Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky Outboard Pre Amp Opinions

ezbass

For some reason I seem to be having Sadowsky GAS just recently (probably 'cos they're the dogs dangly bits) but no way can I afford one right now. So as I mainly use passive P basses I'm thinking Sad's little black box maybe the way to go to sate my cravings. So if you've got one, or had one, what has been you experience and your opinon of them? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I got one for the same reasons you did.
Apart from there only being a Gain, Bass & Treble controls is a lovely sounding unit and would highly recommend it.
With a bit of tweaking you can get some great sounds going. I've done loads of gigs and recording with mine and it's solid as a rock.

Cheers,
Jon

[quote name='Marcus' post='533322' date='Jul 5 2009, 09:09 PM']Ever noticed you don't get many up for sale ?

Great to add some modern active sounds to a passive Fender for example....... but for me it's the quality of the DI that really shines[/quote]

My old & new passive J-basses sound awesome through this preamp....would never sell it!

Also, IMHO, it leaves the Sansamp for dead tonewise.

The only other preamp that is comparable in terms of sound quality and simplicity (at least out of those I've tested) is the Aguilar Tone Hammer - also quite expensive but probably worth the ££.

Cheers

I had the original, really simple version. Sold it a few months ago (to DuneTuneJazz) because I wasn't using it enough.

Nice, very distinctive sound. Nothing (much) to go wrong.

One oddity was that the "default" setting according to the manual was All-up, i.e. everything to max, the idea being that you changed your sound by rolling [b][i]off [/i][/b]the knobs as required.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='534775' date='Jul 7 2009, 03:22 PM']I was going to buy one when I went to the Sadowsky workshop in Brooklyn last year[/quote]

I'm super jealous!! Nice work.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='534615' date='Jul 7 2009, 01:00 PM']One oddity was that the "default" setting according to the manual was All-up, i.e. everything to max, the idea being that you changed your sound by rolling [b][i]off [/i][/b]the knobs as required.[/quote]

It's generally considered better to cut rather than boost, when you're talking about EQ.

[quote name='ezbass' post='534822' date='Jul 7 2009, 03:46 PM']I'm super jealous!! Nice work.[/quote]

It's got to be done if you're in NYC. Just a stroll over the Brooklyn Bridge into DUMBO and you're there.

Roger Sadowsky was ultra-nice. Answered all my stupid questions and let me noodle ineptly on a selection of basses for a good 90 minutes with no pressure at all.

Is the pre-amp in the basses the same as the one in the pedal? I was under the impression it was, which is strange because I was told that for most adjustments I shouldn't be turning and of the tone controls up past a third. Anyway according to my ears all the Sadowsky basses sounded plenty good enough passive not to need any pre-amp help.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='cheddatom' post='534950' date='Jul 7 2009, 05:43 PM']It's generally considered better to cut rather than boost, when you're talking about EQ.[/quote]

Understood, but it's still weird when you're confronted with a box that doesn't just talk the talk, it walks the walk. :)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='534615' date='Jul 7 2009, 02:00 PM']I had the original, really simple version. Sold it a few months ago (to DuneTuneJazz) because I wasn't using it enough.

Nice, very distinctive sound. Nothing (much) to go wrong.

One oddity was that the "default" setting according to the manual was All-up, i.e. everything to max, the idea being that you changed your sound by rolling [b][i]off [/i][/b]the knobs as required.[/quote]

I remember the manual said to put the volume at max and the eq at minimum as starting setting. From there, if more "room" is needed, boost the eq..