Why become a member? ×

Octave pedals - EBS vs Micro POG

coasterbass

Morning,

I'm looking to update my octave pedal. I'm currently running a Boss OC2 pedal, and although it can create some very interesting sounds I'm looking for something a bit more regular.
Basically I'm looking for an octave pedal for fretted bass that will track down to at least an open A string. The effect I'm looking for is to create 'big and deep and long', rather than anything more funky.

Comments on here relating to the EBS Octabass and Micro POG have intrigued me and I wondered if anyone has run these back to back, or could explain what differences I might find between the two. The Micro POG's octave-up is on interest to me, but does it track as well as the octave down? Should I keep things simple and go for the EBS which (I believe to be) a very solid performer.

Thanks all

I like the EBS, it's smoother than the OC2, not as gritty. Tracking is a little better than the OC2.

I have no experience of the Micro POG. On Youtube and clips I've heard, it sounds digital and not very pleasant to my ears.

You should also check out the newish Dunlop MXR 288, which is supposed to have the best of both worlds - a knob for a gritty OC2 like tone and a knob for a cleaner EBS type tone. The tracking is supposed to be very good, better than the OC2 and EBS. Has a mid control which might suit your fretless well too. Check out this video:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxQRMoMv_5s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxQRMoMv_5s[/url]

I think if I was looking to replace my OC-2 the first pedal I'd try is the MXR 288. I think those EBS boxes are a bit overpriced for what you get, and I don't think of the Micro POG as an "octaver" really, I think of it as a digital harmoniser with very minimal options. It's very good at what it does, but too weedy-sounding to replace an analogue octaver.