Why become a member? ×

Japanese Fender query

bythesea

They are good value and great quality.

I think we're done here? :)

Actually, in today's market, I don't think Jap Fender guitars are necessarily always all that great value, some of the prices being asked for them exceed the cost of USA built ones and a good guitar is a good guitar, regardless of where it's made!

Cheers,
JAmes

[quote name='Moos3h' post='563471' date='Aug 8 2009, 01:58 PM']some of the prices being asked for them exceed the cost of USA built ones[/quote]

I'm not really seeing that. More like Japs are anything between £450 - £700 depending on model (bass) and the US equivalents can be anything up to £1200. No contest for me, I have never owned a US Fender (although have had a shot now and again), and refuse to gig with anything that costs me over £500. My Jap Jazz and 'Precision' both cost me around £450 and they are spot on, build-wise, finish-wise, sound-wise. No point taking a chance with the Mex models and I'm not going to pay an extra 3-400 quid for a 'Made in USA' sticker.

In all my time of trawling internet forums, I have yet to see any bad stuff written about Japanese Fenders. They may have crept up a bit in price recently, but that has to be as a result of their reputation.

This is the (imprecise) Precision. Just cannot fault it in any way.

[quote name='Starless' post='563592' date='Aug 8 2009, 05:39 PM']They may have crept up a bit in price recently, but that has to be as a result of their reputation.[/quote]
It's got more to do with the exchange rates than anything else, though they are great instruments.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='Starless' post='563592' date='Aug 8 2009, 06:39 PM'][/quote]

Pretty! What exactly is it?

I was drawn to Fender Japan because they simply offer a much wider range of instruments, finish options and the choice of a maple or rosewood fingerboard for lefty instruments whereas Fender USA only offers the New American Standard P and J in black with a white pickguard or sunburst with a tortoise pickguard, with a rosewood board only. I have played a few MIJ P's and J's and they're at least on par with their US-made counterparts. When buying a new one they are indeed very close in pricing, for the price of a new MIJ '75 Jazz reissue you get an American Standard Jazz. But then you don't get blocks and bindings, US-made '70's reissue pickups and a high gloss neck, you'd have to buy the American Vintage '75 Jazz which is well above the MIJ in pricing.

[quote name='pete.young' post='564055' date='Aug 9 2009, 11:52 AM']It is a CIJ PB70 80US fretless, a not-for-export model with US pickups and I'll guess a jazz-width neck. I have an identical one, except that it has frets.[/quote]

Yes it is a 70's re-issue with US electrics. The neck is certainly Jazz width, but a bit chunkier in profile (if I could find a Jazz that looks exactly the same then I would have that like a shot - but not sure if they ever existed). The only downside to the bass is the weight. It is appreciably heavier than my Jazz, and I am not 100% sure what the body material is... certainly matches the maple neck and fingerboard, but I was always under the impression that these things were either ash or basswood. Either way, those cunning devils in the land of the rising sun did a fab job matching the wood finishes.

Quick reply to all those who PMd (and anyone else who's interested). I was watching a Japanese unlined fretless Jazz on ebay (which I daresay some others here were also watching) but had no idea what price it could be expected to reach.

As it turned out it went for £360 (a bit more than I had) which is along the lines of the advice I was getting so useful for the future.

Thanks to all who responded :)

Edited by bythesea