Why become a member? ×

Talk To Me About Strings?

Hot Tub

I wanna put a new set of strings on my Cort Artisan B5. It's bog standard with 2 x Bartolini Mk1 soapbars. I'm happy with the thumping bottom end and don't want to lose any of that, but I'd like a bit more mid growl and a bit more top end "zing". I'm comfortable with the tension and overall feel of standard 45, 65, 85, 105, 125, and definitely don't want to go any lighter than that, but would be happy to try a heavier gauge. I like the sound ([i]sic[/i]) of coated strings from a maintenance point of view, but does the coating dull the sound?

Now, bear in mind that I haven't changed the strings on this instrument in 2 years, and I haven't changed the strings on any instrument I've owned in over 20 years, where should I start?

I have no idea what's on it at the moment - it's whatever it was supplied with. So, will I get what I'm looking for with pretty much any new strings, or is there anything to particularly consider or avoid?

As always, thanks for any advice/suggestions.

:)

IMO, you’re well overdue a string change after 2 years let alone 20 :)

New strings will probably give you the growl and zing that you’re looking for, so it’s probably as simple as that. You could try just boiling your strings and seeing if it is a case of the dirty/old strings not being bright enough. As for specific brands, I love the feel and sound of Ernie Ball strings so I’d start there if I were you, but you’re likely to get lots of different advice on here about specific brands being ‘better’ than others – it comes down to personal preference. If the gauge you’ve mentioned feels and sounds good to you then try and get as close to that as possible when experimenting with different brands. It’s also good to experiment with different gauges though – I went through a stage of playing extra light gauge strings because I found I could play really fast, but I snapped so many!

Good luck on your string adventure…

Sorry, as it's slighty OT, but, in the end, it's kinda related to my mind..

And, why I do this publicly - it's not only the mods, whose attention I want to attract, but every-one Basschatter's..

I've just opened General Discussion page, which says (to me), that here we should talk about bass related things, and what do I see?

In first 5 of 7 'hottest' threads we have questions about Amps, Strings, wood re-applying, and Warwick Wax.

Sorry, but don't we have such sections as Amps And Cabs (for backline related stuff..);
Miscellaneous Equipment and Accessories (that [i]clearly [/i]say, we should talk about strings exactly [b]THERE[/b]. Bass 'hyghiene' stuff also included; bass bridges??..)
...and Technical Issues (techy related things about bass)

I'm not trying to offend anyone, or sound rude, but, hey, if I want to talk/read about BadAsses or strings, I go to the appropriate sections and, altogether, I'm expecting others to do the same.. :)

Hey, can I get my coat now?

Cheers,
Faith.

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='Faithless' post='500213' date='May 28 2009, 08:18 PM']Once more, I'm not intending to offend anyone - it's all from me to make Basschat a better place :lol:

Cheers everyone,
Faith.[/quote]

No offence taken mate! You correctly highlighted a valid point; no problem :)

Now tell me what strings you're using, why you like 'em, and what you'd change to if you had to?

:rolleyes:

[quote name='Faithless' post='500177' date='May 28 2009, 07:31 PM']Sorry, as it's slighty OT, but, in the end, it's kinda related to my mind..

And, why I do this publicly - it's not only the mods, whose attention I want to attract, but every-one Basschatter's..

I've just opened General Discussion page, which says (to me), that here we should talk about bass related things, and what do I see?

In first 5 of 7 'hottest' threads we have questions about Amps, Strings, wood re-applying, and Warwick Wax.

Sorry, but don't we have such sections as Amps And Cabs (for backline related stuff..);
Miscellaneous Equipment and Accessories (that [i]clearly [/i]say, we should talk about strings exactly [b]THERE[/b]. Bass 'hyghiene' stuff also included; bass bridges??..)
...and Technical Issues (techy related things about bass)

I'm not trying to offend anyone, or sound rude, but, hey, if I want to talk/read about BadAsses or strings, I go to the appropriate sections and, altogether, I'm expecting others to do the same.. :rolleyes:

Hey, can I get my coat now?

Cheers,
Faith.[/quote]

Faith, if you have a problem with modding on the forum, please take it up via PM to the relevant moderator. That's the correct way to do it. I'm not making a big deal about it. Just trying to point you in the right direction in the future. :)

We have had a few threads in General Bass Discussion about bridges, strings etc that have run quite well in this section of the forum. I have no problem with it staying here really. But being as Hot Tub has asked for it to be moved I will move it.

This thread could have stayed in General Bass discussion though, no problem.

Thanks
John

Ok, back on topic. Try Status Hotwires. I've used them on all my basses for a few years now and they seem to last for ages.

I've always been a fan of nickel Elites, they last well, feel great and have quite a tight feel. I tend to replace them every 6 months or so, since they die down a bit after that and I quite like the "new string" sound. At around £12 a set they're not too much of an expense, compared to £30 or so for a set of DRs. I've heard good things about Ernie Ball strings as well, but never had a reason to try them.

I still use Elites on my 5-string, but I've switched my 4-string Precision over to TI Jazz flats and am loving it. They're a lot looser and a bit lighter than the Elites, but the tone is brilliant. Think the Jamerson/Motown old school Precision sound and you've got the sound of flats. La Bella flats get good reviews too and are supposed to be heavier and tighter, but I like the elasticey feel of the TIs.

I used Status Hotwires for yonks, then tried Warwick Reds for half the money and found that they were definitely better than half as good, in fact I think they are [i]as[/i] good. So have used them ever since. Cheap strings aren't everyones cup of char I know, but then again neither are Elixirs. :)

[quote name='Johngh' post='500404' date='May 29 2009, 01:20 AM']Faith, if you have a problem with modding on the forum, please take it up via PM to the relevant moderator. That's the correct way to do it. I'm not making a big deal about it. Just trying to point you in the right direction in the future. :)

We have had a few threads in General Bass Discussion about bridges, strings etc that have run quite well in this section of the forum. I have no problem with it staying here really. But being as Hot Tub has asked for it to be moved I will move it.

This thread could have stayed in General Bass discussion though, no problem.

Thanks
John[/quote]

Ok, matey, I dig, what you mean, but, I'll repeat it - if I wanted my latter post to be dedicated [i]only [/i]to Mods, I actually would have done [i]so[/i], but it wasn't all dedicated to them, it was also dedicated to ordinary Basschaters, hopefully, other time they make a thread of BadAsses (for e.g.), they think about it once more before posting it in [i]certain [/i]forum section.

Anyway, thanks for you kind suggestion, I'll do it, when I feel a need for this :rolleyes:

But, am I missing something, or you're trying to say, that there is no real difference, where you post particular posts about Strings, for eg., when there's a section ([i]miscellaneous equipment and accessories[/i]), which states [i]clearly[/i], that Strings should be talked [b]there[/b]...

What the hell are those individual forum sections for, then, in the end, eh?

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='Rich' post='500561' date='May 29 2009, 07:44 AM']I used Status Hotwires for yonks, then tried Warwick Reds for half the money and found that they were definitely better than half as good, in fact I think they are [i]as[/i] good. So have used them ever since. Cheap strings aren't everyones cup of char I know, but then again neither are Elixirs. :)[/quote]
I'm using Warwick Yellows, and they seem to be doing fine. Not 100%, but I'm fairly sure they've died a bit in the ~3 months I've had them. decent strings, nowt special I feel. I'm one of those people that likes dead strings though.

i much prefer using nickel strings as they feel better to play, i don't really notice the difference between nickel and steel strings on stage. The biggest sounding strings i've used were a 6 string set of yellow label warwick, sounded really good , but they wore out VERY quickly

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='500117' date='May 28 2009, 06:13 PM']I wanna put a new set of strings on my Cort Artisan B5. It's bog standard with 2 x Bartolini Mk1 soapbars. I'm happy with the thumping bottom end and don't want to lose any of that, but I'd like a bit more mid growl and a bit more top end "zing". I'm comfortable with the tension and overall feel of standard 45, 65, 85, 105, 125, and definitely don't want to go any lighter than that, but would be happy to try a heavier gauge. I like the sound ([i]sic[/i]) of coated strings from a maintenance point of view, but does the coating dull the sound?

Now, bear in mind that I haven't changed the strings on this instrument in 2 years, and I haven't changed the strings on any instrument I've owned in over 20 years, where should I start?

I have no idea what's on it at the moment - it's whatever it was supplied with. So, will I get what I'm looking for with pretty much any new strings, or is there anything to particularly consider or avoid?

As always, thanks for any advice/suggestions.

:)[/quote]
As ever in a strings thread I will recommend Elixir Nanoweb's 45-130 (you have to buy a 4 string set and a separate B but no great problem).

I did try different brand coated set once a couple of years back and they did affect the sound and dull it (sorry I can't remember what, they were sh1te so did not stay on long), [u]but I have never had that problem with the Elixirs[/u].

They are good for at least 6 months of rehearsal and an average of a gig a week.

I have always found them to have a good balanced sound across the neck with a good fundamental and a nice zing that sound great in a rock covers environment on my L2500.

They go on and sound great from the get go without any initial breaking in, and then go on & on. I can't remember when I put the last set on but it's been a while and they were still sounding good last night - though I probably do need to think about changing them soon now.

If you use a pick (as I do) and dig in you will end up with some coating "dandruff".

They are a bit more expensive - though not too bad if you shop around - but the extra life more than makes up for that

I've tried [i]Elixers[/i] on a four string Alembic Essence and on a five string Fender Roscoe Beck and they do last long with consistent sound.
But the basic sound of those strings isn't quite as good as other brands. Nowadays I prefer [i]Thomastiks[/i] (Alloys, flats and acousticores and Blues Sliders for guitar). Unfortunately they don't make doubleball strings so my headless goes with [i]Elites[/i]. When I started out playing (early '80s) everything was about [i]Rotosound Swingbass[/i] but these sets often had a bad-dead string in 'm. Others I've used and liked (stated with the favoured bass to go with them) are [i]GHS Bassboomers[/i] (on Alembic), gold plated [i]Maximas[/i] (Fender P), [i]Sadowsky[/i] (Sadowsky), [i]Fodera[/i] (Yamaha fivestring), [i]Elite[/i] (Leader fourstring), [i]LaBella Hard Rockin Steel[/i] (Tokai J-copy), [i]Yamaha[/i] roundwounds (on several basses), [i]Warwick yellow[/i] (Knooren custom sixstring) and [i]GHS Powerbrite[/i] (Steinberger). Strings I didn't like: [i]Vinci, d'Addario, DR, Fender[/i] (except for the original strings on the Roscoe Beck),[i] Gibson groundwound, Dean Markley cryogenic treated Blue Steels[/i]. Only effective on some basses: [i]Elixers, Superwound (exposed core), Alembic (easy to break), Rotosound Jazz flats. [/i]