Why become a member? ×

For Sale: MIA 1996 Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass

Dosi Y'Anarchy

Hello!

**EDIT**
This thread started as a feeler in july 2009. I wasnt 100% on selling it then, and im still not now really. Its my first real bass and still plays and sounds like a dream. I used it extensively with my first band and for years it was my only bass.

Having said that, there is a nasty chunk taken out of the paintwork on the horn (as seen in the pics below), its got its fair share of dings too and some buckle rash on the back and the input jack is a little temperamental (should be a simple fix, but i dont want to start screwing with it). The back of the neck has little dings to them (honestly not sure where they even came from) but are pretty shallow.

To me, no other jazz bass has ever felt as nice in my hands, but that could be because i spent my formative bass playing years spanking on this.

I feel like im making a mistake if i do sell this, but i'm only using my '86 modded p-bass now and this hasnt seen a gig or a practice in a long time (did record my bands album with it though).

[b]I guess im looking for *around* the £700 mark, the bass comes with its original hard case too. its a bit knackered and one of the clasps has broken off. Postage to UK is included in the price.[/b]

If you feel the price is unrealistic, thats fine. I'm not desparate to sell, but I REALLY want a tube amp (Matamp, Orange, Hiwatt) and £700 will get me alot closer to it.

thanks

Theo

Edited by Dosi Y'Anarchy

[quote name='jsixties' post='533344' date='Jul 5 2009, 09:42 PM']It's a common (but beautiful) Deluxe JB with some dings, not really a rare find. Don't you think so?[/quote]

well im not [i]really[/i] touting it as a rarity. I do see dlx jazzes for sale, but alot of them are MIM or American series, and I wasnt too sure where this fits in

its almost exactly like this one:
[url="http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0136760341"]http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0136760341[/url]

but i can see the grain through mine, and I can string through the body, and i've got different pickups.

Well I got enogh info on the bass to know that I probably shouldnt sell it, ever.

from flipper_GV (on Talkbass)
[i]It's a true American deluxe jazz bass. They made some changes through the years (P/u's and elec went from Suhr (yours) to special noiseless pickups with fender 9V pre to SCN pickups with 18V pre, tuners went with lightweight tuner as of 98 as well as abalone inlays, 5 bolt neck joint in 2004 (not sure here)).

Most people think your era is the best fender produced. So, if I'd be you, I'd keep it, since they are pretty hard to find for a fender production model.[/i]

from Pyrohr (on talkbass)
[i]The early DLX jazzes 1995-98 had electronics and pups designed by John Suhr who happens to post here occasionally. He worked for Fender R&D at that time and added his input for that bass. When I owned that bass I also owned other DLX jazzes with two being 18v pre's and I can tell you the extra 9 volts was not missed! It had a pretty "clean" sound with usable boost at all frequencies. At that time that bass was string through the body and bridge, the standard MIA bass was STB only! I personal didn't care for the DLX jazz when they switched to the "noiseless" pups as it sounded sterile and dry to me.[/i]

from Jeff K (on Talkbass)
[i]Even though your S/N indicates it to be a '95, I think it's actually a '96 because of the anniversary medallion on the back of the headstock. Sometimes basses actually issued in the new year have the previous year's S/N. For example, when Fender came out with the newly updated American Standards in 2008, some of the first ones to come out actually showed a "Z7..." S/N rather than "Z8..." I'm pretty sure the medallion was on the back of the headstock for the '96's. So I'm thinking yours is an early '96.

As for the bass itself, the color is called "Vintage Blonde". I've always loved it. The only thing I never liked about them was what I considered to be a "cheap-looking" tort p/g that Fender used for a few years. It's more black & red, and doesn't look as "traditional" as the older or newer torts. The body IS slightly downsized. Tons of tonal possibilities. I wouldn't be too quick to get rid of it unless you just don't like it. Because it is an active bass, don't forget to change your battery from time to time.[/i]

so basically unless someone wants to make me an offer i cant refuse, I think i'll take this one to the grave. Probably means i might have to sell my Active MIM P-bass Special

• 6 months later...

well thats a tough thing to say - its now had quite a big chip of the paint taken off the upper horn when my empty metal CD rack fell on in (my fault for not keeping it in a hard case)

Its had its fair share of dings and the input jack can be a little temperamental. However the current closest model at the moment seems to be the American Deluxe Jazz bass (which is what this model became a year or two after this bass was made) which'd set you back over a grand (brand new) and this has some features that some may feel are better than ones on the current models (ie: suhr pickups) and some that people might feel arent as good (the body has tops and backs to cover the less beautiful wood that comprises the majority of the bass, the American Deluxe series uses solid wood rather than tops).

I've got GAS for either a passive Pbass, passive P/J or someone who'll professionally install a P-pickup in my MIM 70sRI jazz (my gigging bass)

cashwise, i wouldnt even know where to start. Consensus seems to be that i'd regret it if i sold it.

if someone could give me around the £700 mark then i'd probably be happy, but realsistically i dont think anyone will and im not dying to sell it.

Edited by Dosi Y'Anarchy

Hi there. I bought one of these new in '96, a colour called Teal Green. Did not look anything as nice as that.
I paid £860 for it new , at Music Ground in Doncaster. I remember it well as it was the 1st bass I bought that broke the £500 barrier.
Lovely bass to play, light, fast, slim, slightly smaller body.Having used passives for 20 years by then, I guess I wasn't used to the treble that an active brought.
I sold mine quite quickly and returned to using my '74 Jazz.
Having said that, if it had looked as gorgeous as that one I might have tried to live with active a little longer.
Good luck with the sale, it really is a cracking bass.
Cheers,
Karl.

thanks karl,

This was my first real bass, i had a knackered old SD Curlee that i bought to learn on, but as soon as i got this i kicked it to the curb. Its a very hi-fi sounding bass to my ears, which is why i now also have a 70s RI.

I panic with actives alot. Is the battery running out? is the imedance gonna make my effects sound like ass? My ideal bass would be a jazz bass with a p-bass pickup between j-pups and a switch to go from Jazz to Precision and a tone control. No batteries, no EQ, no series/parrallel. pretty much the Fender Urge II without the eq.

the jazz has been with me prettymuch since i started playing, so it has quite a lot of sentimental value even if it doesnt get the love it deserves these days

yep, just counted 'em - 22 frets. Took the flats I had on off (and put them on my DiPinto) and put some old rounds on there.

I've just had a quote for £300 for a p-bass pickup to be added to me 70s RI jazz. Not sure whether to go with it or just buy a p-bass and add my 70s RI neck.

truly i might accept offers/PX for a passive P/PJ - but i just plugged the DLX in and its sounding pretty sweet so im even more reluctant to sell it now. *might* consider selling the 70s RI or my DiPinto, but thats pretty unlikely as the Di Pinto (hollowboddied Belevedere Deluxe with Flats) is so totally different to the other two basses and makes the most sense keeping and I love my 70s RI.
[b]
If anyone's actually interrested let me know, but as i said, the dlx does have a few issues and this still remains a feeler and im not decided on selling it, and if it did it would be against the better judgement of friends and family[/b]. I've also now taken some of the gloss off the back of the neck with a light sandpapering - it feels nicer to me now and the dings arent as noticable now.

Heres some pics of the new ding - As you can see i've taken the strap knob off at the moment and only have 3 rounds on there at the moment but have just got a new pack of rotosounds that im putting on there.

Edited by Dosi Y'Anarchy

• 10 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi,
where in London are you based? I'm from Austria but will be in London next weekend, so could come round and try it out.
what's the weight of this bass by the way?
these deluxe tuners are usually pretty heavy.... is the bass well balanced, any neck dive?
thanks

Hey, I'm just outside london in Northwood Hills, Middlesex (its on the Metropolitan Line of the London Underground Tube System). Ill have to weigh the bass as its currently at my parents and there is some neck dive partiallly due to the fact that the series of deluxes that mine is part of have the smaller bodies but im sure that the tuners not help. Its never really been a problem for me.