very good basses but a decent custom luthier should be able to build a better bass..IMO..

So, if I wasn't convinced of that with a visit to the makers workshop, I wouldn't be using that luthier..