Why become a member? ×

£1400 for a new head, what to buy?

Sean.Robinson

[quote name='JTUK' post='554496' date='Jul 28 2009, 10:15 PM']I'd be looking 2nd hand 1st and foremost to get rid of any depreciation issues.

Also, I'd want it to be made by a western salaried tech for that money..talking of which, I wouldn't have a Mesa as two many guitarists I've known have had problems and my amp man says they are poorly made inside.
He hates getting them in to repair.. so, lovely sound, but............. IMO

On my radar would be Aguilar pre's and amps, Markbass, Glocks and erm..that will do for now..

It wil be fun getting round to trying therm all[/quote]

I have heard that about Mesa guitar stuff, plus the Rectifier amps are to blame for a lot of the ultra-polished US rock stuff I really hate. But after trying the bass stuff, I was impressed to the point of really wanting it! Maybe I ended up dodging a bullet in the long term, but I would pick the Mesa over a lot of other stuff. The price really does put me off though, even second hand stuff. Around Chrismas before I bought my amp, a second hand BB 750 went on e-bay for well over 1100 quid, which to me seems just plain silly for an amp with no warrenty.

yes, I have tried a 400+ a few moons ago and thought sound-wise it was great.

I don't know how much it might cost these days to revalve one with good valves and the weight was a big put-off.
I guess if I was in a situation, where I had backup and support, then the issues I have wouldn't be quite so apparent.. still pertinent tho in some cases..

Yeah I would secretly love the Bass 400+, but the potential costs of revalving pretty much put me off all-valve amps! Until I'm minted and able to replace power-amp valves whenever and carry a back-up amp at all times, I think I'll stick to hybrid amps. Pre-amp tubes are a lot cheaper to replace generally and the amps generally sound 'valvey' enough to do the job. In a gig situation, I don't really think I'm lacking that much in terms of sound to make me think, 'I really need more valves' or the added weight they bring!

Personally as well, in a side by side comparison I thought an Aguilar DB 750 and the Fafner (which only has one valve in it) destroyed an all-tube Ampeg SVT Classic. But that was a new Ampeg, and I don't even want to begin the old Ampeg vs new Ampeg thing...

[quote name='Sjonnie' post='551017' date='Jul 25 2009, 12:04 PM']If it was me I would get these:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aguilar-DB680-Bass-Pre-amp_W0QQitemZ320400047323QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item4a9954bcdb&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1688|293%3A1|294%3A50"]Aguilar DB 680[/url]
And
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-CROWN-XTI-2000-XTI2000-POWER-AMPLIFIER-AMP-SALE_W0QQitemZ150248284085QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item22fb7edfb5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1688|293%3A1|294%3A50"]Crown XTi Power Amp[/url]

All the power and flexibility you'll ever need.[/quote]

Seriously, the Aguilar DB680 is the best preamp I've ever heard.

With that kind of budget, you could get anything that suits your aural/visual/style needs.

[quote name='mildmanofrock' post='555932' date='Jul 30 2009, 11:29 AM']That sounds like a cracking combination. Where can I get me one of them Ampeg SVT IIP's? Do Ampeg even make them anymore?[/quote]

Sadly no longer available. The SVT IIP was replaced by the SVP PRO and SVP CL which both have been discontued as well.

I would love to get my hands on a SVP CL.

[quote name='mildmanofrock' post='555932' date='Jul 30 2009, 10:29 AM']That sounds like a cracking combination. Where can I get me one of them Ampeg SVT IIP's? Do Ampeg even make them anymore?[/quote]
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ampeg-SVT-IIP-Preamp_W0QQitemZ330347184189QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ampeg-SVT-IIP-Preamp...rs_RL?hash=item[/url]

There you go my friend.

Those Crown XTi amps are such good value! I'm going to make patches available for all my models so if you use an XTi with them it'll be like the difference between a Berg IP and a HT - that DSP means you can squeeze out a surprising amount of extra loudness. Not that you're likely to need that extra output but a little bit of overkill never goes amiss in rock and roll...

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='556002' date='Jul 30 2009, 11:24 AM']Those Crown XTi amps are such good value! I'm going to make patches available for all my models so if you use an XTi with them it'll be like the difference between a Berg IP and a HT - that DSP means you can squeeze out a surprising amount of extra loudness. Not that you're likely to need that extra output but a little bit of overkill never goes amiss in rock and roll...

Alex[/quote]

Yep, those Crown amps look really good. Sorry Alex, what will the patches do on your models? I'm a bit crap with abbreviations like Berg IP, HT and DSP. :)

[quote name='mildmanofrock' post='556264' date='Jul 30 2009, 03:54 PM']Yep, those Crown amps look really good. Sorry Alex, what will the patches do on your models? I'm a bit crap with abbreviations like Berg IP, HT and DSP. :)[/quote]

A DSP is a digital signal processor. The Berg IP has one of these built into the onboard power amp, which provides EQ, filtering, compression and limiting to make the cab sound much louder and deeper than you'd expect from something of its size. The XTi amps have a DSP built in and you can download patches for them to you computer and then load them onto the amp via USB, so if you're using them to drive a JBL PA speaker system you can get those patches from JBL's website.

Now obviously my cabs are already designed to go stupidly loud for their size, and even more comically loud for their weight, so they don't really need DSP to help. But if it's available then why not use it? So I can do two patches for each cab, one which provides simple highpass filtering, compression and limiting (highpass filter removes all unwanted energy below the tuning frequency to minimise wasted power and excursion, compressor would only kick in once the cab/amp are reaching their limits, and then limiter to kick in after that), and a second patch which also adds EQ to flatten and extend the response in the lows and smooth out response in the mids and highs (in addition to highpass filtering, compression and limiting).

Alex

[quote name='JTUK' post='554496' date='Jul 28 2009, 10:15 PM']I wouldn't have a Mesa as two many guitarists I've known have had problems and my amp man says they are poorly made inside.[/quote]
Hmm... My MPulse and Walkabout are, spectacularly well-built.

Just sayin'.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='556304' date='Jul 30 2009, 04:30 PM']A DSP is a digital signal processor. The Berg IP has one of these built into the onboard power amp, which provides EQ, filtering, compression and limiting to make the cab sound much louder and deeper than you'd expect from something of its size. The XTi amps have a DSP built in and you can download patches for them to you computer and then load them onto the amp via USB, so if you're using them to drive a JBL PA speaker system you can get those patches from JBL's website.

Now obviously my cabs are already designed to go stupidly loud for their size, and even more comically loud for their weight, so they don't really need DSP to help. But if it's available then why not use it? So I can do two patches for each cab, one which provides simple highpass filtering, compression and limiting (highpass filter removes all unwanted energy below the tuning frequency to minimise wasted power and excursion, compressor would only kick in once the cab/amp are reaching their limits, and then limiter to kick in after that), and a second patch which also adds EQ to flatten and extend the response in the lows and smooth out response in the mids and highs (in addition to highpass filtering, compression and limiting).

Alex[/quote]

I was with you all the way up to 'A DSP...' :)

No, that all makes sense, cheers!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='556304' date='Jul 30 2009, 05:30 PM']A DSP is a digital signal processor. The Berg IP has one of these built into the onboard power amp, which provides EQ, filtering, compression and limiting to make the cab sound much louder and deeper than you'd expect from something of its size. The XTi amps have a DSP built in and you can download patches for them to you computer and then load them onto the amp via USB, so if you're using them to drive a JBL PA speaker system you can get those patches from JBL's website.

Alex[/quote]

If only it would be possible to try these cabs in the EU in the same way you can try them in the UK...

[quote name='Sjonnie' post='556419' date='Jul 30 2009, 06:23 PM']If only it would be possible to try these cabs in the EU in the same way you can try them in the UK...[/quote]

Now that I've found that very few cabs end up coming back I'd be happy to extend the free trial to the EU - you just have to bear in mind that it'll cost about £30 to return it if the two of you don't get on. (I've also found that those that spontaneously buy the cabs are far far more likely to return them than those that have made a more considered decision - maybe I need to send out an 'are you sure you've chosen the right model for you?' questionnaire before shipping! :) ) Unfortunately as soon as you go outside the EU the cost of shipping goes absolutely through the roof!

Alex

Dude, if you want a ridiculously lightweight head with enough head room to fill the biggest of venues id go with a Mark bass Ta503 with out a shadow of a doubt!

Iv owened the GK 1001rb and loved there sound so much I was about to buy the 2001rb for the 'extra watts' but after trying the mark bass out through an 8x10 I was just blown away... The range of tone you can dial in from the EQ is phenomenal!

now go try it out in a shop :)