Why become a member? ×

How un-healthy is nitro spray laquer?

attackbass

Is it any worse than other spray paints and aerosols?

Didn't really think too much about it today until I typed it into google and read about it! Apparently it can cause high blood preasure, dizzyness etc....

Me and my dad have done 3 sprays on my jazz body over the last two days, we did it outside under an outside eating/bbq shelter thing, so im assuming ventilation was pretty good. I lightly sanded the first coat, outside with 600 sandpaper so there wasn't hardly any dust, and any that was was on the body which i wiped down with a tack cloth.

People suggest to wear ventilation masks - which is probably a good idea - but is that aimed more towards people who use these sprays day in day out as part of their job?

I am a hypercondriac by nature lol! But im more concerned about effecting my dads health - if it's just me, then it's my own look out!

The body looks sweet tho!!

[quote name='attackbass' post='523198' date='Jun 25 2009, 12:16 AM']Is it any worse than other spray paints and aerosols?

Didn't really think too much about it today until I typed it into google and read about it! Apparently it can cause high blood preasure, dizzyness etc....

Me and my dad have done 3 sprays on my jazz body over the last two days, we did it outside under an outside eating/bbq shelter thing, so im assuming ventilation was pretty good. I lightly sanded the first coat, outside with 600 sandpaper so there wasn't hardly any dust, and any that was was on the body which i wiped down with a tack cloth.

People suggest to wear ventilation masks - which is probably a good idea - but is that aimed more towards people who use these sprays day in day out as part of their job?

I am a hypercondriac by nature lol! But im more concerned about effecting my dads health - if it's just me, then it's my own look out!

The body looks sweet tho!![/quote]

You absolutely must wear a mask, it goes everywhere when you spray it, sand it, dust it. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there. If you can smell it, it's there. It's not good for you - period. Just wear a mask.

[quote name='Mikey R' post='523291' date='Jun 25 2009, 08:53 AM']Just out of interest, what does it say on the can for safety precautions?[/quote]

It says that vapours can cause drowsiness and dizzyness. to spray in a well ventilated area and not to inhale vapour or spray.

I think im going to spray the neck with something different lol - just wish i had realised i needed a mask before just to be on the safe side - then again smoking causes cancer and people smoke and inhale 2nd hand smoke everyday!

It's evil stuff - be very careful! There's a reason why commercial spray painting has to be done in explosion proof booths by law. Wear a PROPER mask, not one of those poxy paper dust masks.

A good tip to help any spray you may ingest get carried through the body is to drink plenty of full fat milk before, during & after your spraying session. Apparently the emulsion (that's what milk is) traps the paint particles & you just sh*t them out rather than painting your insides.

[quote name='RhysP' post='523619' date='Jun 25 2009, 01:44 PM']It's evil stuff - be very careful! There's a reason why commercial spray painting has to be done in explosion proof booths by law. Wear a PROPER mask, not one of those poxy paper dust masks.

A good tip to help any spray you may ingest get carried through the body is to drink plenty of full fat milk before, during & after your spraying session. Apparently the emulsion (that's what milk is) traps the paint particles & you just sh*t them out rather than painting your insides.[/quote]

I keep an S10 for such circumstances. And you look bad ass. (Be careful the neighbours don't call in the terrorist squad though).

[quote name='RhysP' post='523619' date='Jun 25 2009, 02:44 PM']It's evil stuff - be very careful! There's a reason why commercial spray painting has to be done in explosion proof booths by law. Wear a PROPER mask, not one of those poxy paper dust masks.

A good tip to help any spray you may ingest get carried through the body is to drink plenty of full fat milk before, during & after your spraying session. Apparently the emulsion (that's what milk is) traps the paint particles & you just sh*t them out rather than painting your insides.[/quote]

Well said, although milk is meant to reduce the effects the thinners have on your brain, it'll still fry a few brain cells if you don't wear a mask. Polyester type paint as used by most major manufacturers needs to be sprayed in a spray booth, often with an air fed mask as it can do you some serious harm, but if you can buy it in an aerosol over the counter then you're normally reasonably safe, provided you take sensible precautions. Mask. Mask. Mask......

[quote name='henry norton' post='523844' date='Jun 25 2009, 04:42 PM']Well said, although milk is meant to reduce the effects the thinners have on your brain, it'll still fry a few brain cells if you don't wear a mask. Polyester type paint as used by most major manufacturers needs to be sprayed in a spray booth, often with an air fed mask as it can do you some serious harm, but if you can buy it in an aerosol over the counter then you're normally reasonably safe, provided you take sensible precautions. Mask. Mask. Mask......[/quote]

Ok - if i ever use nitro again - def going to be wearing a mask. Wish i had done mor research before commiting. question is will i live!!?? Spoke to my parents and they said i would most likely be ok - haven't experienced any dizzyness, drowsiness, coughing/shortness of breath from it...

So is poly just as bad as nitro - what about spray varnishs etc as i have sanded and sprayed many things growing up as a kid! god knows what i have ingested! plus i live next to dual carriage way too!!

[quote name='attackbass' post='523919' date='Jun 25 2009, 05:31 PM']Ok - if i ever use nitro again - def going to be wearing a mask. Wish i had done mor research before commiting. question is will i live!!?? Spoke to my parents and they said i would most likely be ok - haven't experienced any dizzyness, drowsiness, coughing/shortness of breath from it...

So is poly just as bad as nitro - what about spray varnishs etc as i have sanded and sprayed many things growing up as a kid! god knows what i have ingested! plus i live next to dual carriage way too!![/quote]

All this stuff is pretty evil stuff. The best thing to do is get somebody else to do it... or if you are thinking about getting serious into it, get the proper gear - e.g. air fed mask and fume cupboard.

If you are still alive and reading this, you are doing OK for now.

You might want to try a wipe on finsh for the neck - either oil, or a wipe on polyurethane (spelling?) varnish. I think General Finishes do one.

[url="http://www.generalfinishes.co.uk/index.cfm?page=store&CID=18"]http://www.generalfinishes.co.uk/index.cfm...tore&CID=18[/url]

If you do, let us know how you like it!

I used Rustins water based Worktop Oil, Im not entirely convinved by it yet, but it might get better with some wire wool treatment.

Edited by Mikey R

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='524002' date='Jun 25 2009, 06:48 PM']All this stuff is pretty evil stuff. The best thing to do is get somebody else to do it... or if you are thinking about getting serious into it, get the proper gear - e.g. air fed mask and fume cupboard.

If you are still alive and reading this, you are doing OK for now.[/quote]

haha ok thanks dude! nah it's a one off project i'm doing! If i do it again i will be pre sprayed bodies.

Thinking about all the 2nd hand smoke venues i played in before the smoking ban - theres a lot of nasty sh*t out there!

Just speaking to my dad about it, and he told me about a time when he was younger he resprayed an mg with nitro in his garage with no ventilation or masks - he's nearly 61 now! lol. He's told me to stop worrying, as there are a whole lot of other things out there that are more likely to kill or injury me - like constantly touring in splitter vans/buses/airplanes and the alcohol consumption that goes with it!!

[quote name='attackbass' post='524286' date='Jun 25 2009, 11:30 PM']Just speaking to my dad about it, and he told me about a time when he was younger he resprayed an mg with nitro in his garage with no ventilation or masks - he's nearly 61 now! lol. He's told me to stop worrying, as there are a whole lot of other things out there that are more likely to kill or injury me - like constantly touring in splitter vans/buses/airplanes and the alcohol consumption that goes with it!![/quote]
My dad was always telling me this or that won't harm you; smoking won't hurt you, drinking won't hurt you. He spent most of his life working with all manner of nasty glues, varnishes etc.
The look of surprise & fear on his face when they they told him last year, on his 79th birthday, that he has advanced & incurable cancer is something I'll never forget.... :)

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='attackbass' post='523919' date='Jun 25 2009, 06:31 PM']Ok - if i ever use nitro again - def going to be wearing a mask. Wish i had done mor research before commiting. question is will i live!!?? Spoke to my parents and they said i would most likely be ok - haven't experienced any dizzyness, drowsiness, coughing/shortness of breath from it...

So is poly just as bad as nitro - what about spray varnishs etc as i have sanded and sprayed many things growing up as a kid! god knows what i have ingested! plus i live next to dual carriage way too!![/quote]

Polyester is much more dangerous than Cellulose (I assume you're talking about Nitro Cellulose or the modern acrylic substitutes). A friend of mine ended up in hospital coughing up blood after respraying his VW in Polyester in his garage with just a paper mask. It doesn't cost much to take a few precautions :) .

[quote name='attackbass' post='523919' date='Jun 25 2009, 05:31 PM']Ok - if i ever use nitro again - def going to be wearing a mask. Wish i had done mor research before commiting. question is will i live!!?? Spoke to my parents and they said i would most likely be ok - haven't experienced any dizzyness, drowsiness, coughing/shortness of breath from it...

I don't mean to panic you, but a friend used this stuff in similar conditions. Felt fine for ages, 'bout 6 months or so - then dropped dead. Brain AIDS they reckon. Caused by the spray lacquer.

I'm sure you'll be fine though.

[quote name='henry norton' post='524908' date='Jun 26 2009, 03:01 PM']Polyester is much more dangerous than Cellulose (I assume you're talking about Nitro Cellulose or the modern acrylic substitutes). A friend of mine ended up in hospital coughing up blood after respraying his VW in Polyester in his garage with just a paper mask. It doesn't cost much to take a few precautions :) .[/quote]

Absolutely - you don't want to be spraying poly without an air feed.

All this stuff is nasty. Best keep away unless you are going to make the investment to do it properly.

Man, the stuff smells good though. (Always the way eh?)

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='524962' date='Jun 26 2009, 04:12 PM']I don't mean to panic you, but a friend used this stuff in similar conditions. Felt fine for ages, 'bout 6 months or so - then dropped dead. Brain AIDS they reckon. Caused by the spray lacquer.

I'm sure you'll be fine though.[/quote]

Hey, if he isn't, he'll know for the next life.

A proper rubber mask is required( not a gimp one!), that seals around the nose and has special filters on to strip out the solvents as you breath:

[url="http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/paint-safety.htm"]http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/paint-safety.htm[/url]

You also absorb some through the skin too, I've been spraying a lot over the last few weeks and it's essential to have a proper extraction system in place in your booth too.

Mind, as has been said earlier, Poly is even more dangerous!

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='524998' date='Jun 26 2009, 04:47 PM']A proper rubber mask is required( not a gimp one!), that seals around the nose and has special filters on to strip out the solvents as you breath:

[url="http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/paint-safety.htm"]http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/paint-safety.htm[/url]

You also absorb some through the skin too, I've been spraying a lot over the last few weeks and it's essential to have a proper extraction system in place in your booth too.

Mind, as has been said earlier, Poly is even more dangerous![/quote]

Hi Keith, do you have a spray booth? How easy was it to put it all together?

[quote name='Metalmoore' post='525288' date='Jun 26 2009, 08:30 PM']i just got my self one of [url="http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/tradesman2-twin-respirator/path/masks-respirators"]these[/url] for when i gotta do my finish. 25 quid after P&P. recommended by the man from manchester guitar tech[/quote]

You should be using more than that...

Personally I think I'd just pay the extra money & get it refinished professionally. You'll never do it as well as someone who's experienced at the whole finishing process.
I've just got a quote from Martin Simms for refinishing a Precision Bass body in Burgundy Mist & it was under £250.

• 2 weeks later...

If I ever get round to finishing a bass in the Daphne blue nitro I have, I'll be doing it outside and I have something that resembles a 21st century version of a WWII gas mask, rubber gloves and overalls. A booth with extractor is always better but if you are only going to be doing the one bass then get yourself outside. You can make yourself a simple booth against the corner of a fence with plastic sheeting.

I don't want to kill any more brain cells than I already do with beer.

Edited by Delberthot