Why become a member? ×

Anyone know much about this G&L?

Veils

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220144670707&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012"]HERE!!![/url]

I don't really know a great deal about G&L basses and I have no idea if this is worth what it is being sold for. It is a nice looking bass and I am tempted by it but I would like to know a bit more first, especially what they go for new.....I tried looking for new ones and I am getting a bit confused by the whole "Tribute" thing.....

[quote name='presoulnation' post='54592' date='Sep 3 2007, 09:58 AM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220144670707&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012"]HERE!!![/url]

I don't really know a great deal about G&L basses and I have no idea if this is worth what it is being sold for. It is a nice looking bass and I am tempted by it but I would like to know a bit more first, especially what they go for new.....I tried looking for new ones and I am getting a bit confused by the whole "Tribute" thing.....[/quote]

I can't help you on pricing, I'm afraid.

However...

I've long had a soft spot for G&L basses, particularly the ASAT.

From what I can recall;

There's a few models about. The L1000 and L1500 are 4 and 5 string single pick-up designs.
The L2000 and 2500 are the same but feature 2 pick-ups.
The ASAT is essentially a single-cut version of the L2000. There's a semi solid version of the ASAT, too.

The "Tribute" thing works thus;
HARDWARE from USA. Assembled in Korea (IIRC) Almost exactly the same theory as Lakland "Skyline" models. Prices are invariably lower, and the last tribute 2000 I saw had a 3-piece ash body that was not at all well matched in terms of grain or colour for a naturally finished item.
The woodwork on the USA G&Ls is generally much better, at least on the natural/transluscent finishes.

The controls (on the 2000/2500/ASAT) are;

Volume
Pan
Bass
Treble

with toggle switches for Series / Parallel, Active passive ( I think!), and a slap contour of sorts.

Hope this helps a bit!

Mmm thats very nice.

IMO It's a little over-priced though, It's basically the same bass as an ASAT with a different body shape. They don't come up that often but you could be lucky and get a perfect example in the 550-600 range. Considering the body binding costs a little extra and how rare these are, If I had a spare £700 I'd be very tempted.

New the bass cellar sell ASATs for a grand.

A G&L with bindings on the body?!?! That's awesome! :)

About the differences between the models I think L1000 and L1500 are both 4 strings, but 1000 has the pickup (MM style) in P position, whilst L1500 is in the MM position. There should be also a L1505, 5 string version of the L1500...

Cheers :huh:

Given that it has a few custom options ( the colour and the binding ) I don't think the price is OTT. It looks in great nick and is a killer bass.

I have the 5 string version ( ( L-2500 - strung with TI Jazz Flats ) and it's my "go to" bass........it's just sooooooo comfortable to play and with a great range of sounds.......even with the flats on.

You might pick up one a little cheaper, I know a couple of folks on here have picked them up really cheaply, but you might not get a nicer one.

At the end of the day these things are only worth what you want to pay, but at £700 it's certainly not outrageous.

Stewart

Yeah, even though I said it was over-priced I didn't really mean that. I meant you could get one cheaper perhaps. My ASAT has the body binding, gold hardware etc and it came in below that price range. But honestly If I sold it, I'd want more. So, you know.

Can't recommend the bass enough btw.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='54620' date='Sep 3 2007, 10:33 AM']The "Tribute" thing works thus;
HARDWARE from USA. Assembled in Korea (IIRC) Almost exactly the same theory as Lakland "Skyline" models. Prices are invariably lower, and the last tribute 2000 I saw had a 3-piece ash body that was not at all well matched in terms of grain or colour for a naturally finished item.
The woodwork on the USA G&Ls is generally much better, at least on the natural/transluscent finishes.[/quote]

I got a new Tribute L2500 in natural off the bass centre website for £400 + £10 P&P. It has a 2 piece body that is nicely matched, and is generally kick-ass.
I don't know if they've got any in at the moment though...

Note that there are 4 different neck options on US G&Ls.

That LOOKS to be the (standard) 1 5/8" neck, but there is also a 1 1/2" (jazz width) neck as well. Both necks come in a choice of two radii - 7.5" and 11" (or is it 12").

If you're keen on a G&L, then consider importing from the US. There are a couple of decent forums where the sellers are real fans of G&L, and will describe them honestly.

I got my [url="http://www.areyoulocal.com/PhotoLarge.asp?Loc=photos/Large/red_swirl_full.JPG"]1998 red swirl L2K[/url] (alder body, jazz width neck, custom finish) for $700.

The new retail on that bass in the US would have been about $1500 - you do the sums!

[url="http://badassbassplayers.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=48"]http://badassbassplayers.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=48[/url]

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='54620' date='Sep 3 2007, 11:33 AM']The controls (on the 2000/2500/ASAT) are;

Volume
Pan
Bass
Treble

with toggle switches for Series / Parallel, Active passive ( I think!), and a slap contour of sorts.[/quote]

You might want to count the knobs again. :)

The controls from neck to bridge are:

Pots for
- Volume
- Treble
- Bass

Switches for
- pickup selection (neck/both/bridge)
- parallel/series
- passive/active/active with boosted highs and lows

[quote name='Soulfinger' post='55546' date='Sep 4 2007, 09:18 PM']You might want to count the knobs again. :)

The controls from neck to bridge are:

Pots for
- Volume
- Treble
- Bass

Switches for
- pickup selection (neck/both/bridge)
- parallel/series
- passive/active/active with boosted highs and lows[/quote]

Thanks, you've saved me a few bob by DE-GASsing me.
I [i]hate[/i] basses with selector switches for pick-ups. It kept me away from Fender Roscoe Beck sigs, and has just done the same for the ASAT!
And I can't be doing with modding a bass to include something that I firmly believe should've been there in the first place (Either a PAN or Volume per pick-up!)