Why become a member? ×

Matamp GT200 to buy or not to buy?

Sean.Robinson

Hi pardon the title i didnt know what to put really. Ive just phoned up matamp and am going to their showroom next week when i get back to huddersfield. I just wondered if anyone had any opinions of these amps and maybe some pictures as i cant find any. It retails at £1300 and apparently any cosmetic changes, faceplate covering etc are covered in that so they sound quite reasonable as i say though it would be great to hear some peoples experiences.

[quote name='Sean.Robinson' post='508995' date='Jun 9 2009, 01:18 PM']Hi pardon the title i didnt know what to put really. Ive just phoned up matamp and am going to their showroom next week when i get back to huddersfield. I just wondered if anyone had any opinions of these amps and maybe some pictures as i cant find any. It retails at £1300 and apparently any cosmetic changes, faceplate covering etc are covered in that so they sound quite reasonable as i say though it would be great to hear some peoples experiences.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure Steve (Tayste) has one.

I don't own one but I have played it a few times.

Firstly it is possibly the best built amp I've ever tried, everything is customisable including a light up front panel that you can have your name put on :)

The reason I don't own one is it wasn't loud enough for me. Now when you try this amp all you will think is that I am crazy, and you are right. It's not a quiet amp it's just not loud enough for me because I'm putting John Entwistle to shame :rolleyes:

Tonally it's very thick and creamy with a fantastic distortion, I have a Mesa Boogie 400+ and I had a Trace Elliot V6 when I tried the GT200. Tonally it's better than both, less hiss, wider range of tone that the V6.

I would really like to own one but at the moment my Mesa's (400+ and Strategy 400+ 900w's of tube power) are what I use to gig, if that need ever changes then GT200 will be my first stop to go on top of my Matamp 8x10 and 4x10.

While you're there ask him about what he said to Gary Moore, that's my fav story.

I'd go for it.

I went with Orange....but I do like what Matamp does. It will look awesome customised.

Those 200W....for me....are Orange/Matamp tube watts....and although you might not think thats loud...its is VERY loud....especially if you like a proper cranked grindy fuzzy bass sound.

Pair it with the right cab, tonal bliss.

Im a big fan of old school tube amps, and my Orange competely destroys a Ampeg Classic for weight, looks, and tone.

Just my opinion! But then again, I bought a tube amp as I wanted tube grind...not lot loads of headroom.

Very loud bands like Converge/Every Time I Die use Orange AD200s through 8x10s...and they play decent sized venues.

:)

I had a custom Matamp made for me, so if you ever see a GTV-TC which was green and red, that was mine, haha. I didn't like the sound of it, but it was well made. I got it years ago, delivery and build time was longer then they said, but I would expect that with anything custom. I can't remember the 2 blokes names, but to tell the truth, the one who seemed to do the actual amp building (not cabinets) always put me off calling as he would always be pretty moody, but, they definitely know what they are doing and like I said build quality was very good. I think with the bass amp it will be easier to know what you will actually get.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='509044' date='Jun 9 2009, 02:16 PM']I had a custom Matamp made for me, so if you ever see a GTV-TC which was green and red, that was mine, haha. I didn't like the sound of it, but it was well made. I got it years ago, delivery and build time was longer then they said, but I would expect that with anything custom. I can't remember the 2 blokes names, but to tell the truth, the one who seemed to do the actual amp building (not cabinets) always put me off calling as he would always be pretty moody, but, they definitely know what they are doing and like I said build quality was very good. I think with the bass amp it will be easier to know what you will actually get.

[/quote]

You might mean Jeff, he's a proper Yorkshire bloke so he just appears to be moody :)

I have a great laugh with him and I'm a 24 year old with a stupid haircut :rolleyes:

In regards to volume. I said they aren't loud enough for me and when you hear them you'll think I'm deaf, (I'm 1/2 deaf :lol:)

They are plenty loud

These are better built than the Orange heads :D which we won't get into the country where they are built.

Matamp are seriously sick bass amps

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='509051' date='Jun 9 2009, 02:24 PM']You might mean Jeff, he's a proper Yorkshire bloke so he just appears to be moody :)

I have a great laugh with him and I'm a 24 year old with a stupid haircut :rolleyes:

In regards to volume. I said they aren't loud enough for me and when you hear them you'll think I'm deaf, (I'm 1/2 deaf :lol:)

They are plenty loud

These are better built than the Orange heads :D which we won't get into the country where they are built.

Matamp are seriously sick bass amps[/quote]

Agreed on how good they are. You need to take a look inside the Orange heads...as much as they are more mass produced, they are so clean and precisely made its unreal. Plus...I mean the colour is so f***ing cool !

[quote name='Musicman20' post='509064' date='Jun 9 2009, 02:34 PM']Agreed on how good they are. You need to take a look inside the Orange heads...as much as they are more mass produced, they are so clean and precisely made its unreal. Plus...I mean the colour is so f***ing cool ![/quote]

Yeah I wouldn't mind a look, but for the price when it comes down to mass produced and hand made custom I'd always go the Handmade custom route when the money is the same.

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='509069' date='Jun 9 2009, 02:36 PM']Yeah I wouldn't mind a look, but for the price when it comes down to mass produced and hand made custom I'd always go the Handmade custom route when the money is the same.[/quote]

Oh I agree...£1300 is retail of them both I think.

Anyways, Id have either. Id look at Matamp for sure...and in the future no doubt ill get a custom one :)

Edited by Musicman20

Ok so this isnt an Orange or Matamp amp....but this gives you an idea of the kinda distortion these amps are naturally capable of when you push the gain right up...and hence get a lot more watts.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n7z0G7jt7w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n7z0G7jt7w[/url]

I want an Emperor Cab!

Hi, thanks for all the replys and sorry i havnt commented yet, ive been out all day. The matamp is sounding very tempting, my primary worry was the power of the amp but the fellow on the phone said that they were 200 clean watts and 300 distorted and i have no quarrels with power tube distortion :). I also love the look of that matamp posted by 'thedontcarebear' and if i decide to bite the bullet i may have that as the theme.

Also when i was on the phone i mentioned that my mate who plays guitar may also be interested in what they have to offer and was told that if i brought our drummer to there is a kit at matamp and we could crank all the gear up to get an idea for how loud it goes and what it sounds like so if nothing else its gonna be a hell of a day out :rolleyes:

With everyones responses and depending on wether it trumps my v8 for tone i think it is going to be very hard to resist!

In interest of symmetry does anyone have any experience and opinions on the matamp cabs too?

A guys is selling a few on here.

As most people dont favour the old-school heavy cabs much on here, they might not get a massive vote...but the Matamp cabs probably seriously kick arse. They will sound nice n chunky...plus no doubt you can customise.

An 8x10/6x10 is a good idea as well.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='509404' date='Jun 9 2009, 07:17 PM']A guys is selling a few on here.

As most people dont favour the old-school heavy cabs much on here, they might not get a massive vote...but the Matamp cabs probably seriously kick arse. They will sound nice n chunky...plus no doubt you can customise.

An 8x10/6x10 is a good idea as well.[/quote]

Hi thanks for flagging them up. There tempting but im would probably buy a new set so i can choose my own coverings to match with whatever i chose for the head if i did. That all said i cant see myself parting with my aguilars though i will definitely have a bit of a experiment when im at the showroom, the 2x15 they mentioned on the phone has me very curious.

[quote name='Sean.Robinson' post='509512' date='Jun 9 2009, 08:35 PM']Hi thanks for flagging them up. There tempting but im would probably buy a new set so i can choose my own coverings to match with whatever i chose for the head if i did. That all said i cant see myself parting with my aguilars though i will definitely have a bit of a experiment when im at the showroom, the 2x15 they mentioned on the phone has me very curious.[/quote]

Keep the Aggies :)....just collect loads!!!!

2 x 15 Matamp = destruction!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='509026' date='Jun 9 2009, 02:00 PM']I'd go for it.

I went with Orange....but I do like what Matamp does. It will look awesome customised.

Those 200W....for me....are Orange/Matamp tube watts....and although you might not think thats loud...its is VERY loud....especially if you like a proper cranked grindy fuzzy bass sound.

Pair it with the right cab, tonal bliss.

Im a big fan of old school tube amps, and my Orange competely destroys a Ampeg Classic for weight, looks, and tone.

Just my opinion! But then again, I bought a tube amp as I wanted tube grind...not lot loads of headroom.

Very loud bands like Converge/Every Time I Die use Orange AD200s through 8x10s...and they play decent sized venues.

:)[/quote]

from my experience matamp and orange are miles apart, the orange cabs i tried were terrible and the AD200 has been recording at only putting out 160watts out of 4Xkt88s (they should do atleast 200)

The matamp gt200 is probably one of the best bass heads i've heard though will do from hi fi clean to svt grind to massive doom fuzz.

i still don't get what kind of venues you guys get to play where you can crank 200watt heads to full without the sound guy bitching.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='509520' date='Jun 9 2009, 08:40 PM']Keep the Aggies :)....just collect loads!!!!

2 x 15 Matamp = destruction![/quote]

Haha id love to, cabs around the living room trumps pictures on the wall, ornaments or plants anyday :rolleyes:

[quote name='umph' post='509621' date='Jun 9 2009, 10:00 PM']from my experience matamp and orange are miles apart, the orange cabs i tried were terrible and the AD200 has been recording at only putting out 160watts out of 4Xkt88s (they should do atleast 200)

The matamp gt200 is probably one of the best bass heads i've heard though will do from hi fi clean to svt grind to massive doom fuzz.

i still don't get what kind of venues you guys get to play where you can crank 200watt heads to full without the sound guy bitching.[/quote]

Sounds good the general consensus seems to be they are versatile heads which is very attractive. I dont think i personally would ever need all these watts its simply paranoia that it could one day be inadequate when parting with £1300 i think.

[quote name='umph' post='509621' date='Jun 9 2009, 10:00 PM']from my experience matamp and orange are miles apart, the orange cabs i tried were terrible and the AD200 has been recording at only putting out 160watts out of 4Xkt88s (they should do atleast 200)

i still don't get what kind of venues you guys get to play where you can crank 200watt heads to full without the sound guy bitching.[/quote]

We all have our own opinions! There is always a divide on issues with Orange/Matamp. Mine definitely does not only put out 160W...probably as its brand new and in full working order.

Believe me, I spent ages checking on the Orange stuff and making sure it right. After heaps of people on here and TBass went on about how good it is, and the same with the hardcore bands I like, it seemed the choice for me. If Converge/ETID use them, they have to be good. And I know for a fact ETID do not get it given to them as I spoke to their bassist a few months back.

There will be a difference in tone...as always. Ive heard bad reviews on Matamp cabs in the past....but I dont take any notice of it until i A/B them. They seem solid, but the Orange 1x15 got rave reviews from Tom B who reviews for Bass Gear Mag (think its this one). He did a 1x15 shootout and the Orange did extremely well. The Orange cabs are made for the Orange head...to me they do an awesome job...slaying a Ampeg 410E/15 easily. Especially with attention to detail and build quality.

That, and the awesome customer service Orange gave me, made my choices for me!

But...I would love a Matamp as well..!