Why become a member? ×

Single Cut basses - Why?

wazz

[quote name='ste_m3' post='54049' date='Sep 1 2007, 11:54 PM']I thought it was something to do with having a better balance when sat down? dont ask me where i heard that, grapevine methinks.[/quote]

Mine has great Balance when sitting down...
and plenty of sustain - but that could be a combination of neck thru and the woods..
Plus i have a really tight 'B' string..which is unusual for a 34 " scale..

Then again , it might all be a load of B.......s...!!
And its Just in your fingers....
Dont ask me where i heard that.......... :)

Garry

[url="http://www.cbbasses.com/bassespcb-041226.htm"]The Parallel Chamber Bass[/url]

"The “Parallel Chamber” bass is my design to bring out the great character of the electric bass. By having four small varying chambers instead of the normal, one large chamber of a semi-hollow body. The chambers accentuate the midrange of the bass, which brings out the expressiveness and responsiveness of the instrument, especially that of a fretless. The chambers vary in size to cover the entire midrange of the bass, from the growling lows to the mwahing highs!
Another part of the design involves there being matched acoustic tops to each chamber. The four chambers run parallel under what becomes four acoustic tops vibrating and amplifying the frequencies of the chamber below."

I was quite keen on having one built but the single-cut thing was a problem for my chordal approach...

Alex

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='53938' date='Sep 1 2007, 06:22 PM']let's not forget the fact that he made them 1 semitone short of a 4 octave range.[/quote]

Yeah that really bugs me with my Jazz - at least he redeemed himself with the Stingray :).

Personally single cuts don't feel comfortable to me. I have played 2 Shukers (the doodle included), and though very nice, aren't for me.

[quote name='Machines' post='54681' date='Sep 3 2007, 12:24 PM']Yeah that really bugs me with my Jazz - at least he redeemed himself with the Stingray :huh:.

Personally single cuts don't feel comfortable to me. I have played 2 Shukers (the doodle included), and though very nice, aren't for me.[/quote]

I really wanna try one out. I mean, do you mean uncomfortable in wearing it, or in playing it.

At the moment I'm dreaming to take out custom job, a Fender-eque Jazz but with a singlecut body. Maybe Red with a rosewood board, pearl inlays and matching headstock. Yummy! :)

For me there are some good looking single-cuts and some horrible looking ones.

Just as there are some good-looking double cut basses and some horrible ones too!

I've yet to find a single cut that wasn't a Gibson Triumph Bass (and probably doesn't really count as a single cut bass in the current meaning of the phrase) that felt comfortable to play due to my guitarist thumb technique, but that doesn't stop me looking (and having GAS for) the good looking ones.