Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Lexicon MPX G2 and MPX R1 preamp/effects processor

R,5,R,5...

SOLD -- Thanks GremlinAndy!

While I'm at this, by way of feedback, shame on kjb who 'bought it' and promptly disappeared, after making me hold on to it for a week. I am instead grateful to Andy for waiting and for a tip-top transaction. Ahh, if they were all like him!

Edited by R,5,R,5...

• 2 weeks later...

Well done Andy! I have one of these and they're the dog proverbials. As much as GAS tempts me, I can't find anything better out there. This unit can do nearly anything.

[quote name='R,5,R,5...' post='57667' date='Sep 9 2007, 11:10 AM']While I'm at this, by way of feedback, shame on kjb who 'bought it' and promptly disappeared, after making me hold on to it for a week.[/quote]
Sounds VERY familiar to me. :)

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='64209' date='Sep 22 2007, 10:11 PM']They're great things aren't they, you only need listen to a Steve Lawson album for an insight into what they can do.[/quote]
Yeah he recommended it to me during one of our chats.

I thought that thing was a Guitar_oriented machine

I would like to know what Is so good for bass guitar in that one (comp section,effects or whatever)

i 've always disliked DIgital_all_in_one solutions ,finding those tone-destroyng.

If someone has a tip,or a link to a discussion (BASS related) about this piece of gear, i would be very glad to check!

You can start here:

[url="http://www.stevelawson.net/interact/viewtopic.php?t=533"]http://www.stevelawson.net/interact/viewtopic.php?t=533[/url]

[url="http://www.stevelawson.net/interact/viewtopic.php?t=405&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0"]http://www.stevelawson.net/interact/viewto...asc&start=0[/url]

I'm sure that CK will have more to say about it though.

Edited by R,5,R,5...

[quote name='alexlotta' post='65286' date='Sep 25 2007, 12:58 PM']I thought that thing was a Guitar_oriented machine

I would like to know what Is so good for bass guitar in that one (comp section,effects or whatever)

i 've always disliked DIgital_all_in_one solutions ,finding those tone-destroyng.[/quote]
It was designed for guitar but its frequency response is as good as any studio effects unit so it suits bass too. You can set it up either to have dedicated patches per song, or set up a patch as a bank of effects which can be switched on and off at will using the footswitch. It also has a range of both modern and vintage effect simulations, speaker sim, noise gate etc. and you can order/patch the effects in any number of ways so that feedback from one will influence a setting on another. Its a bit of a swiss army knife with the footswitch. The only things I would say against it is the lack of processing power does impose limits.

Alternatively, the TC Electronic G-Force is a close rival and if you want dedicated bass effects, Ped speaks highly of the Bass Pod XT.

Arrived today.
Will get the cheque for postage in the post tomorrow morning since I missed the post today. (...or will have by the time I get home to my cheque book).

Thanks.

I have a bass pod pro xt, I don't like it.

..well, erm it's ok but I'm hoping the Lexicon is easier to use live than the totally unusable (maybe I'm thick) Bass pod. The bass pod seems to have so many differing sounds, almost none of which are to my liking.

Maybe I won't like the Lexicon either. Fussy bugger.

I've seen Steve Lawson use his, he gets some great sounds from it....but from what I hear they aren't very easy to program, but once you have then there's no looking back.

Did this come with the floor unit as well ?.

I've been using a TC M-one XL for the last few months which I really like, I'm not too good at programming things, or adjusting parameters, I find the M-one to be a plug in and play thing.

I'd definately like to try a G2 though, the reverbs are meant to be class.

It took me about 6 months as a complete rack-effects-virgin simply to come to terms with what its capable of. If you like wild and whacky, there's loads of potential for you to blow speakers :) I think what is most interesting about this unit is that it doesn't obstruct your creativity once you can visualise how things can potentially hook up inside it. Thats why the processing power and (according to Steve) lack of user patches is a bit of a bummer.

The most complicated effect I've set up so far is an Akai Unibass type effect but with multitap delay and chorus added to the pitchshifted signal. I've resisted hooking up the effects to one another in weird ways because there are so many options that it would take too long to find something useable and the band I'm in at the moment doesn't have that kind of requirement anyway.

I'd quite like to do an effect where the delayed signal is subjected to a very severe noise gate to make the echoes choppy, then I could add effects like phaser or an over feedbacked, unstable sounding chorus

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='65507' date='Sep 25 2007, 08:01 PM']I'd quite like to do an effect where the delayed signal is subjected to a very severe noise gate to make the echoes choppy, then I could add effects like phaser or an over feedbacked, unstable sounding chorus[/quote]

And then the world shall be MINE! MINE, I tell you! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='65445' date='Sep 25 2007, 05:32 PM']Arrived today.
Will get the cheque for postage in the post tomorrow morning since I missed the post today. (...or will have by the time I get home to my cheque book).

Thanks.
I have a bass pod pro xt, I don't like it.

..well, erm it's ok but I'm hoping the Lexicon is easier to use live than the totally unusable (maybe I'm thick) Bass pod. The bass pod seems to have so many differing sounds, almost none of which are to my liking.
Maybe I won't like the Lexicon either. Fussy bugger.[/quote]

Thanks Andy! And good luck with it. I suggest you make yourself a nice cup of cocoa and spend a few quality hours with the manual.

Thank You Guys For the info! :) .

I was wondering about compression stage since i would need a good one.
and How that one compares to other compression rack or pedals.
and havong more effects would be a nice bonus,Though is years th. i don experiment with effects .
------------------------------------------------------------------
About pod:

I have bass pod first version,which i like more than Xt.
AND Anyway don like so much the sound.
I've Used Mainly (and USEFULLY) as a DI on medium/big stages ,Doubling the signal ,1 From my own rig on stage With effect/EQ (bass knife sounding but just on stage)
and the not_effected_1 going to the mixers Guys

That's why i had noticed th. My rack/rig became less important , and more important was Hearing myself..
(live mixers/mixer guys mess Your sound almost always in big stages,so better feed them with clarity more than giving them "Your sound" to adjust)

A compromise i had to do due to the kind of music i was playing back there.
again ,Many thanks

There are two standard 'vintage' compressors modelled after the red and blue MXR pedals I believe. They're a little leaden sounding although the blue sounds good for slap. You can programme in your own compressor settings to whatever degree you like. Might be fun to see if you can create a version of Trace's dual compressor using the crossover?

Like Paul suggests, if you're going to have it on all the time, its worth getting a separate compressor as it will only suck up the processing power unnecessarily.

Obviously I love mine - I own two of them, and given the spare cash I'd get a third as a spare, given that they aren't made any more.

Getting a handle on the architecture and routing is the key - once, as CK says, you understand some of what's possible, you can start to apply your imagination to the task at hand. I've created quite a few mad sounds that have become 'signature' sounds of mine, from tremolo patches that can sound like a Fender Rhodes to mad ebow sounds with regenerating delays with different things coming out of each side of the stereo field.

FWIW, I don't use a full foot controller with it - I've got a little crappy 2-button Lexicon footswitch and an expression pedal that plug into the foot switch and foot pedal sockets on the back, and I do all my patch changing by hand. When I first got the G2, I had the floor unit with it, but it was just way too big and heavy for me to make use of. At some point, I may programme some stuff into my Rolls MIDI Wizard, that I use to control the looperlative, but could have transmitting on more than one channel at a time, but for now, the way I've got it works great.

I think it's the best multi-FX unit I've ever tried - the only thing on the market at the moment that I could imagine coming close is the Eventide Eclipse (the other Eventides fail for being 2U rackmounts, which is just too big for me to fly with...) - I'd quite like to have an Eclipse to run in conjuction with it... :)

If you want to hear some of what it will do ANY recording you'll ever hear of me, except the album 'Conversations' was recorded with the G2 - so head over to [url="http://www.last.fm/music/steve+lawson"]http://www.last.fm/music/steve+lawson[/url] or do a search on youtube or itunes, or go to the mp3s page at my website, and it's going to be chock-full of G2 noises. :huh:

Steve
www.stevelawson.net

[quote name='Steve Lawson' post='66214' date='Sep 26 2007, 11:58 PM']I think it's the best multi-FX unit I've ever tried - the only thing on the market at the moment that I could imagine coming close is the Eventide Eclipse (the other Eventides fail for being 2U rackmounts, which is just too big for me to fly with...) - I'd quite like to have an Eclipse to run in conjuction with it... :)
Steve
www.stevelawson.net[/quote]

I agree that I am mopstly put off with 2u effects units. My personal favourite is the TC Electronics GForce, that thankfully is still being made after a good few years. Much like the Eventide and Lexxie, it is an absolute monster and does require a short amount of time to familiarise yourself with even a small amount of what it is capable of.

• 1 year later...

Well... After I received this thing I didn't really use it for a while. However when I did, I had difficulty getting it to boot properly. It "failed" 3 out of every 4 attempts...
So after getting back in touch with the seller, he said he'd not had any bother with it (hmmmm). I sent it off to Harman which cost a fortune in shipping, PLUS they said they'd fixed the fault and sent it back with a £100+ charge. I used it twice and then it failed to boot again (intermittently) This got worse over the next couple of weeks, as I attempted to practice in the house with it until just recently. And now it is just refusing to boot at all... I have *loved* some of the great effects in there, but this has been "the most expensive gear that has gone kaput on me without me hardly using it " I've ever had.
I even bought an R1 foot controller for it which is now surplus... In total that's over £500 in the frikkin bin. Gutted.

And yet ironically, I would replace it with another in a heartbeat...

Unless someone knows of a more up to date machine which surpasses this?

Please help me fill the void.