Why become a member? ×

Hello from Reading

shiekaa

Hi there everyone, I'm a 18 year old bassist, been playing for a good part of 7 years. I love to play metal, could spend all day doing picking exercises with a drummer or just by my self ha!

I actually used to prefer learning about music theory to playing so i spent a while when i sort of became a theory hermit and wanted to learn everything so paid for just theory lessons for half a year!

I also enjoy learning everything I can from other people, everyone can teach you something!

Currently in a band that is recording and will post up the myspace when finished.

I use an Ibanez soundgear 5 string (looking to upgrade :) )

I use an Ampeg SVT2PRO head with two Ampeg B410HE's

nice to meet all of you!

Edited by shiekaa

Hi and welcome :)
I'm not a Reading bassist as such, but I lived there for the first 23 years of my life (well I lived in Shinfield actually, just the other side of the M4) and my dad still lives in Sonning, so does that count? :rolleyes:

[quote name='stevefletch59' post='506202' date='Jun 5 2009, 11:13 AM']Welcome to the forum, thats not a bad amp for a 17 year old, well for anyone really ![/quote]

You need to be that sort of age to be abe to lift one :)

I just about qualify under the RG postcodes as well - Henley is, confusingly, actually in Oxfordshire but has a Reading postcode!

Last time I lived in Reading (well up St Peter's Hill in Caversham but pretty close!) was when I was 18 as it happens - God that was a long time ago. . .

Wecome to Basschat. I was born in Woodley and then lived in Earley. I went to Forest Grammar School where les Hurdle was one year behind me. Who Les? Well he went on to become a good session player on bass. He was on Art Garfunkel's Brighteyes and did Donna Summer's first Disco LP for Giorgio Moroder.

I was one of Reading's first bass guitarists, in 1960. I played an instrument my young brother made for me. Because he didn't have the skills to fret it I played it fretless, so it was certainly the first fretless for miles. Then I got an EBO. I remember seeing Jerry Lee Lewis at Olympia Ballroom, The Stones at the Town Hall and a very young Rod Stewart at the Uni. Those were the days.

Enjoy your bass, you've a whole life in front of you - lucky chap!

[quote name='bassace' post='508249' date='Jun 8 2009, 02:50 PM']The Stones at the Town Hall and a very young Rod Stewart at the Uni. Those were the days.[/quote]

Reading Uni was a great rock venue in the late '70's when I lived there. I saw a whole string of people there. Often a bit of an odd gig though becuase everyone used to sit down all the time - lots of head shaking going on but not much body movement, lol.

Hmm Henleys confusing :/

Maybe I should have just said RG postcodes ha!

Reading sure has changed alot from the sounds of things, hopefully more people will discover bass and more bands will be made!

The metal scene in Reading is pretty big though a good few bands have come out from here.

From the sounds of it the other scenes are getting quite big too!

P.S. Being 18 doesen't mean your super strong aha! still weighs a hell of a lot! :)

Edited by shiekaa

I'm also a Reading bassist. I think there are plenty of bass players around here.

[quote]Reading sure has changed alot from the sounds of things, hopefully more people will discover bass and more bands will be made![/quote]

I'm not sure that I agree with you. If I were to sum up the Reading music scene in a nutshell, I'd say that there are more people playing in bands than there are people going to watch bands.

S.P.