Why become a member? ×

Matamp GT200 to buy or not to buy?

Sean.Robinson

Well I own a Matamp 4x10 and 8x10, I originally went with the intention of buying 2 2x15's, but the 8x10 just won me out I have the 2nd one he's made of the new design.

The 8x10 was so good I bought the 4x10 with out ever hearing one or him ever making one in this design before on the promise that it is 1/2 the sound of the 8x10.

Well if you put the 4x10 in a corner it can get as loud as the 8x10, it's actually more aggressive sounding when really pumping power.

The 2x15 is good but its not as big and thumpy as I expected.

I sold an Ashdown ABM 8x10 with the old (better) Celestions, 2 EA CXL112's and a EA NM410. Either cab just stomps all over those.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='509642' date='Jun 9 2009, 10:18 PM']We all have our own opinions! There is always a divide on issues with Orange/Matamp. Mine definitely does not only put out 160W...probably as its brand new and in full working order.

Believe me, I spent ages checking on the Orange stuff and making sure it right. After heaps of people on here and TBass went on about how good it is, and the same with the hardcore bands I like, it seemed the choice for me. If Converge/ETID use them, they have to be good. And I know for a fact ETID do not get it given to them as I spoke to their bassist a few months back.

There will be a difference in tone...as always. Ive heard bad reviews on Matamp cabs in the past....but I dont take any notice of it until i A/B them. They seem solid, but the Orange 1x15 got rave reviews from Tom B who reviews for Bass Gear Mag (think its this one). He did a 1x15 shootout and the Orange did extremely well. The Orange cabs are made for the Orange head...to me they do an awesome job...slaying a Ampeg 410E/15 easily. Especially with attention to detail and build quality.

That, and the awesome customer service Orange gave me, made my choices for me!

But...I would love a Matamp as well..![/quote]
you'd be suprised how loud 160watts is the head i use atm has 6 el34s putting out 150watts and thats more than enough to drown out any drummer or guitarist with ease

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='509668' date='Jun 9 2009, 10:32 PM']Also so we are clear watts is not a measurement of volume :rolleyes:[/quote]

Haha yes though i figured i should save myself after re reading my post :lol: not that it makes much sense now but i know what i was trying to get across :)

sounds good about the 8x10 too that was the second thing i was curious about, problem would be transporting one though.

Edited by Sean.Robinson

It's easier to move than the 4x10, can get it in most cars with the seats folded flat.

But if size is an issue the 4x10 is just as loud and big sounding, but because it's ported if you're on a big stage like a festival with nothing around it, it can sound weaker, this isn't an issue for many people though :rolleyes:

8x10 is consistently awesome 4x10 is awesome 99.9% of the time :)

• 3 weeks later...

i don't get why orange aren't doing an 8x10. i mean having 2 4x10's doesn't look as good and 1x15's sound rubbish for bass especially if you're playing on the harder side. i know if i played bass in a band again we'd sound like Doomriders and i'd have a matamp head and 8x10. i also think mixing speaker sizes is wrong and so are 12's. strong opinion i guess but 8x10 be it mathmatically wrong apparently sounds just right. plus it's easy to move around

[quote name='nash' post='523912' date='Jun 25 2009, 05:27 PM']i don't get why orange aren't doing an 8x10. i mean having 2 4x10's doesn't look as good and 1x15's sound rubbish for bass especially if you're playing on the harder side. i know if i played bass in a band again we'd sound like Doomriders and i'd have a matamp head and 8x10. i also think mixing speaker sizes is wrong and so are 12's. strong opinion i guess but 8x10 be it mathmatically wrong apparently sounds just right. plus it's easy to move around[/quote]

They are....its been revealed....check the google...pics of it from the recent shows somewhere.

Probably weighs too much.

I love a 1x15...now Ive got a decent one...I can feel a hell of a lot more bass.

I NEVER understood 12,s, until I tried Aguilar. Punchy, gutsy, and nice n bassy.

Doomriders use an Ampeg 8x10 and they use Nates (as he is obviously the Converge Bass Player) Orange AD200b. Thats the latest pics I saw anyway.

I f***ing love Doomriders.

If I went 8x10 again id go Aguilar...their 8x10s have so much more low end and still have punch. The Isis videos show how ace the Aguilars are.

Edited by Musicman20

I have two Matamp 4x10's which sound and look incredible. Had them custom made a couple years ago.
I used a Matamp Green, one of the first of the new ones, on my bands last tour as my VBA 400 packed in. It sounded LUSH, but again, I felt it didnt have the power I wanted. wasnt as loud as the VBA. (which is understanable as the green was 200 the VBA 400) but the TONE was amazing.
If they ever make a 400w amp Im straight there, till then Im sticking with my VBA.

man i'd like to try the Aguilar 8x10 for sure.

i saw DR in Le Pub in newport and they were the loudest band ever. they were using tortuga's gear which just happened to be an orange bass head, sunn model t RI guitar amp and nate used a jcm 800 i think. awesome sounding. i remember gareth from ffaf telling me the Aggy stuff is top. i like the choc brown tolex.

the only 15 i've like was one in my trace v type combo that i sold to merton. and i toured with a weird marshall 4x12 but never got on with it. i just love 8x10's

[quote name='nash' post='523958' date='Jun 25 2009, 06:11 PM']man i'd like to try the Aguilar 8x10 for sure.

i saw DR in Le Pub in newport and they were the loudest band ever. they were using tortuga's gear which just happened to be an orange bass head, sunn model t RI guitar amp and nate used a jcm 800 i think. awesome sounding. i remember gareth from ffaf telling me the Aggy stuff is top. i like the choc brown tolex.

the only 15 i've like was one in my trace v type combo that i sold to merton. and i toured with a weird marshall 4x12 but never got on with it. i just love 8x10's[/quote]

Yeah I saw FFAF were using Aguilar. They seem to be pulling the rug under Ampeg at the moment. Very tactical now Ampeg are having a rocky patch.

Yeah im the ame with the Marshall 4x12s...never did it for me. That put me off 12s. But...I got coaxed into trying Aguilar 12s....wow....try em out :) The Choc Brown is uber cool...cannot wait to get mine (hopefully this weekend :rolleyes: ).

[quote name='man_at_arms84' post='523957' date='Jun 25 2009, 06:10 PM']I have two Matamp 4x10's which sound and look incredible. Had them custom made a couple years ago.
I used a Matamp Green, one of the first of the new ones, on my bands last tour as my VBA 400 packed in. It sounded LUSH, but again, I felt it didnt have the power I wanted. wasnt as loud as the VBA. (which is understanable as the green was 200 the VBA 400) but the TONE was amazing.
If they ever make a 400w amp Im straight there, till then Im sticking with my VBA.[/quote]

Gibson grabber + tubes = tone for ever. DOOOOOOOM

I like the look of the Matamp 4x10s :)

Wow!

Sunn... :)

Tonight, I played with the Orange AD200b for the first time where the guitarists were nearly full whack (so thats two Marshall 60W heads into two 4x12 cabs). This amp kills....I first was only using the 1x15 as I couldnt be arsed to take the whole stack. It blew me away...SOOO much bass push.

Then I borrowed the other bands Ampeg 4x10E to go with it. INSANE volumes...and that was on about 2.5 out of 10 on the volume and gain half way up....and no PA.

So...200W of Orange Watts is INCREDIBLY loud. Im very impressed. For the first time ever I could feel and hear the bass properly.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='524269' date='Jun 25 2009, 11:23 PM']Wow!

Sunn... :)

Tonight, I played with the Orange AD200b for the first time where the guitarists were nearly full whack (so thats two Marshall 60W heads into two 4x12 cabs). This amp kills....I first was only using the 1x15 as I couldnt be arsed to take the whole stack. It blew me away...SOOO much bass push.

Then I borrowed the other bands Ampeg 4x10E to go with it. INSANE volumes...and that was on about 2.5 out of 10 on the volume and gain half way up....and no PA.

So...200W of Orange Watts is INCREDIBLY loud. Im very impressed. For the first time ever I could feel and hear the bass properly.[/quote]
i don't understand why people need 400watt valve heads

[quote name='umph' post='525996' date='Jun 27 2009, 03:20 PM']i don't understand why people need 400watt valve heads[/quote]

Dude, not Doom.

Probably bottom endier sound with the down tuning, but you need lots of cabs to really take it, suspect most running 400w of valves doesn't have the cabs for it.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='525999' date='Jun 27 2009, 03:24 PM']Dude, not Doom.

Probably bottom endier sound with the down tuning, but you need lots of cabs to really take it, suspect most running 400w of valves doesn't have the cabs for it.[/quote]
yeah blates good for doom, more cabs is a better solution though in my opinion ;o