Why become a member? ×

Strings

Pete Academy

[quote name='mrcrow' post='563390' date='Aug 8 2009, 11:38 AM']i have noticed if i take off the strings for any work on the bass
they sound brighter for a bit when i put them back on
this leads me to think that coiling and coiling them several times with the application of a string cleaner may help to ease out dirt, sweat and skin cells
string coatings imho are a step forward but i have seen elixirs exhibiting breakdown in the coating on the well rubbed fretted section maybe trapping sweat etc in
boiling i feel is a no way situation with water just dying to corrode the wraps and core
better with an inert light cleaner with lubricating qualities...i havent tried fast fret...but coud asssume meths would do the job
what is generall known as trike
was a favourite for cleaning engine parts when i used to spend my life doing bike engines.
just a thought

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichloroethylene"]TRIKE[/url][/quote]

Isn't Trich carcinogenic?

[quote name='mrcrow' post='563390' date='Aug 8 2009, 11:38 AM']i have noticed if i take off the strings for any work on the bass
they sound brighter for a bit when i put them back on
this leads me to think that coiling and coiling them several times with the application of a string cleaner may help to ease out dirt, sweat and skin cells
string coatings imho are a step forward but i have seen elixirs exhibiting breakdown in the coating on the well rubbed fretted section maybe trapping sweat etc in[/quote]
There was a remark to this effect in the DB section recently

[quote name='Moos3h' post='563066' date='Aug 7 2009, 09:03 PM']I make no claims to have tried every string in the book, but I find Elites (Stainless Steel) are just fantastic for me. Yes, you might get 1-2 gigs extra out of a set of Elixirs, but that doesn't justify the huge jump in costs.

Oh and a dab of Fast Fret as and when they need it.

Cheers,
James[/quote]

+1

Absolutely superb strings.

[url="http://www.basscentre.com/4-string-bass-sets/elites-stadium-series-iv.html"]http://www.basscentre.com/4-string-bass-se...-series-iv.html[/url]

A slightly different question; what do you use to trim down stupidly long strings? When putting on a set of LaBellas, they had almost foot long wrapped bits, but my dads normal wire cutters had no chance of chopping them down to size, so they're now wrapped round the posts a dozen times.

I sweat a lot and get through strings very quickly because I like the new string sound. I like the Rotosound Swingbass 66 strings - currently using the Billy Sheehan set on my Jazz in fact. To save money I've got this big pot of methylated spirits (the purple stuff that's mostly ethanol) which I keep strings in for about 24 hours and they sound like new again for a while. Plus I've been using alcohol hand gel before I play to keep my hands cleaner.

[quote name='lonestar' post='563426' date='Aug 8 2009, 12:41 PM']Isn't Trich carcinogenic?[/quote]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichloroethylene#Physiological_effects"]dont inhale and wear gloves?[/url]

if there is any chance of a risk...avoid

i dont smoke or drink alcohol nor would ever try drugs

if i get cancer i will be disappointed...at 67 i have some time to go though

i also avoid dangerous situations...and sports

some jazz horn players got cancer of the throat etc

I really love DR Black Beauties, they do last a long time but mine are sounding a bit dead now after a few months on. I'm tempted to try La Bella Black Nylon tapewound on my fretted bass as they are fabulous on my fretless basses.

Never tried tapes on a fretted bass before, logic tells me they will get mashed quickly, am I right?

• 8 months later...