Why become a member? ×

Five string Fender Jazz question

jakenewmanbass

Hi all, I have a gig coming up in Germany and to save on flying my Alembic (as I don't like to fly it without a seat) the promoter is providing me with a five string Fender Jazz (some of the parts go down to low C)
Any one played a five string Jazz?
What are they like?
Jake

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='508987' date='Jun 9 2009, 01:11 PM']Hi all, I have a gig coming up in Germany and to save on flying my Alembic (as I don't like to fly it without a seat) the promoter is providing me with a five string Fender Jazz (some of the parts go down to low C)
Any one played a five string Jazz?
What are they like?
Jake[/quote]

Bought a Fender Jazz 5 10 weeks ago and have played it every night since. A 5 string is a bit of an animal and does take some getting use to but well worth the effort. If like me you normally play a 4 string your first problem will be to be sure you are playing the correct string, more often in my case playing the higher string in some cases you may get away with this as a 4th higher may not sound too bad. The surrest way to overcome this is to move your picking hand and rest your thumb on the string below the one you want to play, takes a bit of getting the hang of this method but this can be practiced on your 4 string before flying off to Germany. As far as reading the lower notes I found no problem as was use to reading the out of range 5 notes up an octace. And as far as playing the higher notes on the B string, it is often better to stay clear of these until you are familier with having the fifth string. Finally having lived in Germany for several years I am sure you will find that all you hear about the locals is untrue for the majority, good women, good food and good beer, what more could a muso want.

Jake is a very accomplished 5 string player and has a particularly gorgeous Alembic 5.

I think he was more looking for some thoughts about how a Fender jazz 5 played and sounded compared to other well know 5's.

Maybe stuff like how the low B sounds etc.

N.B. Only saying this as I'm guessing Jake is gigging tonight and would appreciate any other thoughts about the playability and sounds etc. :)

[quote name='wal4string' post='509614' date='Jun 9 2009, 09:59 PM']Bought a Fender Jazz 5 10 weeks ago and have played it every night since. A 5 string is a bit of an animal and does take some getting use to but well worth the effort. If like me you normally play a 4 string your first problem will be to be sure you are playing the correct string, more often in my case playing the higher string in some cases you may get away with this as a 4th higher may not sound too bad. The surrest way to overcome this is to move your picking hand and rest your thumb on the string below the one you want to play, takes a bit of getting the hang of this method but this can be practiced on your 4 string before flying off to Germany. As far as reading the lower notes I found no problem as was use to reading the out of range 5 notes up an octace. And as far as playing the higher notes on the B string, it is often better to stay clear of these until you are familier with having the fifth string. Finally having lived in Germany for several years I am sure you will find that all you hear about the locals is untrue for the majority, good women, good food and good beer, what more could a muso want.[/quote]
Thanks Mate, as Molan pointed out I've been playing a 5er since 1987 and it's more about what a Fender 5 plays like. I have played a few Five strings and have what I consider to be the worlds best in the shape of an Alembic five. When it comes to playing in Germany I was lucky enough to tour Germany (and the rest of Europe) with Ike Willis (from Frank Zappas band) in the early nineties and have played there on many occasions since, I like the beer, food and people very much and am looking forward to another visit.
So still inviting thoughts on the Fender 5 although tbh honest I'm not that concerned as I have the pad already and there are only about fifteen bars in the whole show below E.

Thanks

Jake

Edited by jakesbass

I suppose the biggest risk is not so much a flabby low B as the reasonably high chance the particular Fender in question is a Friday afternoon special.

I tried a Jazz V once in a shop, a while back, didn't like it (and I do like Jazzes) but it could've just been a bad one.

I say take your Alembic, you clearly take pride in your professional integrity so you'll want to be sure of a good sound, and like you said you're working every night this week so times can't be so tough. :)

And I'm smiling at the thought of it having its own seat and enjoying complementary in-flight gin and tonic. :rolleyes:

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='509785' date='Jun 10 2009, 12:28 AM']I suppose the biggest risk is not so much a flabby low B[/quote]
I had a feeling I'd heard these words before which is where my question was coming from but I wanted to hear others views before I gave my own
[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='509785' date='Jun 10 2009, 12:28 AM']as the reasonably high chance the particular Fender in question is a Friday afternoon special.[/quote]
I would expect a decent instrument so hope that it's not too high a risk...

Thanks

I played one a while back and simply couldn't get on with it, the B string was not well defined, and the E suffered at the expense of the extra string, something that really annoys me about bad 5 strings. Played it back to back with a Lakland Joe Osborn 5 and a Darryl Jones 5, with limited alterations to the Ashdown combo's EQ I tried it through and there wasn't much of a comparison IMO.

However, having said that, I'm a big Jazz bass fan, and I reckon I'd just struck upon a particularly bad one. I also had limited time with the bass, but I am of the opinion that a good bass can just be picked up and played with little to no adjustment. If it's the Deluxe Jazz, then I hear those things are supposed to be pretty great too, and benefit from the onboard EQ that they have.

Hope that isn't too much of a downer for you, and I hope the gig goes well! I'm off to Hamburg in two weeks or so to play as well, I can't wait! :)

I've had three Fender fives over the years:
1 - American Deluxe ash in cherry sunburst. Lovely sound, really aggressive and ballsy and recorded well... except the B which sounded totally different to the other strings (with either a tapered or normal B ). Kept if for a year or so and moved it on.
2 - American Standard in 3TS (not the new ones) - again a lovely bass, made in 1995, great tone and a decent B-string, but the five in a line headstock made balance a bit dodgy as it was a particularly light B-string.
3 - American Deluxe in 3TS with maple board - sounded OK but tbh none of the recent deluxes I've played sound that good or look very well made. Light, but 3-piece body with sunburst finish, one badly-fitted and bent tuner and a nut 2-3mm too high. On a £1300 bass? B string was very poor, dark and ill-defined even with Fender's stock tapered B (although I don't rate Fender's strings anyway).

Each of these basses would have been fantastic as a four. The fact is that [i]some[/i] Fender fives may well have a decent B but if you've played a Lakland, Sadowsky, , hell even a Stingray, then Fender are left wanting. If you find one that does it for you, good luck. I get to see a lot of basses through the Gallery and there are any number of five strings out there that work as a five, rather than feeling like a four string made a bit wider. I'd really like Fender to make a killer 5 (the Korean Jazz 24 was the closest I've tried in terms of a balanced B ) as paying the extra for a clone doesn't make sense to me, but if you're picky about the B and even balance of tone across the strings then I don't think you'll be satisfied with a Fender.

Then again, as you're only playing it for a gig or two you'd hardly notice I expect :)

Edited by XB26354

[quote name='XB26354' post='509902' date='Jun 10 2009, 09:19 AM']Then again, as you're only playing it for a gig or two you'd hardly notice I expect ;)[/quote]

Your whole post was very illuminating, but your last line is what bears most relevance to the situation so thanks for that :D .
I really would like to take the Alembic because the tone across the range is awesome and the low B as tight as a tight thing.
As it is a just a couple of dates I'm sure it will be fine, but it does make me think I need some sort of solution for flying the Alembic which I have yet to do. Having flown loads with a double and in recent times EUB (because the double has become a nigtmare in the recent travel climate) I am all to familiar with the diabolical service that is given to even the most fragile gear. I once stuck my head through the plastic curtains of the carousel at Manchester airport to see a handler (read c***) pull one end of my double bass case off a trolly allowing the other end to smash down really hard on the floor. Needless to say I ripped his head off verbally and all he said was... "sorry mate I didn't see the fragile stickers" well I suppose he can be forgiven there were only about 250 on the case :) :rolleyes: :lol:

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='509797' date='Jun 10 2009, 01:14 AM']Hope that isn't too much of a downer for you, and I hope the gig goes well! I'm off to Hamburg in two weeks or so to play as well, I can't wait! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Not too much of a downer mate... so thanks :)
Have a great time in Hamburg I've played there quite a few times, it's a great city,full of life and great food, beer, culture etc etc

I'd suggest a secondhand Epic 5er - they can be had for £700 - £1000 used. Not a Series bass but very good all the same, and a lot less to worry about for flying. And then you don't have to deal with setup, strings and other variables when you get there.

Jake...

I had a Deluxe Jazz 5 hired for me out in Berlin about a month ago.
The B string was a bit floppy, and the whole thing was set to a no action.
I Just got the tool kit out, [ take your keys and screw driver ] and it played fine.
The active / pre amp sound is not that great, infact really honky. [ for me ]
I just used my Sans Amp Di..and it all sounded cool.
It wont play like other high end Jazz Basses but will do the job ok.
You will walk away from Germany with a German Beer hangover and think...
F**k, i am not gonna buy one of them... :)

Personally i would be more worried about the German beer hangover
than a 5 stg Fender Jazz. They can really hurt. :rolleyes:

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' post='509995' date='Jun 10 2009, 11:01 AM']Jake...

Personally i would be more worried about the German beer hangover
than a 5 stg Fender Jazz. They can really hurt. :lol:

Garry[/quote]

Garry,
you seem to have a knack of getting to the heart of the matter :rolleyes:
I am a huge weisen beer fan so I expect to be wearing 2 pairs of sunglasses on the way home....
After the gig of course :)

Edited by jakesbass

If i can liberate it from my guitarist I'll have to lend you my baby Zon some time Jake.

It's absolutely tiny but has a huge sound. Would be great to cart around on tour as it's so small & light yet flexible in what you can play with it.

Mine is only a 4 but they do make a 5 as well :)

There are some good ones out there, but more that aren't so good - SR5's and the various lakland 5 strings are far better instruments for similar money.
Saying that, I had a Fender US deluxe J5 for about 3 years and loved it despite the slightly naff low B.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the Fender Jazz was fine, the B was ok but the tone was not as consistent across the range as I would have liked. It was a Mexican Jazz 5 with a rosewood neck and had a tone to die for, really honky and fat.
Here's the gig (in soundcheck) and me with the bass:

[attachment=27505:5185_110...278335_n.jpg]
[attachment=27506:5185_110...926319_n.jpg]

And here is the other gig at the bundespresident palace in Berlin, where they provided a Musicman SR5, which was better made but I hated the way it choked if I dug in.
We played for the Federal President of Germany and his guests at his summer party.

[attachment=27507:5185_110...065408_n.jpg]
[attachment=27508:5185_110...802703_n.jpg]

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='hubrad' post='520718' date='Jun 22 2009, 01:35 PM']Nemmind the gig.. the Weissbier, man, the Weissbier.. how was it? :)

(Glad to hear the gig went well, honest!)[/quote]

Lol.. the weissbier as always went down a treat...
There was a 45 piece Orchestra on with us in the second gig, (Frankfurt Philharmonie) three lovely bass players... was great fun. Click track, in ear monitors and rhythm section.
And to open an old debate, If I couldn't read I wouldn't have been able to do it... :rolleyes:

Edited by jakesbass