Why become a member? ×

What the!!!

mrjim

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Old-1960s-JEDSON-Short-Scale-Bass-Guitar-JAPANESE-MIJ_W0QQitemZ160351891553QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item2555b7b061&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A2%7C66%3A4%7C39%3A1%7C293%3A3%7C294%3A200"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Old-1960s-JEDSON-Sho...3A3%7C294%3A200[/url]

We'll i've never seen anything quite like it... :)

These are right common, basses & guitars like this, the proud output of J.E Dallas & Sons (see what they did there) from the late 60s/early 70s, and there are usually one or two floating around on Ebay.

I have no personal experience of them, neither do I want any, but if one turned up at my local car boot I would of course feel duty-bound to buy it & flip it on Fleabay for a negligible profit. :)

Jon.

Got no brief to ride to the rescue of JapCrap under attack, but it ain't necessarily so that all Jedsons were rubbish.

I had a 70's Jedson LP, a Black Beauty copy. Not being much of a guitarist I asked a couple of friends to try it for me and they both thought it was really rather good.

On a whim, I took it into Vintage & Rare (Denmark Street) to A/B it with a genuine 1973 Gibson. I couldn't tell the difference, and the guys in the shop were struggling too.

Not making that up.

I'm sure there were loads of crap Jedsons, but some good ones made it through, too.

I've seen some nice Jedsons too. Unfortunately this isn't one of them.

Telltale signs of crap: bridge adjustable for string spacing rather than intonation, individual slide on/off switches for the pickups, only a passing resemblance to the instrument who's shape it is copying.

Also the bass in question doesn't actually sport the Jedson name anywhere on it. I would suspect that this instrument originally came from Woolworths.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='554184' date='Jul 28 2009, 05:19 PM']Got no brief to ride to the rescue of JapCrap under attack, but it ain't necessarily so that all Jedsons were rubbish.

I had a 70's Jedson LP, a Black Beauty copy. Not being much of a guitarist I asked a couple of friends to try it for me and they both thought it was really rather good.

On a whim, I took it into Vintage & Rare (Denmark Street) to A/B it with a genuine 1973 Gibson. I couldn't tell the difference, and the guys in the shop were struggling too.

Not making that up.

I'm sure there were loads of crap Jedsons, but some good ones made it through, too.[/quote]
Later Jedsons were predominantly Matsumoku-made, & some of them are stunning - I keep seeing lovely natural LPs with bookmatched flamed tops selling for silly money on Fleabay. The acoustics are getting quite collectable and can sometimes sell for eye-watering amounts.

If you're sad like me check out the Jedson fan/collectors' site:

[url="http://jedsonguitars.net/"]http://jedsonguitars.net/[/url]

Jedson was only around until the early 70s when J.E. Dallas & Sons merged with Arbiter to form the recently demised Dallas-Arbiter. And the subsequent JapCrap was branded Arbiter, still sourced from Uncle Mat.

FWIW I was outbid on a rather pretty (and accurate) Jedson Strat copy on Sunday night. Had to go & play a gig so I got pipped at the last second. Bugger.

J.

Got one of these. Was my GF's dad's and the bridge was hanging off. Took it because i felt sorry for it and gave it a little TLC for a few nights. lives in the closet now. Seems to have had a crack in the neck but fixed with 2 screws. Gotta say it aint too bad but the electronics are a little crackly. One thing i do love is its finish, i usually HATE sunburst finishes but this one looks right to me.