Why become a member? ×

Good gig venues near you?

chris_pokkuri

Hi,

I'm going to be organising gigs for my band throughout the UK. We've stuck to the South Wales area for quite some time but want to expand everywhere. Can you give me a list of good venues near you. We play originals only, the sound has been described as similar to a mixture between tool and the smashing pumpkins with a bit of opeth, so a Jazz cafe would be unsuitable.

If alot of people reply to this it could be a good reference for people who are looking for venues to play in areas unfamilier to them.

Cheers for any help,
Chris.

There are quite a few good venues in Cardiff - Clwb Ifor Bach, Barfly, Buffalo Bar, 10ft Tall, the university union. theres more i'll try and remember them.

There is a great new venue in Bridgend called Hobos which is very good and has quickly become established, I go down most weekends.

Some venues in Newport - TJ's, Le Pub, Meze Lounge, Riverside Tavern.

A bit further west you've got places in Neath and Swansea like The Duke, Sin City, Bar Co, Monkey Bar.

A great venue to play is The Masons in Llanelli. Small but very friendly, we played there on Friday and it went really well. Good crowd and the owner is a really nice guy.

Good small venues I've played that would suit you...

Wolverhampton Little Civic (closed down last week, but I believe they have a replacement in the main Civic now)
Birmingham Academy 3 (moving in September though, not sure how the new place is set up)
Birmingham Barfly
Bedford Esquires
Dudley JBs
Stoke Sugarmill
York Fibbers

Plenty more but that's all I can remember off the top of my head, played some good places in Liverpool and Bristol but no idea what they were called! All of the Barfly and Academy venues are a good place to start though if you're asking for support slots.

Cheers for your list RussFM.

[quote name='dangerboy' post='508279' date='Jun 8 2009, 03:45 PM']What's your MySpace?[/quote]

We've recently had some line up changes and changed the name and everything. The website isn't quite set up yet and we are planning on recording a demo to go on it in the next couple of weeks. I'll let you know when its ready.

Anyone else got any venue suggestions? I'm looking for gig venues over the whole UK.

[quote name='chris_pokkuri' post='508821' date='Jun 9 2009, 09:42 AM']Cheers for your list RussFM.

We've recently had some line up changes and changed the name and everything. The website isn't quite set up yet and we are planning on recording a demo to go on it in the next couple of weeks. I'll let you know when its ready.

Anyone else got any venue suggestions? I'm looking for gig venues over the whole UK.[/quote]

the square in harlow is a great venue to play at

The few places to play in Worcester are on [url="http://markhoy.blogspot.com/2009/06/live-music-in-worcester-wr1.html"]my blog[/url]. [url="http://www.marrsbar.co.uk/"]The Marrs Barrs[/url] is the biggest/ full-time venue.

If you're going to do a big tour then I can recommend:

Barhouse, Chelmsford, Essex (http://www.barhouse.net)
The Twist, Colchester, Essex (http://www.thetwist.co.uk)
Chinnerys, Southend-on-Sea, Essex (http://www.chinnerys.co.uk)

• 3 weeks later...

If you're ever in Aberdeen i totally suggest trying to get a gig at the Moorings bar. I can probs give you the contact details if you like.
Only do gigs on Saturday nights though.

They also have a flat that you can stay in if you're out of town.

The sound is awesome too. House bass amp is an Ampeg SVT 2 pro.

Sheffield:

West Street Live is probably the best venue for out of towners. Their promoters can be found at www.myspace.com/mentholmanpromo and they are thoroughly decent people!
There's also Grapes, Boardwalk and Corp - fantastic venues but not a great deal of point unless you put the night on yourself and get some local bands to play and promote it.

You could maybe try the Harley, Red house, Moorfoot Tavern as well, but I have no experience of gigging there.

Good luck with it! I'm sorting something out for our lot for October so this thread is mega useful!

T

• 4 weeks later...