Why become a member? ×

Clover Slapper 5 graphite headless

whynot

DR strings reportedly fit basses with scale lengths up to 37", as long as they're not strung through body.
I'm curious too, I've seen that same bass on leftybass.com you're probably speaking of. I'm not actually interested in buying it, just curious.

Thanks hubrad.
I know Clover still sell the double end strings for this, plus can use conventional extra long strings. Don't really want to order the Clovers in case not that great.
I had one of these briefly about 20 years ago and was a 34" which they didn't normally produce unless special order.

[quote name='LeftyJ' post='545375' date='Jul 20 2009, 03:22 PM']I've seen that same bass on leftybass.com you're probably speaking of[/quote]
Yes thats the one. Knew what is was as soon as I saw it. Seller assures me the neck structure is fine and close up photos suggest ok although cosmetically needs a little work. Got it for a very good price so will see how it goes.
The is not much info on these basses as Clover stopped production some time ago but soundwise there is a clip of Kai Eckhardt using the same model on You Tube that gives you an idea.

[quote name='whynot' post='546546' date='Jul 21 2009, 02:53 PM']The is not much info on these basses as Clover stopped production some time ago but soundwise there is a clip of Kai Eckhardt using the same model on You Tube that gives you an idea.[/quote]

And quite frankly, they sound absolutely amazing!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsuYOg-KS3A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsuYOg-KS3A[/url]

Not just due to Kai's immense talents, he is a fantastic player! If I'm honest I wish he still played his Schack and Clover basses - or at least got more use from his Modulus Quantum!

Edited by Chris2112

[quote name='whynot' post='546546' date='Jul 21 2009, 03:53 PM']Yes thats the one. Knew what is was as soon as I saw it. Seller assures me the neck structure is fine and close up photos suggest ok although cosmetically needs a little work. Got it for a very good price so will see how it goes.[/quote]

So what's up with the preamp? I tried to contact the seller too when I saw the ad, but never got a reply. I was wondering why he states it needs replacement.

• 3 weeks later...

Bass arrived today and very pleased with it so thought I'd share some photos as taken by the seller.
The pictures don't really do it justice and is in better condition than I expected although there are some hairline cracks in the gloss finish around the body but nothing to worry about from a playing perspective.
The preamp seems fine at the moment so don't know what the issue with it is that the seller mentioned. Will have to get it checked out before gigging.
Was a little concerned about being 36" scale but so easy to play. Those lower notes have a real kick.
Neck and frets seem fine with hardly any marks.
Capable of very low action with minimal fretbuzz.
Came fitted with 15 year old double ball end strings but will order some single ball end extra longs in the next couple of days as can use these. Any suggestions of what to try for a 36" scale thats any different to those already mentioned let me know. Will be looking for approx 40 60 80 100 125 gauge.
In the end the total price came to £340 including shipping + case so pretty pleased with that.

[quote name='LeftyJ' post='565463' date='Aug 10 2009, 10:03 PM']If you ever decide to part with it... :)[/quote]
Will be offered to Basschaters first as with all my gear, but can't imagine letting this go for sometime.
Interestingly the string issue is no longer an issue. Was in the garage earlier and checking the length of various old dead strings and in most cases standard size single ball ends will fit. Seems there is just enough extra string to cover the additional 2 inches of scale and cutting just after the nut.
Also the preamp cut out so this is to do with the issue metioned by the seller. Switching to passive mode the Barts produce a really nice tone with the graphite so I'm gigging it like that for this weekend. The jazz on hand just in case.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

My name is John.
From the Netherlands.
I've owned several Status basses en 2 Clover Slapper Giant 5 basses.
A few years ago I sold my first Slapper.
Now This is my other Slapper.
I had the Status Black beauty kingbass and a Status Series II classic NT 5 string.
But this Clover is better.
Never understood why these basses never took off like status.
This bass has both a quited maple top and back and I think the center part is mahogany.
Here are some pics.

:)

• 8 months later...

Hi there
My name is Billy and I live in Greece.
I have one of these basses, since tte early '90s.
It is the one in my avatar. I bought it from a store in Thessaloniki, it was insanly expensive, I paid something like 3000 € which was a really big amount of money at the time. The basses serial # is 117. Sounds grate even now. I have changed the preamp to a Seymour Duncan bassline, and I have tried quite a few different preamps on it, including EMG, Aguilar and some more.
Pickups are changed to S.Duncan basslines soapbars as well, more defined highs there, more suitable to my taste.
At the present time I have a pair of Jazz bass singles on, plenty of fun :)
I say that for 340 quid this was a steal , not a deal. Lucky you.
I have tried other graphite neck basses but this one sounds better than any IMHO.
Most of recording engineers i worked with, agree in that point. The open B string is a jaw dropper.
I wish you many years of happy playing with this fine instrument.

• 10 years later...

Here is my new to me Beelzebub. Number 020 (Amsterdam’s area code).

864241B0-A6E0-4D61-A2E3-1293F8D930D7.thumb.jpeg.0efcfa66707f4b922be0dc99690a0ac2.jpeg

What a stunning instrument, and a breeze to play due to the slim carbon fiber neck and ultra light weight.

It needs some small work, and it looks like the head piece and eq part of the pre-amp was replaced.

• Like 2