Why become a member? ×

Another Amazing Bass Part

Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='554192' date='Jul 28 2009, 05:25 PM']This is 'There It Is' by Shalamar. Sublime part and sound. I can't remember the player's name, but I'm sure he was the writer/producer. I think he played and wrote 'And The Beat Goes On'.

Again, the bassline is the song.[/quote]
Isn't it Bernard Edwards (with Nile Rogers), of Chic & Sister Sledge fame? That was when "body popping" was all the rage, and I remember the singer doing an amazing solo dance routine to "Night to Remember" on TOTP. :)

[quote name='molan' post='554781' date='Jul 29 2009, 09:28 AM']I thought the, wonderfully named, Leon F Sylvers III played on a lot of Shalamar's stuff (as well as writing & production credits).

James Ingram also credited with some bass parts on the Friends album :)[/quote]

That's him!

[quote name='obi 2 kenobi' post='554811' date='Jul 29 2009, 09:48 AM']Its Leon Sylvers on bass playing a Rick[/quote]

He did play bass on most Shalamar tunes and, I believe, most of the stuff he produced from the Solar Records stable at that time.

I always thought "There It Is" sounded like a bass synth though...too perfect and almost looped. Could be wrong!

Tis a wondeful bass part though. Other LFS parts I like are;

And The Beat Goes On (The Whispers)
Sweeter As The Days Go By (Shalamar)
Friends (Shalamar)

All tight as the proverbial gnat's chuff! :rolleyes:

And if you like Shalamar choons check out the bass line on the title track from their album "The Look". Played by none other than a certain Mr Stanley Clarke... :)

CB

[quote name='Captain Bassman' post='555126' date='Jul 29 2009, 02:36 PM']He did play bass on most Shalamar tunes and, I believe, most of the stuff he produced from the Solar Records stable at that time.

I always thought "There It Is" sounded like a bass synth though...too perfect and almost looped. Could be wrong!

Tis a wondeful bass part though. Other LFS parts I like are;

And The Beat Goes On (The Whispers)
Sweeter As The Days Go By (Shalamar)
Friends (Shalamar)

All tight as the proverbial gnat's chuff! :rolleyes:

And if you like Shalamar choons check out the bass line on the title track from their album "The Look". Played by none other than a certain Mr Stanley Clarke... :)

CB[/quote]

Ah, the unmistakeable sound of an Alembic being slapped. Stan used to have Howard Hewett from Shalalmar guest on his albums.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='555157' date='Jul 29 2009, 02:55 PM']Ah, the unmistakeable sound of an Alembic being slapped. Stan used to have Howard Hewett from Shalalmar guest on his albums.[/quote]

Oh yeah, "Heaven Sent You" from Time Exposure is a class act...both vocally and bass-ally! A nice one for anybody looking for something to transcribe!

LFS using A Ricky?? :) I always thought he sounded like a P-bass?

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='554192' date='Jul 28 2009, 05:25 PM']This is 'There It Is' by Shalamar. Sublime part and sound. I can't remember the player's name, but I'm sure he was the writer/producer. I think he played and wrote 'And The Beat Goes On'.

Again, the bassline is the song.[/quote]

I just love this Roxy Music track off the Bette Noir album I think it was Marcus Miller but if i am wrong i am sure someone will tell me (Great groove)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3kChhbRqjQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3kChhbRqjQ[/url]

see what you think

[quote name='BassBunny' post='555257' date='Jul 29 2009, 04:03 PM']Wasn't that Jeffrey Daniels?[/quote]

I think that's all he did - pretty sure he didn't actually sing on anything!

Mostly famous for being the guy that taught Michael Jackson how to 'moonwalk' :)

If you like the track, I would recommend this DVD: [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Disco-Town-DVD-Various/dp/B00096J1HS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1248882143&sr=1-2"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Disco-Town-DV...2143&sr=1-2[/url]

It's called The Best Disco In Town, and if you can get over the embarrassment of having such a title in your collection, you'll see and hear some fantastic bass playing. The house band - especially the bass player - is top notch, as they back Kid Creole and the Coconuts, Shalamar, Tavares, The Real Thing. Rose Royce have their own band and another amazing bass player. The gig ends with a sublime set from Chic. Bernard Edwards' replacement is fantastic, as is Omar Hakim on drums. Highly recommended.

Oh, and the female vocalist in Chic is WELL fit. :)