Why become a member? ×

FINISHED - ACG Ebony/Wenge/Flame Sycamore build

deksawyer

I had a really good look at this when I was up at Alan's last weekend speccing up more ACGs for myself.

At first I couldn't believe my eyes (see, I've owned Lazarus since Alan resurrected it) but then clearly it's a recurve SC shape and, most obviously, left handed. It looks great, it really does, and I'm sure you're going to be absolutely thrilled by it.

Latest updates - pickup cavities routed, next on the list is fret finishing, final sanding and then the application of the lacquer/oil or whatever it is Alan uses.

To say I'm excited is a gross understatement!!

D.

Edited by deksawyer

• 4 weeks later...

I spoke to Alan yesterday and he's looking to get the bass finished by Tue next week (my birthday as it happens).

The Elixir strings I sent him are too short - only the inner winding is passing through the nut. I must need XL scale strings to fit the 35" scale. Anyone know?

He was also wrestling with a pickup that wasn't doing what it's supposed to do.....

No photos yet, but there will be loads when I actually pick it up - I just need someone to give me a lift down to Moffat as I don't drive!

cheers

D.

[quote name='deksawyer' post='855867' date='Jun 3 2010, 11:20 AM']I spoke to Alan yesterday and he's looking to get the bass finished by Tue next week (my birthday as it happens).

The Elixir strings I sent him are too short - only the inner winding is passing through the nut. I must need XL scale strings to fit the 35" scale. Anyone know?

He was also wrestling with a pickup that wasn't doing what it's supposed to do.....

No photos yet, but there will be loads when I actually pick it up - I just need someone to give me a lift down to Moffat as I don't drive!

cheers

D.[/quote]

Exiting times mate!
I'm afraid you're right about the strings.
Some "regular" strings will fit a 35" scale fine, but most larger manufacturers make XL strings now for that kind of application.
I believe all DRs are OK on 35"ers, can't comment on Elixirs though I'm afraid.

Good luck!

Eude

[quote name='deksawyer' post='855867' date='Jun 3 2010, 11:20 AM']The Elixir strings I sent him are too short - only the inner winding is passing through the nut. I must need XL scale strings to fit the 35" scale. Anyone know?[/quote]
Check out [url="http://www.elixirstrings.com/products/product_bass.html"]the Elixir website[/url]. They do a 4-string set in extra-long scale (45-105, product code 14087), and then you'd have to separately buy the only extra-long B they do (130 taperwound, product code 15433).

As to whether anyone actually has these in stock... dunno. :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='855923' date='Jun 3 2010, 11:49 AM']Check out [url="http://www.elixirstrings.com/products/product_bass.html"]the Elixir website[/url]. They do a 4-string set in extra-long scale (45-105, product code 14087), and then you'd have to separately buy the only extra-long B they do (130 taperwound, product code 15433).

As to whether anyone actually has these in stock... dunno. :)[/quote]

Yeah, I spotted them yesterday. I work in music retail so I'll ask one of the Elixir reps when they're next in....

cheers

D.

That's a very classy looking bass and I know from 1st hand experience that the product will even exceed it's looks in terms of build quality, tone and playability.

I don't think the rear looks better, just different.

Welcome to the wonderful world of ACG but just don't tell everyone :)

Peter

Not long through the door after picking up the bass. Had a wee shot at Alan's place and actually couldn't play it very well as I've never played (not seriously anyway) or owned a 5 string before.

The bass is amazing. Back home I seem to be getting to grips with it although the flat fingerboard and asymmetrical neck are going to take a few weeks to get used to. The tones are pretty damn good though and I may seriously be able to retire the Wal.

Thanks Alan for a lovely bass and getting it ready for my birthday. Cheers!!

D.

[quote name='deksawyer' post='861694' date='Jun 9 2010, 12:18 AM']Not long through the door after picking up the bass. Had a wee shot at Alan's place and actually couldn't play it very well as I've never played (not seriously anyway) or owned a 5 string before.

The bass is amazing. Back home I seem to be getting to grips with it although the flat fingerboard and asymmetrical neck are going to take a few weeks to get used to. The tones are pretty damn good though and I may seriously be able to retire the Wal.

Thanks Alan for a lovely bass and getting it ready for my birthday. Cheers!!

D.[/quote]

Hey man,
glad to hear you're enjoying the new bass :)
You'll learn to love the flat board and the neck profile, they're actually a lot more sensible for bass necks in particular for 5 and 6 stringers.

Congrats dude, I hope you two are very happy together.

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='862063' date='Jun 9 2010, 01:43 PM']Hey man,
glad to hear you're enjoying the new bass :)
You'll learn to love the flat board and the neck profile, they're actually a lot more sensible for bass necks in particular for 5 and 6 stringers.

Congrats dude, I hope you two are very happy together.

Eude[/quote]

+1 to all that, best fretboard/neck profile I've tried. congratulations mate, enjoy :rolleyes:

To finish off this thread, here's a photo of the bass in the garden.

A big thanks to Alan for building the bass, I really do like it and I'm getting used to the extra string quite quickly. It sounds amazing too - these SIT strings are quite nice!

cheers

D.