Why become a member? ×

i want a rickenbacker........

riff raff

[quote name='riff raff' post='519836' date='Jun 21 2009, 11:12 AM']already in contact with the mapleglo owner.not really looking to buy trouble d'ya know what i mean.i've done a lot of buying and selling in various areas and i always trust my gut.and i'm not feeling this 75.[/quote]
I agree, I wouldn't go for it either.

BTW, as an AC-DC fan you may be interested to search back in the FS section of BassChat - one of Cliff Williams' old basses came up 6-12 months ago. Very nice!

[quote name='riff raff' post='519850' date='Jun 21 2009, 11:25 AM']really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=31048&hl=cliff+williams"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...=cliff+williams[/url]

[quote name='Starless' post='519515' date='Jun 20 2009, 07:30 PM']The previously noted contempt for their customers, the shoddy Quality Control, and the fact that any famous Ric player through history has only really played them as a passing fad (McCartney, Roger Waters, Geddy Lee etc etc) leads me to finally believe that they really are not special and are now shockingly over-priced for what you actually get (even one that has managed to escape the factory relatively defect-free).[/quote]

So Chris Squire and Lemmy don't count then? Oh, and Geddy still plays his occasionally....McCartney says he stopped playing his because of the weight.

Edited by 4000

Hello I am new here I have played my Ric 4003 ( Oct 1992 model ) now for the past 11years,and it is still the bass that I judge others by.Yes there are the odd QC issues and you wait aprox 2 years for new one so it is a shame when the odd one has a flaw or two.

I do not think that the Ric 4001 / 4003 ever went out of fashion, they still have that magic about them like the Fender Precision & Jazz has always had.

After lusting after a Ric 4001/4003 for many years I finally bought a new Amber Fireglow (2007 special colour) 4003, last year. As I almost always play fingerstyle, first thing I did was to take the pick up cover off, as so many people do. Now that isn't as straight forward as you would imagine either!!! Next thing was to fit a thumb rest and I was in business. Initial impressions were slight disappointment! This is an expensive guitar and apart from fantastic looks, I wasn't sure where the value for money was coming from! However after just a few days playing I realised that this was going to be a life long love affair. I have 6 other basses (Gibson Victory, Gibson SG both short and long scale, Fender P, Goodfellow fretless, Guild DeArmond Starfire) and in terms of sound and playability, the Ric is always my first choice. When I upgraded from Ashdown amp and cabs to Ampeg, the Ric REALLY came into its own. The tonal range is just amazing and the Ric/Ampeg combination gives me everything I could ever wish for sound wise. As others have said, best to play a Ric before buying, if you can. But don't just play it for 5 minutes, it takes a few hours of playing before you realise what a fantastic guitar it is - even so there will be those that just don't get on with them.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='519526' date='Jun 20 2009, 07:46 PM']I personally cannot believe some of the QC problems Ive heard about recently...its digusting! Lovely looking bases, never played one though.

I did have Rick gas...but...after seeing the price, I was put off. At that price, you could get a decent Sadowsky, or nearly 2 USA Fenders.

Or...put it towards a custom.

£1600 plus or whatever they are is ridiculous.[/quote]

I owned a MG 4003 for several years and never had any problems with it, QC or otherwise. Sold it to help pay for my 61P otherwise I would still have it. Yes RIC are trading on their heritage (a bit) and yes you either love them (warts and all) or loath them, personally I think they sound good and look great. Here a little pic of me playing mine.

[attachment=27807:b8d1_7.JPG]

If you decide that it's the bass for you, then who cares what everyone else thinks, make it your own!

• 2 weeks later...

I have played my Oct '92 4003 for the past 11 years, since my Girlfriend bought it me for my birthday for the sum of £650.Even though I own other basses including an original 1964 Hofner violin bass,it is still my main bass and the bass I judge others by.

Yes £1600 + is a lot to pay for any bass so you would expect QC issues to be sorted.In all I would have another Ric in a heartbeat though it will be most likely secondhand.

I wanted one for nigh on 30 years now.....and finally snagged one on the cheap about 2 months ago....

I have no issue with the neck (as i mostly play 5 string) the binding on the body is a bit uncomfortable but not a major issue....

here is my issue however.....while i absolutely love this bass distorted (main reason I bought it to Cop a Geddy like tone, well that and the stereo output), i cannot for the life of me find a clean tone i can live with out of her....

so IMHO you want a Ric make sure you play one first!

she is a 1980 Mapleglo Ric 4003

[quote name='Snakeman1066' post='534372' date='Jul 7 2009, 05:45 AM']Still got her mate! Just not digging her clean tone....

here in the U.S. the split pick guard is less desireable to collectors than the one piece models......so they tend to be less expensive than the other models[/quote]

Strange! Wonder why that is? As fas as I know, these were the very first 4003s, featuring revised truss rods. The rods adjust at the heel end which is why the guard 2-piece, I don't think they made them that way for long - so you'd think their comparative rarity would make them more desirable.

Jon.

I keep coming back to this thread, and also looking at Rick 4001/3s on Ebay.
Despite my inability to get on with the others I've owned I'm starting to think I want to give it another go.
They just look SO good........ :)

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Starless' post='519515' date='Jun 20 2009, 07:30 PM']and the fact that any famous Ric player through history has only really played them as a passing fad (McCartney, Roger Waters, Geddy Lee etc etc) leads me to finally believe that they really are not special and are now shockingly over-priced for what you actually get (even one that has managed to escape the factory relatively defect-free).[/quote]

Im not sure you could call McCartneys use of his Ric as a passing fad

Anyway, just brought a maple glo 4003 of a nice bloke on this forum

I am finding it very very alien to my P bass, the lack of shape on the body where I rest me forearm to finger play is the main issue, causing me to put the weight of my arm through my thumb on top of the pick guard rather than through my forearm onto the body. I guess its like the P bass is easier to play lazy

The neck is also much fatter than I expected, but I have no issue with this

I really love the tone, and tone/pickup control

I am getting used to the different approach required to play it

Problem now is because they are so different, I love both the Ric and my P bass, and will have conflict in which one I want to play for every practice/gig (yes life is good if I have time to worry about such silly things)

Only time will tell I guess if its a passing fad or not, but for now Ive always wanted one, and am finally enjoying ownership

hiho,I,ve noticed that nobody has mentioned pick up height.I found this to be a part of the ricky sound jigsaw.Be prepared to balance the two pups to your taste.They can start to distort if you get them too high,not a problem with the neck pup as you cant get it as high as the bridge and a lot of people set the bridge pup too high in relation to the neck pup.I think balance is the word I,m looking for.Just a thought that might help someone.

Ok, I'll add my my ladle to the stew!

I have a love/hate relationship with these instruments. I had two when I was younger - a dead-dog of a 4001 and a 4001S 8-string that would be in tune down the bottom end and waay out up top and then had a break of about 15 years before I bought a whole bunch of them in a matter on months. The main beef I have with them is that CV finish they use and the marks and blemishes that can appear in them, although I'm sure I've heard they are moving away from that to another finish. Beware of those fat-neck 4003s that are going about, made from the late '90s up until '07, I think; my Blueboy had such a neck and that, combined with a weird reaction in the finish, was enough to make me punt it. The newer models have the slimmer neck and vintage tone modd but, yeh, I agree: they cost far too much. And their QC isn't that great, either.

Def a 'try many times before you buy' guitar. If you can find them, that is.

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='bassmachine2112' post='602705' date='Sep 19 2009, 08:27 AM']hiho,I,ve noticed that nobody has mentioned pick up height.I found this to be a part of the ricky sound jigsaw.Be prepared to balance the two pups to your taste.They can start to distort if you get them too high,not a problem with the neck pup as you cant get it as high as the bridge and a lot of people set the bridge pup too high in relation to the neck pup.I think balance is the word I,m looking for.Just a thought that might help someone.[/quote]

That's an interesting point, esp re basses. Usually, the common complaint is a weak E string on the back pup. An interesting point is that some early 4001s had Philips-head pole pieces (like one of my '73s) which gave you so much more control over the output.

A real Ric lover here! :brow:

I have a Jetglo 4001. I seem to remember that it was built September 1980. I love it to bits. It has the lowest action of any bass I have played, love the tone, and in the 12+ years I have owned it, the neck has never budged. The finish is still beautiful, no cracks anywhere, and I can't imagine ever getting rid of it :wub:

Well, OK, maybe as a trade for a 4004LK, but I doubt I'll ever find one of those now! :)