Why become a member? ×

A new beginning

Yesterday I contacted the local music school and enrolled for lessons in upright starting from September. I've been playing electric bass among other instruments for years, but I don't think I've ever been this excited about getting into a new instrument. Beginner's tips etc very much appreciated!

• Like 1

1) Find some interesting material you want to learn and play (I do not think scales and Simandl are the highest in that list...).

2 a) Learn the basics right in the first phase.

2 b) If something does not feel right, ask first, act then (muscles, strings, bow, position...). So called stupid questions are important now.

3) Set some reasonable goal once or twice a year.

4 a) Play a lot.

4 b) Play with a band.

5) Enjoy.

You want to play jazz (actually: anything), learn two beat, four beat and then walking in this particular order.

• Like 3

The course is called JPR (jazz-pop-rock) as opposed to classical (orchestral) DB. It's very introductory technique-wise as well as touching on different genres featuring the instrument. I guess a lot of it also comes down to personal interest. I'll probably be leaning more toward the jazz side of things.

Ok! Sounds good. 

I've only ever had two double bass lessons (.both classical). But I play the cello too, so the transition wasn't that hard.  Did work through a lot of simandl tho:and needed the lessons to get out of a rut.

Left hand Technique for jazz and classical is the same, but few classical bass teachers know how to do a proper jazz style pizzicato!  Also worth finding someone to help you with which notes to p!ay.

I only really got into jazz by playing at workshops, sessions and then a regular band.  There's a limit to what you can learn at home on your own.  And there are no end of jazz sessions about these days.

The main difference from electric is the muscle work involved.  I'd advise playing a bit every day and doing a lot of dull half position semi tone stuff to build up your left hand... and don't cheat on left hand Technique: stick to proper positions keeping fingers 1 ,2 & 4 a semi tone apart, else it's easy to get lost and out of tune ( no chance for a quick glance at the frets!)

Good luck & report back!

• Like 2

There is a whole world of great lessons on Youtube. I've personally found Geoff Chalmers  'Discover Double Bass" , particularly the beginners section, and Matt Rybicki's channel  to be very clear and  helpful. I'm sure others will have recommendations if self-study is what you like to do.

https://www.youtube.com/@DiscoverDoubleBass

https://www.youtube.com/@LearnJazzBasswithMattRybicki

• Like 1

I would add to this that if you have the opportunity to learn how to use a bow from your teacher, it will serve you very well and ultimately speed up your learning a lot.

It is helpful as a learning tool, because it forces you to have a good position in relation to the bass, and it really shines a spotlight on your intonation and forces you to relax and use just the necessary muscles. 

But it will also be an incredibly useful skill if you would like to play pop, folk or bluegrass. It is probably least useful in jazz and blues, though there are plenty of examples of players who make good use of it there too. 

Posted (edited)

I second the advice of learning to use a bow. 

Playing with your fingers only unlocks about 10% of what a bass can actually do. Arco is where it's at. 

Obviously when you pluck a string it's only going one way.... Dying away. 

With a bow you can REALLY shake the walls. 

You don't see many violinist solely plucking... its exactly the same for  the bass. 

Get a bow, decent strings and a pot of Nymans / Kolstiene and let rip. 

Remember, 500 yrs ago the bass was designed to be bowed, never plucked (that's why it's the shape it is) 

But more importantly, have fun. 

Edited by Bloopdad1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Bloopdad1 said:

You don't see many violinist solely plucking..

That's because a plucked violin sounds like someone dropping ball bearings in a tin bath, whereas a pizzicato bass sounds sublime. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, NickA said:

That's because a plucked violin sounds like someone dropping ball bearings in a tin bath, whereas a pizzicato bass sounds sublime. 

And not forgetting the wonderfully complex and rich sound of a bowed violin is almost as glorious as a top quality bowed bass... 😁 

As other people have said, work on your left hand shape, and make sure that you don't squeeze the strings with your hand muscles. You should be aiming to use your arm muscles to pull the strings down onto the fingerboard.

Also, don't be in a rush to get higher up the neck - you can create a lot of music by staying in "half position" (i.e. first finger on the F on the E string).

• Like 1

Oooo half position. Simandls favourite.  Painful.  I avoid going there whenever possible.   But if you're playing with saxophones it's unavoidable .. and a well developed left hand is essential.