Why become a member? ×

London International Music Show

[quote name='Golchen' post='513914' date='Jun 15 2009, 10:23 AM']Anyone see the older guy with fair hair slapping a bass very effectively (on the Rotosound stand?) He's always at these shows, and always gets a crowd to hear his 'noodling'. I had a chat to try and get some pointers, but since getting home I just can't get the really cool fretting hand dampening that he makes look so easy.[/quote]

i think i know the guy you mean, i saw TM Stevens stop and watch him, then give the guy a high 5 afterwards, he seemed really impressed.

From a guitar and bass point of view I thought the whole thing was a complete waste of time and money. It was by far the worst year and has just been getting worse and worse IMHO.

I remeber going to the original London Guitar Show before they moved to the Excel and it was amazing. I even remeber there being Celinder basses there one year. There were more freebies everyone was friendlier and more willing to let you play and it just had a better vibe for me. I was dissapointed there was a no show from some large companies as some others have said but the whole thing just seemed botched!

I knew Overwater and Fender were not going but was interested to see other companies that were there. I was so looking forward to seeing and playing some Lakland Skylines as I have really loved the look of them. I was terribly dissapointed. I was however totally shocked by a few bases I didnt think I would like. The Peavey Cirrus basses both on the peavey and Trace stands were brilliant, played amazing as did the 5 string TRB on the yamaha stand, what and instrument. Also pretty much every bass on the Warwick stand I found very playable particularly the maple? streamer 5 custom......wow!

I was fortunate enough to catch a brilliant talk that Dave marks did with a guitarist (forgot his name now) about riffs and song building. It was great really enjoyable and by far the highlight of the day, and i fell in love with Daves white Marcus Jazz. I also had a good chat with the chap at the Apple stand who was very enthusiastic and knowledgable. I also caught TM stevens which I thought was just over-indulgent and noisy, particularly when Marco Mendoza and another guy came on stage.....3 bass players is 2 too many IMHO. I left after 3 minutes...

Anyway wont go next year, Im with Fender and Gibson, waste of time and money!

I think the show has lost direction to be honest. It doesn't seem to know whether its a trade fair, a consumer retail show, or a tuition / band showcase. It seems to be trying to be all three, and not actually doing any of them well.

The Warwick stand was great, with some really nice basses, and impressive Framus guitars. But given the quality of the show, you could hardly blame them if they felt that it was a waste of time and money exhibiting next year.

Got back around 8 in the evening having caught a train up 12 hours earlier and after only a few hours sleep following Saturdays mammoth gig.

The show was a bit spares, but the crowd I was with had a good day out anyway. My drummer, former vocalists brother (also a drummer) and his two sons plus former keyboard player and his son. Had a good laugh throughout the day and came home with a few bits, including anAuralex Gramma for under £30.

Didn't play much, a bit of a noodle on a 'Ray on the Strings & Things stand but otherwise nothing much - probably 'cos nothing much caught my eye.

Watched Nicko McBrain & Pete Lockett (interesting but a bit samey after a while) and Simon McBride who was good, but for whom the audience dwindled as the set went on. Missed Albert Lee & Jan Akkerman.

I didn't think the volume levels generally were as bad as previous years. I had my plugs and used them a fair bit, but in many areas and for much of the time there didn't seem much need.

Not sure I shall bother next year unless a few more of the big players in the instrument business are there.

I think the whole spirit of these shows have been lost. I remember 10 years ago that these shows used to enable the small guys to exhibit their stuff - the tiny players in the market who are now priced out of exhibiting at such shows. These were the shows that you got to learn about the what was really out there. Now it just seems to be the big corporations... and to be honest, most of the Fenders, Gibsons, Warwicks etc... are things that you could see at any of the larger retailers in the country.

I think it's a shame that the little guys don't get a chance anymore... and it's shame that the innovation of the little guys run the risk of being lost due to them not being able to get the exposure they need.

In reality, very little business comes out of these shows now - it's all about impulsive purchasing of accessories. Shows need the larger manufacturers to be there to give the show come credibility but I would hazard a guess that them themselves actually gain very little if anything from the show following the expensive of being there. It's interesting to see that people are now choosing to exhibit more carefully. The obvious chase for any bass related product to exhibit in the UK is the Bass Day in Manchester - a captive audience.

Sad. Bring back the old days and get rid of the corporate BS that is taking over the world.

considering this show is supposed to replace the old MIA trade fair (BMF), i feel that the organizers are selling the whole industry short.
the BMF was always informative and there were always new products available for demo. The organisers seem to be keen to create a show that everyone could attend, but have in essence alienated more manufacturers / distributors and suppliers.
many of my friends within the industry are reporting that their profits are up and sales are buoyant, yet feel that the prices being charged for floor space are becoming prohibitive. The trade needs somewhere where they can look for new stock lines to add, which means that ATM you'll have to head to frankfurt, whereas the focus at LIMS seems to have moved to the end consumer, rather than the aforementioned shops / retailers.
I'm hoping that next year the organisers of the show will return to more of a trade-show-with-added-public-access approach, and be somewhat more competitive pricing structure for exhibitors.
Here's hoping!!!

The problem is with Frankfurt is that it is still expensive for the small guys to exhibit. Theres the hall costs (which in themselves aren't cheap - you don't see many small guys at Frankfurt either - unless they are roaming the floor with thier wares trying to get people interested) but also the transportation costs which can be astronomical.