Why become a member? ×

help with Starlight by Muse

gary mac

Hi.

I'm working my way through learning a new set for some upcoming depps.

One of the numbers is Starlight by Muse, which has been quite an enjoyable challenge, mostly due to the unusual chord progessions.

Anyway just wondering about making my sound a bit more authentic, so it would be appreciated if someone could shed some light on how the bass sound is achieved on the record. Just curious really, as not sure that I can justify the expense of an effects unit for one number.

All the best Gary.

hmm, I think the general internet consensus is 69 russian muffs, a roland synth, an akai deep impact and a clean trak mixed in.
OR
79 amps:
3 overclocking in a fridge to stop them exploding
30 tube amps mod'd to produce more gain than is possible
34 russian muffs running into a seperate amp each
2 clean amps
9 roland synthesizers running in parallel
1 akai deep impact going into an unknown amp

Or something like that....

[quote name='iamapirate' post='508999' date='Jun 9 2009, 01:20 PM']hmm, I think the general internet consensus is 69 russian muffs, a roland synth, an akai deep impact and a clean trak mixed in.
OR
79 amps:
2 clean amps

Or something like that....[/quote]

I always love it when someone brings up the number of big muffs thing. So funny.

[quote name='iamapirate' post='508999' date='Jun 9 2009, 01:20 PM']hmm, I think the general internet consensus is 69 russian muffs, a roland synth, an akai deep impact and a clean trak mixed in.
OR
79 amps:
2 clean amps

Or something like that....[/quote]
to be fair that's pretty damn close

When I've played it with a band I've used an octave down pedal, with some clean signal blended in, running into a fuzz pedal, also with some clean signal blended in. My Boss OC-3 octaver and EHX Bass Big Muff fuzz do a great job of emulating this sound, using my Jazz bass.

Great song to play i think! The whole bassline is actually played an octave higher on the fretboard than it sounds, but the octaver is obviously on to bring it down.

Hope that helps.

I play it through an Ibanez PD-7 overdrive and it's close enough for me. To be honest, I played it clean at the last gig and we all agreed it was so much better. I must admit though I'm not a fan of bass overdrive generally, I use it on that song and on Grounds For Divorce by Elbow but I'd rather not use it at all.

We tried to play this a couple of months ago and I had a great sound from my zoom multi effects pedal. Even the drummer said it was the right sound! But it got put on the back burner.

Fast forward to this week and we are gonna do the song. Can I remember the patch number? Naw!! And I can`t seem to get it in the house as I`m playing at really low volume unlike in the studio and have the memory span of a goldfish. So, thanks Gary, this thread is giving me some pointers.

Jez

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='509773' date='Jun 10 2009, 12:12 AM']I bet the MXR Bass Blowtorch would do that really easily. The onboard EQ makes fitting it into your band mix easier than most fuzzes too.[/quote]

It does indeed. It [i]almost[/i] nails the sound, and I'd recommend it for anyone who needs a one pedal solution to get close to both the Hysteria and Starlight sounds.

I've just started playing this with a covers band. Never used any fuzz or overdrive on bass before so i just cranked the overdrive up on my roland DB-500 and it sounded quite good with the bridge pickup on my spector...not perfect though!

I'm planning on getting an MXR bass d.i.+ and using the distortion on that as it has the blend feature and I could do with a good DI preamp to get a consistent tone to the PA when using different amps.