Why become a member? ×

Suggest a good fretless under a grand

1976fenderhead

I've been meaning to buy an acoustic fretless but after much research I decided it wasn't a good idea and now I'm just looking for a normal electric fretless.

There's not a lot of stuff out there in shops to try out so I'd like to know your suggestions... So far best options from web research seem to be the Corvette Std ash or bubinga (which I haven't managed to try fretless but will see if I can try fretted to check out how it sounds) and, surprisingly, the Tanglewood Canyon 2 which I tried at the Bass Gallery yesterday and it had loads of mwahhh, great sound and versatility and seemed to have (from my short-timed examination) brilliant craftsmanship... It's very unbalanced though, I'm worried it might be tiring to play a bass that is so neck-heavy... But it sounded much better than the more expensive fretless Yamaha they had there...

I'd also like it to have a natural finish (no pickguard) preferably, and no lines on the fretboard! Let me know your suggestions!

Edited by 1976fenderhead

Depends how far "under a grand" you mean. Have a look in the for sale section here - several nice ones up recently, but there's an Overwater 5 fretless (natural, no scratchplate) up for one grand.

There is also a very nice Marleaux, though that's a bit over what you want, and I see that Jan has put up his Rick Turner Electroline today ( I was considering that when it was up before). It isn't a natural finish but it is under a grand.

And that's apart from all the ones I can't remember off the top of my head :)

[quote name='bythesea' post='554983' date='Jul 29 2009, 12:11 PM']Depends how far "under a grand" you mean. Have a look in the for sale section here - several nice ones up recently, but there's an Overwater 5 fretless (natural, no scratchplate) up for one grand.

There is also a very nice Marleaux, though that's a bit over what you want, and I see that Jan has put up his Rick Turner Electroline today ( I was considering that when it was up before). It isn't a natural finish but it is under a grand.

And that's apart from all the ones I can't remember off the top of my head :)[/quote]

Thanks, will have a look.
I'd like it at around 600 to 800 tops but all depends...

New, provided you don't mind 5-string you'll be hard pushed to beat the [url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eb_page09.php?area_id=3&data_id=146&color=CL01&year=2009&cat_id=2&series_id=211"]Ibanez GWB35[/url].

Second hand I'd be looking for a used [url="http://www.pedulla.com/html/mvp_buzz.html"]Pedulla Buzz[/url]. If you're prepared to wait you should eventually find one for under a grand.

Edited by BigRedX

Have just tried a fretless Corvette (ash) and was disappointed by it. Excellent tone but no fretless quality at all. No mwahh, a bit dead in that sense no matter what I tried with the EQ, etc, just no expression at all. Tanglewood beats it in that department, although probably not as a good a preamp and pickup, but that can always be changed later... More and more inclined to the £429 Canyon!

Edited by 1976fenderhead

When I was in the market for a new fretless, the bubinga Corvette was at the top of my list - it's a much nicer sounding bass than the ash one (IMHO) I recommend you try one out before you discount the Corvettes completely.

[quote name='TheRev' post='555166' date='Jul 29 2009, 02:58 PM']When I was in the market for a new fretless, the bubinga Corvette was at the top of my list - it's a much nicer sounding bass than the ash one (IMHO) I recommend you try one out before you discount the Corvettes completely.[/quote]

I did try a bubinga bass there, but the only one they had was a fretted Thumb... The tone was a tiny bit better but I actually much preferred it switched on passive, and that's not a good sign! And then I have no tone controls! I doubt it would sound much more expressive for being bubinga? But where the hell am I gonna find that? Man you're really limited when you wanna try fretless basses!

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='555180' date='Jul 29 2009, 03:04 PM']I did try a bubinga bass there, but the only one they had was a fretted Thumb... The tone was a tiny bit better but I actually much preferred it switched on passive, and that's not a good sign! And then I have no tone controls! I doubt it would sound much more expressive for being bubinga? But where the hell am I gonna find that? Man you're really limited when you wanna try fretless basses![/quote]

The bubinga gives the bass a lot more lower mids which adds to the growl.... I liked it anyway!
There is a school of thought that says a good fretless tone is all in the set up (very low action at the nut), strings (roundwounds = more mwaah. flatwounds = more double bassyness) and left hand technique (vibrato) rather than the actual bass so you could just go for a fretless version of a bass you already like and then fettle til you get the sound you want.

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='555180' date='Jul 29 2009, 03:04 PM']Man you're really limited when you wanna try fretless basses![/quote]
Tell me about it! Ridiculous. The cash i've gone through buying FLs I couldn't try first, then having to sell them.

[quote name='silddx' post='555242' date='Jul 29 2009, 03:52 PM']Tell me about it! Ridiculous. The cash i've gone through buying FLs I couldn't try first, then having to sell them.[/quote]
Just as well this question wasn't asked a couple of weeks ago though. Fretless bass, wonderful tone. between 600 and 800. Hmmm :)

A second hand musicman ( 4 or 5 string) will often be got for your budget and there`s a good chance you can get to try one first! these normally have good mwaah factor!

hope this helps

good luck

This is interesting. I would really like to get a fretless at some point. 5 string bass first, then fretless 4.

Does anyone have any idea of a fretless, fender type body, jazz pickups, around the £1K mark (maybe a little more)?

Im guessing the Tony Franklin is probably right for me....have I just answered my own question?

I would really like the single coil at the bridge for that smooth jaco quack tone.

Hmmm...

I'd also like an ebony board.....is this the norm anyway?

I've no idea if its normal to have passive or active, or whether it even matters!

Thanks