Why become a member? ×

Oldish fart newby says hello.

blazer3

Hi all.
A mate of mine pointed me in the direction of this bass site so here i am.
41 years young and just started learning the bass, i love this instrument, where would any band be without a bass player, my influences are Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Led Zep. basically all the old school stuff.
I bought a jazz bass copy yesterday as i like the sound, i"m hoping to save up and get a proper jazz bass but the one i bought sounds great so it will do me for a while.
Any advice will be extremely welcome.

Played my first gig last year at 50 so join the club, young man! My one and only regret in life is not doing this 30 years ago.

As mid-life crises go playing bass can work out a bit cheaper than sports cars or mistresses. As long as you keep away from the 'For Sale' section, anyway.

Some unsolicited advice from another relative newie - don't be in a rush to get your gear. Listen to and play as much as you can before buying anything expensive. I was in a huge hurry, ignored what people said on here and ended up replacing stuff I bought initially.