Why become a member? ×

Shuker 6 String Headless

Johngh

This thread was started on Bassworld, continued on Basstalk and is now on here ! The spec is Bassically this (no pun) :)

6 string headless
Quilted maple top in high gloss finish ( Jon says the finish will be that good it will seem you can put your hand in it ! )
5 piece maple thru neck with maple birdeye fingerboard.
White ash body.
Black veneer between top and body and neck and body sides.
Black AMB Headless system with monorail tuners.
EMG 45P and 45 TW Pups
Shuker 3 band board
Red Side LEDS
As for the scale, I'm taking in my Status Eclipse Graphite neck six string for John to base the neck on that, don't ask me the scale as I havent got a clue, I only play it !

I'm in no great hurry to have it finished, I've just told Jon to take his time with it. Here are the photos so far

[attachment=219:bass_fra.jpg]

[attachment=220:bass_backa.jpg]

[attachment=221:bassfb.jpg]

[attachment=222:bassbb.jpg]

Edited by Johngh

[quote name='Johngh' post='4044' date='May 22 2007, 12:02 AM']6 string headless
Quilted maple top in high gloss finish ( Jon says the finish will be that good it will seem you can put your hand in it ! )
5 piece maple thru neck with maple birdeye fingerboard.
White ash body.
Black veneer between top and body and neck and body sides.
Black AMB Headless system with monorail tuners.
EMG 45P and 45 TW Pups
Shuker 3 band board
Red Side LEDS
As for the scale, I'm taking in my Status Eclipse Graphite neck six string for John to base the neck on that, don't ask me the scale as I havent got a clue, I only play it ![/quote]

Bloody hell! Thats very, very sexy. The original body shape left me feeling a little uninspired but this one...

...in headless...

...phwoaaaaaarrrrrr! :)

[quote name='Tinman' post='4270' date='May 22 2007, 12:59 PM']Did you want me to take some photos of the progress for you? If so PM me with your details and I'll get some when I go to see Jon on Saturday.[/quote]

Tinman, many thanks, but I recon the next time I want to see it, it will be when its finished.

Looking good - Was this the neck I took a picture of a while back?

on the left hand side?

I'm interested in the different positioning of the graphite rods with the two necks.

Anyway, looking great - I was the same with mine towards the end, I kind of wanted a surprise when I went to collect it!

Good luck!

Rich

[quote name='RichBowman' post='4658' date='May 22 2007, 09:27 PM']Looking good - Was this the neck I took a picture of a while back?

on the left hand side?

I'm interested in the different positioning of the graphite rods with the two necks.

Anyway, looking great - I was the same with mine towards the end, I kind of wanted a surprise when I went to collect it!

Good luck!

Rich[/quote]

Rich

Yes thats the one. I went on holiday, came back, and the build had come on leaps and bounds. The build thread has not been as detailed as I had hoped. So I recon the next lot of photos will be when its done. Unless fellow Basschatters go to Jon's and take and post photo's :)

[quote name='Johngh' post='4721' date='May 22 2007, 11:02 PM']Rich

Yes thats the one. I went on holiday, came back, and the build had come on leaps and bounds. The build thread has not been as detailed as I had hoped. So I recon the next lot of photos will be when its done. Unless fellow Basschatters go to Jon's and take and post photo's :huh:[/quote]

Now I'm confused. Would you like me to take photos or would you rather I didn't. I don't mind, no really I don't, I'm serious, come on now make up your mind. :) Or is it that you secretly want me to but won't admit it. Go on, you know you want to. :huh:

"Quilted maple top in high gloss finish ( Jon says the finish will be that good it will seem you can put your hand in it ! ) "

looking forward to seeing that!!

[b]Fragility[/b]

it will get you its just a matter of time, "doodle" got me, and Tinman is the latest victim :)

[quote name='Bassmonster' post='5426' date='May 23 2007, 11:38 PM']"Quilted maple top in high gloss finish ( Jon says the finish will be that good it will seem you can put your hand in it ! ) "

looking forward to seeing that!!
[b]Fragility[/b]

it will get you its just a matter of time, "doodle" got me, and Tinman is the latest victim :)[/quote]

I am and loving it, although Mrs T is starting to say things like "can't you think of anything else?" and of course the answer is NO

I spoke to Jon last night about my bass. Apparently the Coolibah on the back has come out really well and looks pretty stunning.

Hopefully the Bimblebox on the front looks at least as nice. Something I still worry about in my darkest moments. Even Jon's best assurances that it looks great aren't enough to quell that particular fear.

Two weeks (ish) to go. \o/

[quote name='EntropicLqd' post='5607' date='May 24 2007, 11:05 AM']I spoke to Jon last night about my bass. Apparently the Coolibah on the back has come out really well and looks pretty stunning.

Hopefully the Bimblebox on the front looks at least as nice. Something I still worry about in my darkest moments. Even Jon's best assurances that it looks great aren't enough to quell that particular fear.

Two weeks (ish) to go. \o/[/quote]
Photos on Saturday mate.

Could you give me a little more gen on it, e.g is a 4 string or a 5 etc. I don't want to get the wrong one

Pete

[quote name='Tinman' post='5617' date='May 24 2007, 11:15 AM']..Could you give me a little more gen on it, e.g is a 4 string or a 5 etc. I don't want to get the wrong one..[/quote]
Heh .. Jon will know :)

It's a 5 string, left handed, thru-neck, bass. The strings are strung right handed though.

I have a particular interest in Johns buid diary. I hope you don't mind John, but you are helping me get ideas together for a Shuker headless!

I'm getting a plan together, but I wont be starting until my Elite 6 has been despatched in a month or 2. I think I'll go for a singlecut headless, as per the designs I posted on ..well.. was it bassworld? it was sooo long ago!!

The pictures are looking great. This bass is gonna be a cool one!

[quote name='dood' post='6930' date='May 26 2007, 12:16 AM']I have a particular interest in Johns buid diary. I hope you don't mind John, but you are helping me get ideas together for a Shuker headless!

I'm getting a plan together, but I wont be starting until my Elite 6 has been despatched in a month or 2. I think I'll go for a singlecut headless, as per the designs I posted on ..well.. was it bassworld? it was sooo long ago!!

The pictures are looking great. This bass is gonna be a cool one![/quote]

Dood, it was you that got me going on the idea of having a Shuker made in the first place after letting me loose on "The Doodle", I like to see build threads so much, its great to pool all the ideas together from everyone to make up your dream Bass. x

Edited by Johngh

;o)

bless you John! I feel a two way vibe going on mate!

I played another Status KingBass yesterday whilst I was down at the gallery. The whole headless thing/zero fret is excellent. Talk about helping to get the action right down!!! I was very impressed (again) having played G-77's kingbass at the bass bash. I think its definitely a way to go now.

Here are more photo's of "Blondie" thanks to Tinman, cheers mate. The Leds are going to be 3 way switchable, Off, Low and er Full Beam !

Really nice photo from above as well, I can't wait until she's finished. We are giging every weekend now, so when the Bass is done she will be gigged straight away. Woo Hoo !!!!
As you will have all gathered by now, I'm sh*te at downloading photos, a million pardons.

[attachment=307:LEDS_side.JPG]

[attachment=308:Leds_2.JPG]

[attachment=309:Body_Top.JPG]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='RichBowman' post='15909' date='Jun 11 2007, 09:25 PM']Looking GOOD!

Just popped an EMG P5 in my Shuker - It thunders! Really, really growls. The 6'er equivalent and the switching on the TW should give a nice range of sounds.

Can't be too long now?

Rich[/quote]

Is that instead of the neck DC coil?

Hey Dan,

Yup, I popped in into the neck PU as I had a real hankering for a P. Think it's done the job admirably. Might not be quite so versatile/subtle because of it, but my god, it's a good sound! I'm going to adjust the mid frequency a bit so I can back it off when I need a smoother tone.

How are the plans for your SC headless coming on?

Rich