Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Michael Manring play's 'Selene'

Bobo_Grimmer

I think it's a shame when people can't hear the quality of some music. I'm not a fan of a lot of orchestral music but that does not stop me hearing the quality and beauty that lies in it. Those two pieces that Oscar South posted are just what I said earlier, mesmerising. Maybe it's time for me to go out and buy some of his more recent stuff.

[quote name='Oscar South' post='519659' date='Jun 20 2009, 10:22 PM']Everyones entitled to their opinion, but a little elaboration would make it a lot more interresting.[/quote]

It's just a matter of taste I suppose. I don't like listening to prog rock either, or metal, or classic rock or whatever. I just wouldn't listen to it, given a choice. I'm not going to listen to music I don't like because the bass player's good.

[quote name='BassBus' post='519707' date='Jun 20 2009, 11:40 PM']I think it's a shame when people can't hear the quality of some music.[/quote]

I'm not saying his music isn't well done. I might be able to see the craftsmanship involved in a bespoke suit, but I'd still be happier with jeans and a T-shirt. Less pretentious.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='519748' date='Jun 21 2009, 03:14 AM']I'm not going to listen to music I don't like because the bass player's good.[/quote]

this is what it comes down to for me really - sure i can say 'yes, that's very skillful bassplaying', but it's the whole package for me - if the music doesn't engage me then that's about it.

as an analogy - i find representational painting leaves me cold. i can appreciate the skill of the artist, but i certainly won't go to a gallery to look at an exhibition of it, whereas i'd be in like flynn if it were, say kandinsky.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='519697' date='Jun 20 2009, 11:19 PM']He's been a sideman on dozens of albums, covering pretty much every genre. Check out Equilibre by David Cullen for some beautiful 'supportive' fretless playing and 'The idiot king' by Attention defict for some mad band playing. 'Yo Miles' is another cool album with Henry Kaiser.[/quote]

Just searched for all those things on spotify. It has failed me...

Astonishing intonation on a fretless, and some very interesting uses of the hardware, I can't say I particularly liked the song, parts of it were beautiful, but overall it didn't do a lot for me.

I watched some of the other videos, Morning Star is a display of virtuoso level, and he is clearly an exceptionally talented musician.

I'm always a little underwhelmed by these solo bassists, most of them have such advanced technique, but few of them write decent tunes.

The only solo bass pieces that remain on my iPod for long are Jaco's.

Someone get him a Chapman Stick, for god's sake!! :)

[quote name='WinterMute' post='519841' date='Jun 21 2009, 11:20 AM']Someone get him a Chapman Stick, for god's sake!! :)[/quote]
A fretless stick? :rolleyes: He does have a few basses, including a 10 string (though it's a 5x2) and a 6. Lists them and shows the tunings he uses (14 on "The Enormous Room" alone!!!) on [url="http://www.manthing.com/tunings.htm"]this[/url] page of his website.

[quote name='ahpook' post='519777' date='Jun 21 2009, 09:26 AM']this is what it comes down to for me really - sure i can say 'yes, that's very skillful bassplaying', but it's the whole package for me - if the music doesn't engage me then that's about it.

as an analogy - i find representational painting leaves me cold. i can appreciate the skill of the artist, but i certainly won't go to a gallery to look at an exhibition of it, whereas i'd be in like flynn if it were, say kandinsky.[/quote]
I think we are all really saying the same thing in our own way and not quite meeting in the middle. I respect all your feelings on the matter. Great inventive player, just doesn't float your boat and that's OK.

[quote name='BassBus' post='519864' date='Jun 21 2009, 11:45 AM']I think we are all really saying the same thing in our own way and not quite meeting in the middle. I respect all your feelings on the matter. Great inventive player, just doesn't float your boat and that's OK.[/quote]

nicely put :)

[quote name='bythesea' post='519849' date='Jun 21 2009, 11:25 AM']A fretless stick? :) He does have a few basses, including a 10 string (though it's a 5x2) and a 6. Lists them and shows the tunings he uses (14 on "The Enormous Room" alone!!!) on [url="http://www.manthing.com/tunings.htm"]this[/url] page of his website.[/quote]

Well, there's the half fretless NS Stick.... 8 strings, multi-mode, strung like a bass and not in one of their weird "my hands are on backwards" tunings... [url="http://www.stick.com/news/halffretless_ns.html"]Half-fretless NS Stick.[/url]

Loads of fun.

Edited by WinterMute

[quote name='WinterMute' post='519899' date='Jun 21 2009, 12:44 PM']Well, there's the half fretless NS Stick.... 8 strings, multi-mode, strung like a bass and not in one of their weird "my hands are on backwards" tunings... [url="http://www.stick.com/news/halffretless_ns.html"]Half-fretless NS Stick.[/url]

Loads of fun.[/quote]
mmmm - GAS...

I had an original Stick back in the 80s, but not having any theory behind me then sold it after a short while. Fourths and fifths on different sides? What are they? :)

[quote name='WinterMute' post='519899' date='Jun 21 2009, 12:44 PM']"my hands are on backwards" tunings... [url="http://www.stick.com/news/halffretless_ns.html"]Half-fretless NS Stick.[/url]

Loads of fun.[/quote]

LMAO Super :D

You konw i love you guy's. I'd never come across Mr Manring till i Posted the link and now after reading back through this thread i know so much more. Thank you. ;) Over the last few week's i'd lost music. I'd gone mad i think, i really thought i was done musically. I couldn't relax into my playing and i just stopped. :) I'd go out for a jam, get there set up and not be able to play. I didn't know what to do, confused, confidence gone, spent.
Has anyone else ever had this?

............ But I think the reserve is refilling. :lol:

IMO no instrument or musician should be be confined in any way and i love to see how we all have interesting and exciting idea's for music and in so many different ways.
:rolleyes:

[quote name='Bobo_Grimmer' post='519956' date='Jun 21 2009, 02:08 PM']You konw i love you guy's. I'd never come across Mr Manring till i Posted the link and now after reading back through this thread i know so much more. Thank you. :lol: Over the last few week's i'd lost music. I'd gone mad i think, i really thought i was done musically. I couldn't relax into my playing and i just stopped. :) I'd go out for a jam, get there set up and not be able to play. I didn't know what to do, confused, confidence gone, spent.
Has anyone else ever had this?

............ But I think the reserve is refilling. :rolleyes:[/quote]
The same happened to me back in the mid 90s. I was so board with playing rock and pop. Nothing I could find to play on the instrument. I had seven years away from the bass but thanks to a whole series of coincidences in 2001 the inspiration came back in the form of jazz. Never looked back since. Thank God I didn't sell my gear.

[quote name='BassBus' post='519974' date='Jun 21 2009, 02:50 PM']The same happened to me back in the mid 90s. I was so board with playing rock and pop. Nothing I could find to play on the instrument. I had seven years away from the bass but thanks to a whole series of coincidences in 2001 the inspiration came back in the form of jazz. Never looked back since. Thank God I didn't sell my gear.[/quote]

Tihs! I'm slightly scared that i may be heading for a long break................. :)

Just been reading some stuff about Mr. Manring, someone asked him if he'd tried a Chapman Stick, he said yes he had and that (and I quote) "he sucked"... :)

I tried a Chapman Stick too, and I sucked, maybe there's hope for my fretless playing yet.

[quote name='Bobo_Grimmer' post='519980' date='Jun 21 2009, 03:05 PM']Tihs! I'm slightly scared that i may be heading for a long break................. :)[/quote]
Only as long as it takes to find the new inspiration. That might come along next week, who knows.

[quote name='WinterMute' post='520020' date='Jun 21 2009, 04:11 PM']I tried a Chapman Stick too, and I sucked, maybe there's hope for my fretless playing yet.[/quote]
So did I - too much like trying to play a keyboard for me I think. Left and right hands have to be connected in some way for me, playing different things with each just wasn't going to happen :)

Never heard of Michael Manring until this thread, and WOW! the man is awesome (although I think he could do with an extra hand for that hyperbass :) )

After a bit of research his album 'Thonk' keeps coming up (has The enormous room on it) so had a look to try and aquire it.
HMV wha...?
Amazon £70+ :rolleyes:
so without stealing it off the web, anybody point me in the right direction to get a copy?

Cheers
Andy

Edit 4 spelin

Edited by soopercrip

[quote name='soopercrip' post='520485' date='Jun 22 2009, 08:42 AM']Never heard of Michael Manring until this thread, and WOW! the man is awesome (although I think he could do with an extra hand for that hyperbass :) )

After a bit of research his album 'Thonk' keeps coming up (has The enormous room on it) so had a look to try and aquire it.
HMV wha...?
so without stealing it off the web, anybody point me in the right direction to get a copy?

Cheers
Andy

Edit 4 spelin[/quote]

As his Grandfather would say 'Don't roll your eyes like that, Walker!'

BB

[quote name='soopercrip' post='520485' date='Jun 22 2009, 08:42 AM']Never heard of Michael Manring until this thread, and WOW! the man is awesome (although I think he could do with an extra hand for that hyperbass :) )

HMV wha...?

Cheers
Andy

Edit 4 spelin[/quote]

His stuff is very hard to get hold of, I waited for about a year to pick up a CD copy of Drastic Measure for just £25 having worn out my previous copy.

It's a real shame....

[quote name='51m0n' post='519474' date='Jun 20 2009, 06:10 PM']He is the most inspiring and interesting bassist on the planet IMO.

I've said it before but I'll say it again, how many of us have seen guys (or ourselves) mangin to rip Wooten's technical slappity poppity double thumping at least to a certian degree? I know I've seen tonnes. I have never seen anyone even attempt a Manring thing, not with the detuning too, that is just above and beyond what normal people can achieve, even with a lot of work. The closest I've ever got is Girl With... on my myspace page, and its not even close (standard tuning and no harmonics for a start :)) in fact its super lame compared to MM, and it took me years to get close to right! It was very much inspired by listening to Drastic Measures, but is clearly not in the same league.

Plus his fretless tone is the absolute definition of perfection for what he does, its so ethereal.

I agree about the Jaco tip, he was taught by Jaco, and in interview said they mainly spent time looking at how music works, solos work, compositions work etc, not strictly bass related all, its brilliant to watch how far this genius can take our instrument.[/quote]

+1

I can play some of Wootens tunes; The Vision, Classical Thump (insert members yawning here), More Love etc etc...it was hard but when you can do it...Meh I found out it's not useful to me.

Manring? NO WAY! How do you start?
It's not the techneque it's his ears, brain and his heart thsat do it.
It's not his techneque it's his musical mind...And for a fretless player he has a LOT of highs in his tone too. :rolleyes:
Not as flat as Jaco.