Why become a member? ×

FS: 1981 IBANEZ ROADSTER RS-924 with 1978-80 FENDER ORIGINAL TOLEX CASE now both SOLD

Apothem

I am the original owner from new, bought it in Autumn 1981, and she's never changed hands. The guy from the shop said Ibanez cases were not delivered, but he had a Fender black tolex case with red interior "that's been laying around for a while", also brand new, so I took it.

Made in Japan and built like a tank, beautiful wood grain, P-J configuration, 2-band EQ, active/passive switch. Controls are vol, tone, treble, bass, PU selector. I always managed to obtain a good quality sound, in studio and live. A couple of knocks and dings here and there on the body and one on the tip of the headstock (well, wouldn't you expect it from a 28-year old axe??), although the neck is perfect. 24-fret 3-piece neck with 5-piece headstock. Frets in very good conditions, virtually no wear at all.

Completely stock apart from the flimsy butterfly-shaped tuners, immediately replaced with Glover. Comes with original thumbrest (never fitted) and trussrod key.

[attachment=26838:PICT1356.JPG] [attachment=26839:PICT1357.JPG] [attachment=26840:PICT1351.JPG] [attachment=26841:PICT1361.JPG] [attachment=26842:PICT1362.JPG] [attachment=26843:PICT1364.JPG] [attachment=26844:PICT1349.JPG] [attachment=26845:PICT1350.JPG] [attachment=26846:PICT1367.JPG]

She may need a bit of a setup as she hasn't been played for aaaaaaaages (regular use in gigs/rehearsals for 10 years, then virtually untouched for the last 18).

The case is also in good nick, a couple of small dents in the tolex but all feet/latches/hinges/handle work perfectly, although a bit tarnished. The external plastic Fender logo in the corner is still remarkably intact.

[attachment=26847:PICT1353.JPG] [attachment=26848:PICT1354.JPG] [attachment=26849:PICT1355.JPG]

An attractive price for fellow BCers, for both together as a bundle, now at £349 plus £25 UK shipping (a few geographical exceptions, with Parcelforce 48; insurance optional). Sorry, not looking for trades or offers. I'll take Paypal but can only ship from Monday 15th June. If no interest here, eBayment will follow soon.

The bass is not available without the case, unless you are willing to come to pick it up near Glasgow: price for the bass alone would be £299. The case would be then sold separately at a price considerably higher than £50 once the need for protecting/shipping the bass has gone. So my advice is: get both, then sell the case (if not needed) to vintage Fender owners for £99 ... :rolleyes: :)

I am afraid I cannot take further pics as she's now already packed ready for shipment.

Thanks for looking

Claudio

Edited by Apothem

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='510392' date='Jun 10 2009, 05:08 PM']Cool bass. What are the controls?

Also the saddles look a bit rusty, do they still adjust OK?[/quote]

Controls are vol/tone (the two yellow knobs), bass/treble (the two black ones), active/passive chrome switch and pu selector (the white switch). All knobs/controls are original, and so is everything else apart from the tuners.

Here is a pic of the bridge I forgot before:

[attachment=26852:PICT1360.JPG]

You can see the screws are not rusty, but I believe the saddles are brass and need some polishing to take the tarnish off. I tried to turn the screws one or two years ago just to check and had no problems.

Edited by Apothem

Beauty! It takes me back.. although mine was mahogany finish it was the same model. Excellent bass.
Just look at mine now! :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44673&hl=ibanez+roadster"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...ibanez+roadster[/url]

Good luck with the sale Claudio.. well worth the asking price!

I have one of these, identical apart from the finish, mine's transparent red. Superb basses & exceptional build quality, mine is my favourite recording bass.

Good luck with the sale, these don't come up too often. :)

Jon.

[quote name='hubrad' post='510439' date='Jun 10 2009, 05:44 PM']Beauty! It takes me back.. although mine was mahogany finish it was the same model. Excellent bass.
Just look at mine now! :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44673&hl=ibanez+roadster"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...ibanez+roadster[/url]

Good luck with the sale Claudio.. well worth the asking price![/quote]

Wow!! What a change!!

Thanks for the comments, guys. If you had one of these in the '80s like me, it means we're no spring chickens LOL ROFL :rolleyes:

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='511637' date='Jun 11 2009, 09:47 PM']I had one of these. Happy days. No screw that, very happy days. I loved that Ibanez.
P[/quote]

The woman in the photo seems less than convinced. Love the bass, love Nancy's top

I notice you have used a 4 in line set of vintage Grover Titans on the bass,you do know that you can strip these tuners down and rebuild them in the other direction-I.E you can make a right side tuner into a left hand tuner and vice versa

Also,I would use the Grover Titan Washers and screw fitting for the front of the headstock :)

[quote name='hubrad' post='510439' date='Jun 10 2009, 06:44 PM']Just look at mine now! :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44673&hl=ibanez+roadster"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...ibanez+roadster[/url][/quote]

[quote name='deaver' post='511641' date='Jun 11 2009, 09:55 PM']The woman in the photo seems less than convinced. Love the bass, love Nancy's top[/quote]

This was at a talent show...1980s. I was seventeen or eighteen. Seems to be a bit of a mullet going on too. The woman was one of the other acts. The top came from Debenhams the very same morning. It itched like hell.

P

In an attack of madness :) now a FINAL REDUCTION before Thursday's eBayment: £299 + £25 shipping, with insurance optional. (£229 for picking up the bass alone). GULP!!!

Edited by Apothem

[quote name='Apothem' post='513447' date='Jun 14 2009, 05:35 PM']Funny how many of you had one of these back in the ice age LOL!! When I think about it, I feel like a dinosaur ... :rolleyes:[/quote]

Even Steve Bleedin' 'Arris had one of these - check out the vid for Run To The Hills! :)

J.

• 2 weeks later...