Why become a member? ×

Assorted String goodness!

iamapirate

Not 100% sure if this is in the right forum, but what the hey! just thought it would be cool to see what strings people use (and combinations of srings). I've heard that people don't like the tone of certain strings in certain places eg. so EBs might have a lovely 'E', but you use elixers for the 'G' and elites for 'A and 'D'. Also, do you thru-body some strings and put others through the bridge?

I was thinking something like this:

Current Set up:

E - medium - D'Addario - bridge
A - medium - D'Addario - thru-body
D - medium - D'Addario - thru-body
G - medium - Elites - thru body

Feel free to put a dream set up :)

[quote name='iamapirate' post='518404' date='Jun 19 2009, 02:16 PM']Not 100% sure if this is in the right forum, but what the hey! just thought it would be cool to see what strings people use (and combinations of srings). I've heard that people don't like the tone of certain strings in certain places eg. so EBs might have a lovely 'E', but you use elixers for the 'G' and elites for 'A and 'D'. Also, do you thru-body some strings and put others through the bridge?

I was thinking something like this:

Current Set up:

E - medium - D'Addario - bridge
A - medium - D'Addario - thru-body
D - medium - D'Addario - thru-body
G - medium - Elites - thru body

Feel free to put a dream set up :)[/quote]

How come you don't put your E thru-body? Never really thought of mixing and matching like this before.

The Curbow is standard tuning with standard gauge strings. Don't know what brand as I've never changed them.

The Vampyre is tuned to standard C, with the low four strings from 5-string bass set of Warwick Red Labels.
Eb - 60
Bb - 80
F - 100
C - 130

Edit: Through the bridge on both basses.

Edited by Eight

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='521906' date='Jun 23 2009, 04:43 PM']How come you don't put your E thru-body? Never really thought of mixing and matching like this before.[/quote]
Cos last time I did that it snapped :) Also, I think that when I EQ my amp properly, I get more than enough sustain on the bottom E, and I don't really need anymore by thru-bodying it.

Well, I didn't think about mixing and matching until I snapped a bottom E, and then snapped a top g when replacing my strings, and then realising that I prefer some makes of strings for some string positions.