Why become a member? ×

Replacement necks whats best value/quality

bumnote

Im looking to put together a p bass from parts. I can find advertised or on e bay necks at various prices from various suppliers

Mighty Mite
Dr Parts,
All parts
Stu mac
Warmoth
There seem to be some new ones from ch guitars which appear to come from the same place as sx basses
Guitar parts world wide.

The mighty mite, DR Bass, and ch guitars necks are all similar price, and all seem easily available in the UK. I know the warmoth neck is very good quality but they are a lot more expensive , does anyone have any experience/feedback for any of these?

Thanks

Problem with warmoth is that you have to order them from the states; however from necks ive played on they are the best replacments available; and tbh i think theyre better than the original fender necks

Also theres custom options with warmoth that you dont get from allparts or mighty might.

I have a warmoth gecko 5-string, the neck is beautiful - birds eye maple, ebony fingerboard. Lots of money.
Mighty mite necks - I've fitted 2 (strat & tele necks, no bass necks) they are good quality.
Allparts - seem quite dear for what is a chinese replacement neck but I can't comment on quality.
Ebay - £35 generic P-bass neck fitted, surprisingly good quality, nice to play, accurate fretwork, presumably chinese, no name brand.
My gut feeling tells me that its more pot luck if you go to ebay and pay £50 or less, you may get a good one, it may be a bit ropey.
Pay £120 - £150 off Allparts or WD or one of the many other outlets and you get more chance to have some level of QC in there, or a place to return it if its a dodgy one. Probably the same factories supplying all outlets at the end of the day.
StewMac - I'm not prepared to pay these prices plus shipping and import duty although the product range is vast.

I have recently built two basses using Mighty Mite necks.

The fit is good and they seem to be accurately made.... No warps, bumps, etc.
The frets needed a little dressing and polishing, although perfectly playable straight from the box..... But I like a low action.

[quote name='Mr.T' post='549833' date='Jul 24 2009, 10:13 AM']I have recently built two basses using Mighty Mite necks.

The fit is good and they seem to be accurately made.... No warps, bumps, etc.
The frets needed a little dressing and polishing, although perfectly playable straight from the box..... But I like a low action.[/quote]

I guess that I should clarify....

I am not comparing the MM necks with any of the others that have been mentioned.
It is just my opinion that they seem to represent reasonable value for the money.
I would like to think that the considerably more expensive Warmoths, etc. are of better quality.

I think the warmoth stuff looks pretty good. I hear somewhere that thats who makes the lakland bodies and necks but thats probably just an interned rumour.

I was really impressed with delbert hots 51 bass which was all warmoth parts.

I wouldnt mind at some stage if i had the cash doing a warmoth precision with something like a birdseye maple nck and a really fancy body.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='549834' date='Jul 24 2009, 10:14 AM']I ordered a mighty mite fretless from America on ebay, and it's never shown up!

I have a Warmoth, and it's fantastic, but that is to be expected, you can pretty much pick whatever you want, but it's not cheap.[/quote]
How long ago did you order it?

[quote name='Jono Bolton' post='552943' date='Jul 27 2009, 05:50 PM']I recently bought a WD Jazz neck. Click [url="http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/product/BASS_NECK_MAPLE_BMA"]here[/url] to see my review. It's not exactly glowing.[/quote]

Thanks for that

Im still undecided and that was an expensive neck

To be honest, I'm surprised they included it. All reviews have to be approved before they go up. I stand by it all though, for £170 I was decidedly disappointed. Another point that I should've included is that the heel is absolutely massive in terms of depth, from top to bottom. the fingerboard sits a good 5 or 6 mm about the face of the body, meaning the strings are really far away from the body and the pickups, and so the bridge pickup is really weak sounding on the Jazz, and I can't find any luthiers in Glasgow that are willing to shave a few millimetres off for me to bring the strings closer to the body.

I've bought some nice japanese-made necks (& bodies) from [url="http://www.brandoniguitars.co.uk"]Brandoni[/url] in Wembley. I would definitely see if they had what I wanted next time I need a neck. The quality of the these is very good. They were about £100 each & are very similar to Fender MIJ parts.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='557562' date='Aug 1 2009, 06:09 AM']I've bought some nice japanese-made necks (& bodies) from [url="http://www.brandoniguitars.co.uk"]Brandoni[/url] in Wembley. I would definitely see if they had what I wanted next time I need a neck. The quality of the these is very good. They were about £100 each & are very similar to Fender MIJ parts.[/quote]

cool nom de forum

:)