Why become a member? ×

Long Lasting strings

6h5g

I know it's all down to the player, but IMO no strings last any longer unless they're coated ones, which are going to be more than twenty quid a set. D'Addario Pro Steels are [i]super[/i] bright, and so appear to last longer. But it depends if you can stand them so bright in first place.

See the thread about boiling strings, where meths for cleaning them is a useful tip.

[quote name='6h5g' post='537942' date='Jul 11 2009, 03:48 PM']Could anyone recommend a set of long lasting roundwound strings that cost around £20ish?[/quote]

I will recommend Italian made GALLI strings. Been using them for a few years now. The rep said to try a set and they went a good 25 gigs, maybe more before I thought I should change them.
Of course, I may have upped the treble on the amp a bit for certain gigs as they got older but they do sound very good on my fretless and fretted basses.

Just gone through this dilemma myself and finally took the plunge and went for a set of Elixir strings which I bought from Stringbusters and I think they were about £28. Do have to say that they are fantastic I have played three gigs and 4 or 5 rehearsals and they are still lovely and bright sounding.

Now I would agree with other comments on this thread that they are not quite a bright as non coated strings when you first put them on the bass but the slight zing that you do get just seems to last forever. I have been really impressed with these strings and will be using them on both basses now and would readily recommend them to all.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='537976' date='Jul 11 2009, 04:50 PM']I know it's all down to the player, but IMO no strings last any longer unless they're coated ones, which are going to be more than twenty quid a set. D'Addario Pro Steels are [i]super[/i] bright, and so appear to last longer. But it depends if you can stand them so bright in first place.

See the thread about boiling strings, where meths for cleaning them is a useful tip.[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='538346' date='Jul 12 2009, 11:07 AM']Elixir strings...are fantastic[/quote]

+1. I've tried a number of different brands over the years but have always reverted back to Elixirs. The tone is consistent, and they have a smooth, finger-friendly feel that you just don't get with some other brands.

That is a very good point too - yesterday I played two gigs with two bands using the bass with Elixirs on and no problems at all with my fingers today, check out the link below to see what my fingers looked like after the same two sets with the same bands at a jazz festival in May!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=50014&hl=blisters"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...amp;hl=blisters[/url]

So yes agree that the coated strings are definitely easier on your fingers!

[quote name='acidbass' post='538558' date='Jul 12 2009, 03:34 PM']+1. I've tried a number of different brands over the years but have always reverted back to Elixirs. The tone is consistent, and they have a smooth, finger-friendly feel that you just don't get with some other brands.[/quote]