Why become a member? ×

Epiphone bass - kind donation!

ped

I just picked this up from basschatter Tredders. He has kindly given me the bass as a donation to basschat - so it may be sold and the funds used for the site. At the moment I am cleaning it up and setting it up and it is good fun. It's a short scale and has a really nice neck. The sounds are quite weird and couldn't be more opposite from my every day bass, but playing it is great fun and it makes me appreciate my own bass all the more! The sound of the back pickup with the tone back is really nice, burpy and funky.

A really nice change, anyway - and most importantly great fun!

Here are some poor pics, haven't got my camera at the moment:

After a quick clean and resoldering

headstock

Fresh out of the car boot, pre cleanup

[quote name='ped' post='515851' date='Jun 16 2009, 10:40 PM']Don't be so sure!! Mwahahaha!!

Lovely to meet you mate - seems we could have chatted all evening! Maybe I will sell the Epiphone and spend it on an AP Royal Oak Offshore from TZ![/quote]

Great to meet you, too. Next time, we'll make it the pub instead of Tescos cafe....

I hate to break this to you, but the only way you're going to get an AP Royal Oak via the Episphone is to put it through the window of your nearest high end jewellers!

Hope this raises a few quid for BassChat (and equally, I hope it finally ends up in Tayste_2000's hands).

Cheers

Tredders

I am sure it will do! I am just giving it a once over and I will record some stuff with it next week for fun. I just finished playing it now, it makes a good 'training bass' because it requires more effort to play. It sounds cool, too.

Cheers
ped

That's an Epiphone ET-280, built by Matsumoku in Japan around 1975. This one looks like a great car boot find, it appears to be all original apart from missing a bridge cover, which is usual.

These come up on Ebay every so often & probably would go for between £150 - £200 on there. I'd recommend leaving it stock - these are getting quite collectable & "upgrading" components (tempting as it might be) will adversely affect its future value.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='518270' date='Jun 19 2009, 12:14 PM']That's an Epiphone ET-280, built by Matsumoku in Japan around 1975. This one looks like a great car boot find, it appears to be all original apart from missing a bridge cover, which is usual.

These come up on Ebay every so often & probably would go for between £150 - £200 on there. I'd recommend leaving it stock - these are getting quite collectable & "upgrading" components (tempting as it might be) will adversely affect its future value.

Jon.[/quote]

Yeah, that's definitely the one. Just found the 1974 Epiphone catalogue online, and it's shown on there: -

[url="http://www.matsumoku.org/models/epiphone/catalogs/1974/pg5.html"]http://www.matsumoku.org/models/epiphone/c...s/1974/pg5.html[/url]

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...