Why become a member? ×

LH 500

buff

My old peavey head has started playing up, so i was thinking of getting a lh500. I know they've been out a while now so now the dust has settled, do the people who are using them rate them over amp twice the price ???

Edited by buff

[quote name='buff' post='546185' date='Jul 21 2009, 11:21 AM']My old peavey head has started playing up, so i was thinking of getting a lh500. I know theyve been out a while now so now the dust has settled, do the people who are using them rate them over amp twice the price ???[/quote]

I'd say my son's LH500 is an excellent piece of kit especially at the price we paid (before they skyrocketed). Its still very good value for money.

[b]Downsides are:-[/b]

Its a bit hissy.

It has jack speaker outs (WTF!!!).

The eq section although very musical is a tad differnt from what you are probably used to.

Its not a featherweight amp

Price went thru the roof

[b]Upsides are:-[/b]

Its REALLY LOUD

Great tone

Really musical EQ section

Its not really heavy.

Its not stupidly expensive still, just not the amazing deal it once was.

It is not IMO as good as my MB sa450

Edited by 51m0n

There always a bit of hiss of it. Its nothing to do with anything plugged in.

Some amp designs are a bit hissy IME. Its not gonna be an issue at all at a gig. Doubt it would even be much of an issue recording.

Note this is plugged into a pair of Berg HT series cabs (reknowned for having probably the best tweeters ever put into a bass cab and custom crossovers, so if there is any hiss we hear it :))

The sa450 is quiet as the grave in comparison.

LH500? Cracking amp for the money (even the new less cheap money!)

Yes, on it's own it's slightly hissy but I've NEVER noticed at a gig. overall, the LH500 has power to spare, a basic tone to die for and you'd be hard pushed to ruin your sound with the EQ (read that as it's very musical, not that it's limited). It's essentially the same preamp as in the old Trace V-Type heads (and before that the Fender Dual Showman I believe?) though I'd say the Harke has a more agressive EQ section and as such it's more "tweakable".

Well worth a look IMO.

Oh, and it you want speakons, get the LH1000 and have LOADS of power to spare:)

[quote name='51m0n' post='546267' date='Jul 21 2009, 12:14 PM']Some amp designs are a bit hissy IME. Its not gonna be an issue at all at a gig. Doubt it would even be much of an issue recording.[/quote]

I have the LH1000. I can't hear the hiss at all in a gig situation or band practice. I've recently recorded with it too and couldn't hear it. You can only hear it when you are by yourself in a quiet room.

[quote]get the LH1000 and have LOADS of power to spare[/quote]

yeah do that! :)

I've never noticed any hiss from my LH500.

As others have said the EQ is a bit limited (but it works well), apart from that there's not a lot wrong with it. Sounds good at band volumes, certainly has no problem reaching band volumes! Actually one minor beef would be that there's just a volume control and no preamp gain control, which can be a slight issue because a tiny turn of the knob on a 500W amp can mean a large increase.

[quote name='buff' post='547422' date='Jul 22 2009, 11:21 AM']So volume wise would the lh1000 be an overkill in a band practice situation ?[/quote]

No, it has a volume knob!

It's also very nicely compatible with my favourite cab. :)

Bear in mind that it's quite a bit heavier than the LH500 so unless you have a particularly potent cab that can truly handle the extra power when you want to go super-loud then you'll be carrying that extra weight to no avail.

Alex

[quote name='buff' post='547490' date='Jul 22 2009, 12:45 PM']Read somewhere that the volume nob was a bit of a sod to get right (sounds dumb i know) person reconned it could do with 2 volume control's.[/quote]

That was post 8 in this very same thread. I can see where they are coming from - sometimes when I want my LH500 very quiet for an acoustic rehearsal, I have to do a bit of "safe cracking" in the 0-1 range, but it's a very minor gripe. I don't think it needs a gain knob.

S.P.

Another point to make about the volume control - you have AT LEAST two other volume controls in your rig already:

1) on your bass
and, more importantly,
2) your fingers.

So it's bullsh*t to say that there's not enough control :)

[quote name='buff' post='548843' date='Jul 23 2009, 12:56 PM']And a sansamp makes it 4 :) although if the amp is that great it shouldnt need it.[/quote]
My Sansamp is used purely for giving our FoH the sound I want. I haven't used it as an "extra" preamp for my onstage sound since I have the Trace 12 band head: make of that what you will I guess...

• 2 weeks later...

Used mine in anger for the first time at a gig last night. Great tone and power through my 4x10. Best bass sound I've had in a long while, actually. Didn't have to do much tweaking to get it either - just boosted the treble a bit. Made the floor rumble and my trousers flap, which is all good.

Only downside is that in a rack, it is a heavy bugger.

[quote name='Merton' post='548834' date='Jul 23 2009, 12:50 PM']Another point to make about the volume control - you have AT LEAST two other volume controls in your rig already:

1) on your bass
and, more importantly,
2) your fingers.

So it's bullsh*t to say that there's not enough control :rolleyes:[/quote]

Why even have an output volume then? I have tone controls on my bass, does that make the amp EQ redundant? :)

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='558665' date='Aug 2 2009, 06:53 PM']Used mine in anger for the first time at a gig last night. Great tone and power through my 4x10. Best bass sound I've had in a long while, actually. Didn't have to do much tweaking to get it either - just boosted the treble a bit. Made the floor rumble and my trousers flap, which is all good.

Only downside is that in a rack, it is a heavy bugger.[/quote]

Glad you like!

[quote name='Protium' post='558679' date='Aug 2 2009, 07:17 PM']Why even have an output volume then? I have tone controls on my bass, does that make the amp EQ redundant? :)[/quote]

Yeah, maybe the amp should just be one 500W power amp with no controls at all save for a power switch. Lovely! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Merton' post='559138' date='Aug 3 2009, 12:43 PM']Glad you like!

Yeah, maybe the amp should just be one 500W power amp with no controls at all save for a power switch. Lovely! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Haha why even have a power switch when you can just turn the bass volume to zero :)