Why become a member? ×

Small combos for acoustic rehearsals

Cat Burrito

I own a Roland DB700 which is seriously loud and quite heavy. My band are now doing some acoustic rehearsals and I want to pick up a cheap practice amp that will hold up with 2 acoustics and a bit of percussion. So it doesn't need to be loud, heavy or complicated. It's not for playing live so I am not looking for something that has the best tone, just a no thrills amp. Am I right in thinking 20watts would more than cover it? It has to be new as I need to pick it up today or tomorrow so second hand on these pages is out. I'm looking to spend as little as possible as it's only an acoustic rehearsal amp. Any pointers will be gratefully received. I just want a no thrills package that I can just throw in the car.

[url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?ID=81"]Perfect 10[/url]

I use an Ashdown perfect 10 for acoustic rehearsal. 30 watts and it has power to spare. £80 from Dolphin music I think it was. Bargain !

Edited by Badass

If you don't want to spend much.... take your amp and turn it down! I know it's the heavy option but it saves you the cash and the hassle of finding the right amp! I use an LM2 (300 watts) with my acoustic duo. Works fine on 2!

Edited by chris_b

+1 to the turning your amp down. If the low volumes seem a bit 'weak' try turning your bass down rather than your amp. Should work fine.

Else, just go on eBay and find some cheap bass amps if the sound doesn't need to be too fancy.

I like the Hartke A series, i've got the A70 (70w, 1x12" alu speaker) and it is plenty for practice and quiet gigs. Quite compact and light without being too small, also tilts back

EDIT: These can be had for under £100 as they were only £250 or so new. I've put a low B through the A70 and it sounded great too

Edited by lemmywinks

+1 for keeping the amp volume up and turning the instrument down.

If your band is doing acoustic rehearsals will they be doing acoustic gigs? If so a 20 watt combo isn't enough. You might as well get a good neo 112 and a 300w (at 8 ohm) amp then you'll be good for rehearsals and the gigs.

Ashdown After Eight or Perfect Ten

After Eight is small, approx 12" Cube, very portable and bass actually sounds like a bass
great value for money.

Perfect Ten is a quite a lot bigger but sounds huge but probably too big just for practice.

We have a Efter Eight at home and wouldnt be with out it.

Ade

Thanks for the replies. I tried a couple out today and found that mildy disappointing but wanted to offer some further thoughts;

[quote name='Badass' post='527508' date='Jun 29 2009, 10:41 AM'][url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?ID=81"]Perfect 10[/url]

I use an Ashdown perfect 10 for acoustic rehearsal. 30 watts and it has power to spare. £80 from Dolphin music I think it was. Bargain ![/quote]

I like Ashdown, they sound good on YouTube so [b]could[/b] be a go-er. I need to try one first hand though as YouTube isn't always the best to fully appreciate all tonal aspects.

[quote name='chris_b' post='527563' date='Jun 29 2009, 11:36 AM']If you don't want to spend much.... take your amp and turn it down! I know it's the heavy option but it saves you the cash and the hassle of finding the right amp! I use an LM2 (300 watts) with my acoustic duo. Works fine on 2![/quote]

My first thought BUT with a car full of band members, I want something portable. I keep it down at home but it is a bit of a beast transport wise.

[quote name='chris_b' post='527656' date='Jun 29 2009, 12:41 PM']+1 for keeping the amp volume up and turning the instrument down.

If your band is doing acoustic rehearsals will they be doing acoustic gigs? If so a 20 watt combo isn't enough. You might as well get a good neo 112 and a 300w (at 8 ohm) amp then you'll be good for rehearsals and the gigs.[/quote]

In terms of acoustic performance, I'd just go through the P.A. - every time! Electric wise I have my amp so it really is just a case of something light & portable to kick around with. Got to say the 15w Fender Rumble was especially poor though.

I appreciate the replies though so if anyone has any thoughts they want to share on light portable low watt combos, I'm happy to listen. Cheers, BB

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='527931' date='Jun 29 2009, 05:47 PM']....In terms of acoustic performance, I'd just go through the P.A. - every time! Electric wise I have my amp so it really is just a case of something light & portable to kick around with....[/quote]
Ah OK.

I quite liked a GK Backline 12 that I tried in a shop, but it might be a bit heavy. Roland bass Cube's are always popular as are the Line6 Lowdown's. They might be a little over spec for your needs though!

Anymore thought? Anyone? Surely more people have used a practice combo?

I've been searching the threads and saw a girl raving about a cheap Eden 15W amp & a few people knocking Ashdown (which surprised me actually) but that's about it.

My urgency for this has changed but I will be picking one up slow time now. I have my main amp, I have the PA so it really is just something small for acoustic jams were we don't need to mic the vocals.

Cheers

I occasionally bob round to the singer's house to quietly go through new material in the kitchen! What I found most useful for amplification is to take (from my P.A.) a powered Carlsboro 10" wedge monitor. It's smaller than just about every small practice combo, yet is rated 100w. No EQ mind.