Why become a member? ×

Help with DIY 4x10 needed

richrips

[quote name='Stewart' post='563944' date='Aug 9 2009, 01:04 AM']Take a look at RCF 4PRO 7001 as one example.
JBL, EV et al undoubtedly do similar arrayable units.
Not really a bass rig though :)

Edit: Here's a link:

[url="http://www.rcf.it/web/rcf/products/pro-speaker-systems/4pro-series/4pro-7001a-mh"]RCF 3way arrayable[/url][/quote]

Spooky! I was looking at that page about 30 mins ago!! Yeah - don't care if it isn't a bass rig... seems that bass gear isn't really up to the job I need it for anyway he he he he!!

If after all this...you still want a DIY cab..what are you saving..?

You'll get decent units on here for a couple hundred easily..

4 Deltalites..for example..will cost you best part of £300...

Get a old TE or an Ashdown....or get 2 2x10's which will probably end up more expensive

Still, it is all fun...this gassing

[quote name='Stewart' post='563944' date='Aug 8 2009, 08:04 PM']Take a look at RCF 4PRO 7001 as one example.

[url="http://www.rcf.it/web/rcf/products/pro-speaker-systems/4pro-series/4pro-7001a-mh"]RCF 3way arrayable[/url][/quote]
Child's play compared to this:
[url="http://www.sweetwaveaudio.com/sales/l-acoustics/kudo.php"]http://www.sweetwaveaudio.com/sales/l-acoustics/kudo.php[/url]

One could use a Kudo or two for bass, if you've got a mind to, and the price of entry. :)

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='563975' date='Aug 9 2009, 03:18 AM']Child's play compared to this:
[url="http://www.sweetwaveaudio.com/sales/l-acoustics/kudo.php"]http://www.sweetwaveaudio.com/sales/l-acoustics/kudo.php[/url]

One could use a Kudo or two for bass, if you've got a mind to, and the price of entry. :)[/quote]

lol! Maybe a wee bit out of my price bracket ;o) Still - at least it's in the direction of what I'd like to achieve, maybe a powered sub underneath a powered line array box.. somethong around the size of a 6x10 would be suitable!

I feel like i should be paying for this much knowledge..... alas, a couple more questions!

1.Is dispersion affected by the width of a cab or simply by the width of the speakers in the cab? (for a traditional box with speaker in front arrangement)

2.Why is it bad to use different sized speakers to produce the same frequencies? (surely almost every rig [cue bi-amping argument...] with parallel identical outputs running in to two cabs where one is, say, a 4x10 and the other a 1x15, would be a victim of this fault?

3.And in a way, i want to go back to a more informed version of my original question....
i have been convinced that a 4x10 is bad science. i would like two cabs for ease of carrying and so i can use one alone for smaller gigs etc. i don't want these two cabs to interfere with each other when used together. i want a full spectrum of sound as i am an effects fiend and i want good power handling. i don't want this rig to be huge, just to sound it!

I really would like to make my own cabs because:

1.i love making stuff
2. i refuse to accept that markbass et al are capable of any mystical wizardry beyond us mortals which makes their cabs worth 4-500 quid more than the materials used
3. i don't have the money to buy an off-the-shelf lightweight rig but can afford a few neo speakers and ply by selling my current monolith...

SOOOO.... what do i build? :)

Thanks,

Rich

[quote name='richrips' post='564251' date='Aug 9 2009, 12:06 PM']I feel like i should be paying for this much knowledge..... alas, a couple more questions!

1.Is dispersion affected by the width of a cab or simply by the width of the speakers in the cab? (for a traditional box with speaker in front arrangement)[/quote] Both.

[quote]2.Why is it bad to use different sized speakers to produce the same frequencies? (surely almost every rig [cue bi-amping argument...] with parallel identical outputs running in to two cabs where one is, say, a 4x10 and the other a 1x15, would be a victim of this fault?[/quote] Because their outputs are different they can detract from each other as much as they augment each other, with a different result at every frequency. Identical drivers/cabs will only augment each other.

[quote]SOOOO.... what do i build? :)

Thanks,

Rich[/quote]What I said in my first post.

[quote name='richrips' post='564251' date='Aug 9 2009, 05:06 PM']2.Why is it bad to use different sized speakers to produce the same frequencies? (surely almost every rig [cue bi-amping argument...] with parallel identical outputs running in to two cabs where one is, say, a 4x10 and the other a 1x15, would be a victim of this fault?[/quote]

They are all a victim of the fault, its just the fault isn't going to make the world implode, it might just make your response lumpy and inconsistent in various places around the room. As with most things, if those lumps are in the right place, its all good.

What is your current monolith, I might be interested?

BFM's designs are probably totally awesome and will do what you want, but if you want to save $15 and get something a little more trad looking, go for one of Greenboy's fEarful designs.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='564470' date='Aug 9 2009, 04:14 PM']BFM's designs are probably totally awesome and will do what you want, but if you want to save $15 and get something a little more trad looking, go for one of Greenboy's fEarful designs.[/quote]Where basic bass reflex boxes are concerned the fEarful are as good as any commercial offerings, and better than most. I'd be hard pressed to name a commercial cab that's as well engineered, or even close to it for that matter. I've also recently prototyped a couple of 12/6 cabs for a manufacturer, similar to the fEarful 12/6, using the 3012HO driver. They're nice cabs, a lot better than the high priced 'boutique' 1x12s out there. OTOH side by side with my Jack 112 loaded with a only a 2512 they're very much also-rans. You can only do so much with a bass reflex box.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='564487' date='Aug 9 2009, 09:32 PM']Where basic bass reflex boxes are concerned the fEarful are as good as any commercial offerings, and better than most. I'd be hard pressed to name a commercial cab that's as well engineered, or even close to it for that matter. I've also recently prototyped a couple of 12/6 cabs for a manufacturer, similar to the fEarful 12/6, using the 3012HO driver. They're nice cabs, a lot better than the high priced 'boutique' 1x12s out there. OTOH side by side with my Jack 112 loaded with a only a 2512 they're very much also-rans. You can only do so much with a bass reflex box.[/quote]

hi bill, i'm swinging towards your idea for a couple of 1x12+horn jack cabs. before i place my order, a couple of questions:

What speakers would this combination use for a good power-weight ratio. i'm quite keen on neo celestions but if you can recommend a 12inch driver,a tweeter and a crossover (or simple plans for one...) available in the uk, i can start doing sums.

do you have a response curve for a 1x12 jack cab?

Any user feedback on Bills 1x12 jack cabs would also be much appreciated!

I'm glad that this is starting to point at a specific build route after all the discussion! Thanks to all the contributors, especially Bill, Mr.T, Alex, Stewart and i'm sure i've missed a few.... Cheers team!

rich

incidentally, i'm using a peavey 2x10 tvx and a bw 115 both mint condition unlike my back (which i screwed working for removals..) i'll be selling soon from cardiff, plymouth and anywhere in between. also i drive to maidenhead occasionally.

[quote name='richrips' post='564882' date='Aug 10 2009, 07:53 AM']hi bill, i'm swinging towards your idea for a couple of 1x12+horn jack cabs. before i place my order, a couple of questions:

What speakers would this combination use for a good power-weight ratio. i'm quite keen on neo celestions but if you can recommend a 12inch driver,a tweeter and a crossover (or simple plans for one...) available in the uk, i can start doing sums.

do you have a response curve for a 1x12 jack cab?

Any user feedback on Bills 1x12 jack cabs would also be much appreciated!

I'm glad that this is starting to point at a specific build route after all the discussion! Thanks to all the contributors, especially Bill, Mr.T, Alex, Stewart and i'm sure i've missed a few.... Cheers team!

rich

incidentally, i'm using a peavey 2x10 tvx and a bw 115 both mint condition unlike my back (which i screwed working for removals..) i'll be selling soon from cardiff, plymouth and anywhere in between. also i drive to maidenhead occasionally.[/quote]For specific information regarding my designs you should go to my forum, [url="http://billfitzmaurice.net/phpBB3/"]http://billfitzmaurice.net/phpBB3/[/url]. Thanks.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='564487' date='Aug 9 2009, 09:32 PM']Where basic bass reflex boxes are concerned the fEarful are as good as any commercial offerings, and better than most. I'd be hard pressed to name a commercial cab that's as well engineered, or even close to it for that matter. I've also recently prototyped a couple of 12/6 cabs for a manufacturer, similar to the fEarful 12/6, using the 3012HO driver. They're nice cabs, a lot better than the high priced 'boutique' 1x12s out there. OTOH side by side with my Jack 112 loaded with a only a 2512 they're very much also-rans. You can only do so much with a bass reflex box.[/quote]
Such a wonderful example of damning with faint praise.